Page 123 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1453

Thread: What are you Reading?

Read a few sections of Insectopedia by Hugh Raffles for a graduate workshop I had this morning. It was a pretty good experience.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

I'm reading the books on Man Booker prize's shortlist. So far I am astonished by how so many poorly written books could be shorlisted for an award once A S. Byatt was given for Possession. I think having a small kid as a pratagonist and trying to make your book sound cute and innocent with it is a terrible trend. And I think if you don't have anything new to say about racisim you should shut up, it only makes the problems seem less important. In conclusion, 2011 is a terrible year for literature except for the translation of 1Q84 by Murakami which I am reading & loving right now.

And T, more recommendations on science fiction please. I can't get enough of this genre.
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk should be read by every high school student so they can be like "dude, wtf, this sucks."

Ken Follett: The Third Twin

Exaggerated, weak and all in all pretty disappointing. Definitely not his best work.

Quote Originally Posted by killer_queen View Post
    I'm reading the books on Man Booker prize's shortlist. So far I am astonished by how so many poorly written books could be shorlisted for an award once A S. Byatt was given for Possession. I think having a small kid as a pratagonist and trying to make your book sound cute and innocent with it is a terrible trend. And I think if you don't have anything new to say about racisim you should shut up, it only makes the problems seem less important. In conclusion, 2011 is a terrible year for literature except for the translation of 1Q84 by Murakami which I am reading & loving right now.

And T, more recommendations on science fiction please. I can't get enough of this genre.
    It's a difficult genre to recommend, in all honesty - it's hard to find things which are written properly in it. I give a lot of things a chance - I just got through Peter F. Hamilton's Void trilogy, which is alright at best, very uneven - and most of it isn't worth it.

If you haven't, try reading The Insult by Rupert Thomson. It isn't Sci-Fi but it has elements which are interesting nonetheless, and I remember you liking Kiss Me, Judas. Not that the two are related, but I like both. Otherwise, in terms of good sci-fi that isn't Bradbury or Dan Simmons' Hyperion series... hard to say, really. I'd need more time to think. Maybe The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin or Embassytown by China Mieville, but both of those are slightly haunted by the writers' vision and the narratives suffer a bit as a result.

At the Medieval reading group I got to, last week we read the 12th century Andreas Cappelanus' On Love, or De Amore, if you please. It was actually really funny. My favourite quote from it:

"It can not be in keeping with manly appearance to deck oneself out like a woman, or to be a slave to the body's adornments. That marvellous poet Ovid also condemned and censured such men:
    "Young men decked out like ladies, come not near:
    A manly form prefers but modest care"
    Likewise, should you see a woman painted too heavily with colours of the rainbow, do not select her beauty without first taking a careful look at her on another occasion when she is not on holiday, because a woman who puts her trust in body-paint alone is usually not generously endowed with gifts of character."

And I am currently reading Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut. So far so god.

About 400 pages into War and Peace. Only a thousand or so more!
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Right now I am reading English Idiomatic Expressions. Need to study all of this for my english class.
    Last edited by itamgshred; 11-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.

F. Scott Fitzgerald - Tender Is the Night

Not as narratively tight as his other books so far, but I'll be damned if this isn't one of the most exquisitely detailed, beautifully written pieces I've ever read.

I'm reading The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. I really loved At Swim-Two-Birds, so hoping this will be just as great. So far it's weird and wonderful anyway.

Misery - Stephen King

Scary and compelling at the same time - just can't stop reading.
    A couple of years ago I watched a stage play based on this.
    The movie was great too - especially Kathy Bates portraying Anne.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptpaEntid74

Still I wonder how he (Stephen King) manages to come up with stuff like this ... so weird.