Page 126 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1510

Thread: What are you Reading?

I recently finished Denis Lehane's "Shutter Island"! It's just perfect! I suggest for it! I am reading Stephen King's "The Talisman" now. It's not as interesting as the King's rest of.
    Last edited by Defender; 03-01-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    Enslave my mind...

Recently read:
    - Thinking fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman (best book I have read in a while)
    - Grand Pursuit: The Story of Economic Genius by Sylvia Nasar (good, but ends strangly by quickly going over Friedman and Sen in the end).
    - Keynes by Skidelsky (the way a biography should be written)

Currently reading:
    - Manias, Panics, and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises by Kindleberger and Aliber (very hard to read at times, needs some serious editing and rewriting)

Up next:
    -Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein
    -Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World by Liaquat Ahamed
    -Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World by Margaret MacMillan

Dolores Claiborne - Stephen King

Different style of storytelling since it is a first-person narrative without chapters and stuff.

UGH nothing
    i really need to pick up a book though! I need to find time.
    I'm catching the dumb.

Finished The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. I was a bit disappointed as his other two were amazing. But it was stilll good enough.

I'm now reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Marakumi and really like it so far.

I'm after Master and Margarita, and now I'm watching its screening, russian miniseries, kinda like I was reading it again, it's so beautifully accurate.

Ballad of the Two Tom Mores. Just started it.

Just finished Surface Detail, by Ian M. Banks. Another of his Culture novels, though it's the first I've read. I have to say, it leaves me meh... My sci-fi and fantasy addiction is quickly waning under the lemons I've picked the last few times out.

I still have plans to get through A Brief History of Neoliberalism by David Harvey and Luhmann Explained: Introduction to Social Systems theory (an Edited volume) in my spare time. But sometimes I like to read something which is either beatifully written or exquisite garbage. Pickings have been slim on both fronts due to time. So far the Ballad of the Two Tom Mores has been decent. I hope it continues to impress.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Scar Tissue, the biography of Anthony Kiedis. Pretty cool to know his live was/is. Where and how he growed up.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkosV View Post
    Scar Tissue, the biography of Anthony Kiedis. Pretty cool to know his live was/is. Where and how he growed up.
    Yeah, this book is great and his life was/maybe still is interesting.
    Enslave my mind...

How the Leopard Changed Its Spots: The Evolution of Complexity by Brian Goodwin. Pretty interesting book about evolutionary biology. Comes from the structuralist persuasion that I'm generally partial to. This book is wildly unpopular among the mainstream Anglo-American scientific community because most people seem to think he's trying to refute evolution or something. He's doing nothing of the sort. He's refuting genocentrism. Not genetics, not the fact that genes are important, but the idea that they do everything. He's not the greatest writer, so he doesn't express the overarching points of his examples all that well and sometimes sounds like a broken record repeating the same phrases, but he's obviously a smart and forward-thinking mathematician and biologist and I generally think that the individual examples he provides all have merit. He essentially argues that interactions with the environment shape the structure of organisms in a hand-in-hand relationship with genetics. This falls flat beyond single-celled organisms or developmental stages of more complex organisms, because beyond that point, from the perspective of the molecules responsible for altering the structure, the organism is the environment, but then again he doesn't really ever try to say that adult complex organisms can grow thick fur coats just because it's cold or something. While I'm not familiar with Goodwin's other work, it seems to me like he's been misinterpreted because (a) his writing style sometimes lacks clarity, and (b) modern-day biologists just like to kiss Dawkins' ass because genocentrism is neat and tidy and reductive.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. Yep. I haven't read it since I was 11 and realized that my memory on the details of the story was foggy. I didn't even remember what Tolkien's style was like. I rather enjoy his casual, children-friendly tone in this book.

The CIA World Factbook. OK, I'm not reading the whole thing cover to cover, but I know so many random and useless facts about countries that I figured it was high time to flesh them out with a bit of useful information. It's better organized and more concise than Wikipedia, so I think I'll retain more information than if I were just to try to make myself smarter by Wiki-surfing.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 03-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    My previous signature was getting old. This is my new one.