Page 142 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1453

Thread: What are you Reading?

I am reading The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell.

It is a fascinating account of poverty and industrialization - for me, no one else has ever really written being poor and miserable like George Orwell. Down and Out in Paris and London is another classic of his.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Claim Me by J. Kenner

Needful Things by Stephen King. I'm liking it so far.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Good timing! I’m reading a ton of stuff at the moment. I finished Manning Marable’s “Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention” just days before he died.

Post Office - Charles Bukowski
    Gotta admit the writing was a little challenging at first (rough and messed up) - meanwhile I've come to like reading it and am almost through.
    Turn the lights on.

Complete Me by J. Kenner

The long walk by Richard Bachman

One hundred teenage boys participate in an annual walking contest called "The Long Walk." Each Walker must maintain a speed of at least four miles per hour; if he drops below that speed for 30 seconds, he receives a verbal warning. A Walker who slows down again after receiving three warnings is "ticketed." The meaning of this term is intentionally kept vague at first, but it soon becomes clear that "buying a ticket" means to be shot dead by soldiers riding in half-tracks along the roadside. Walkers may be shot immediately for certain serious violations, such as trying to leave the road or attacking the half-track, and are given warnings for minor violations such as interfering with one another. The soldiers use electronic equipment to precisely determine a Walker's speed.
    Turn the lights on.

Paul McAuley's Gardens of the Sun. Follow-up after The Quiet War. There are 2 more books in this series, but placed far in the future.
    I drank from your hands I drank from your mouth you poured into me until I was drowned I had no breath was drunk on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by EarY View Post
    The long walk by Richard Bachman
    I love how King used the Bachman pseudonym to really try out some different stuff to his usual fare. I mean, I guess that's always the point of writing under an assumed name, and in reality King didn't deviate all that far from his established genre I suppose. It's not like he started writing romance novels. Whatever. I'm digressing. Point is, King usually pleases me the most when he gets furthest away from his typical horror routine. He also really shines at novellas and short stories, which is perhaps surprising considering his novels tend to be epic tomes that go on forever. The Bachman books had a tendency to incorporate interesting sci-fi concepts done in a fairly high-brow manner, meaning the sci-fi was allegorical more often that merely gratuitous fun. Bachman could arguably be said to have more literary credibility than King, but only because King's amazing work, such as the seminal collection Different Seasons, is generally overshadowed by his supernatural fare.

Anyway, did you enjoy it?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Well.. Dear friends.. Hobit xP