Page 23 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

Mota Boy, Thus Spoke is a great book. However it starts out quite slowly, which is a pity because it is brilliantly written and basically gives a good summary of the basics of Nihilism and the Super-man theory.

Diary of a Loser - Eduard Limonov
    It's a good book, very nihilistic, morally speaking. Quite interesting. A pity the author is such a dick today.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by HornyPope
    Treasure Island is a great book... for eight year olds
    Pshk, get off your high horse. Treasure Island is a supurbly written book no matter what your age. Just because eight-year-olds can read it and it has no deeper meaning doesn't mean that we as adults should shun it. I never read it as a child and it's a cultural touchstone that I realized I should pick up, not to mention its simple pleasure as a "beach book" - should I choose to indulge in escapist reading then this is much preferrable to the latest Robin Cook novel. Not to mention the wonderful insight it gives me into the life of my progenity. I challenge you to stop by a bookstore, read the first chapter and then cast it off as overly childish.

Oh, and I'm also reading the Bible (New Testament)... slowly. If a more important book ever came out, I'll go out drinking and picking up women at bars for a whole year.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

crime and punishment. great book.
    Rita corny, Michael

Theodor Fontane - Irrungen,Wirrungen

terrible book :(

im reading 'ark angel' by anthony horrorwitz

shk, get off your high horse. Treasure Island is a supurbly written book no matter what your age. Just because eight-year-olds can read it and it has no deeper meaning doesn't mean that we as adults should shun it. I never read it as a child and it's a cultural touchstone that I realized I should pick up, not to mention its simple pleasure as a "beach book" - should I choose to indulge in escapist reading then this is much preferrable to the latest Robin Cook novel. Not to mention the wonderful insight it gives me into the life of my progenity. I challenge you to stop by a bookstore, read the first chapter and then cast it off as overly childish.
    I read the book... when I was eight years old Lol. I'll be the first to jump to the defense of many ageless classics that kids and adults read alike, such as Little Prince, Jungle Book and other Kipling stories, Tolkien novels, Andersen short stories etc... but Treasure Island? I haven't uncovered the 'deeper meaning' to it. Wanna fill me in?
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

Tribulation Force jerry jenkins and tim layhae

i just finished bloody jack, & Halo the fall of reach
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_offspring_gal
    i do hear voices..........i hear stupid people!
    thats why i can hear myself! LOL
    in the words of the great and wise Tommy Vercetti "DICKS YOUR ALL DICKS"

I wanted to find a nice way to bump this topic, so I thought I'd type out a hilarious little quote from Down Under by Bill Bryson, the book I've just finished. I laugh out loud every time I read this.

"By the time I flopped into central Fremantle, it was late afternoon and I was comprehensively bushed. I went into a pub and downed a beer for medicinal purposes.

'You all right?' said the barmaid.

'Yeah,' I replied. 'Why?'

'Seen your face?'

I knew at once. 'Am I sunburned?' I asked bleakly.

She gave a frank, sympathetic but essentially deeply amused nod.

I peered past her into the mirror behind the bar. Looking back at me, mockingly attired in clothes to match my own, was a cartoon character called Mr Tomato Head. I allow myself a small sigh. For the next four days, I would be a source of constant concern to every elderly Western Australian and of amusement to all else. Then for three days more, as my skin flaked and peeled and I took on the look of someone just escaped from a leprosarium, the mood would change to universal horror and revulsion. Waitresses would drop trays; gawkers would walk into lamp-posts; ambulance drivers would slow as they passed and look over me carefully. It would, as always, be a quiet ordeal. In another three or four hours I would be in tender pain. Meanwhile, I was already a small wreck. My feet and legs hurt so much that I wasn't sure they would ever be of service to me again. I was as dirty as a street urchin and rank enough to be buried. And all of this so I could see a house I had no actual interest in seeing and then walk on to a place that I was now too tired to explore.. Sighing, I lowered myself gingerly from the bar stool and limped through the staring crowds to see if I could find a taxi to take me back to the city."
    "I don't cut my grass. I threaten it."

I'm reading The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (the full collection) NOT because of the movie; I started before I heard about it.