Page 24 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemmingway. I hate Catherine. She's everything I don't like in a woman.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by calichix
    A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemmingway. I hate Catherine. She's everything I don't like in a woman.
    I hear ya' there. I didn't like Farewell nearly as much as I liked The Sun Also Rises.

I'm reading "Running with Scissors". It's a hilarious, completely fucked up book. I ate at a local pizzarria tonight and the waitress tried to pick up conversation about the book. "What are you reading? ... Really? I've been looking for something to read lately, maybe I'll look into that." I did my best to warn her. "It's the craziest thing you'll ever read - funny as Hell but really, really weird." I didn't want to be the one to refer the book with incestual paedofelia and beastialitylike behavior as casual asides. Basically, the book can be summed up in two sentiments - "Wow, my life is really boring." Quickly followed by "Thank God for that!".

Soon I'll start a biography of Lenny Bruce.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

reading my lab manual *sigh*

make school go away

right now? reading the forums, duh
    ________
    Brunette Threesome
    Last edited by 0r4ng3; 03-29-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Revolution on Canvas (poetry from members of indie bands)

I think Catherine had the least memorable character ever. I could barely remember anything she did. Then again, I did read that book quite a while ago. For some reason she very much reminds me of a the women in the short story "Hills like White Elephants" by the same author.

My favourite Hemingway novel is For Whom the Bell Tolls.
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

Just a nice tidbit from Don Quixote I ought to write down lest I forget. Does it happen to you people often that you read a great passage worthy to note down but don't feel like interupting the book? Sometimes I would mark down the page on my pack of gum (because it's usualy the only paper I carry, and I refuse to write on the book in any form) but most often I just forget and whatever I wanted to quote gets lost. Poo.

"We are all us mortal--here today and gone tomorow, and Death eats the lamb as soon as the sheep, and nobody can promise himself more hours of life in this world than God wishes to give him, for Death is deaf, and when he comes to knock at our door he is always in a hurry, and neither prayers, nor force, nor scepters, nor mitres can delay him, as the common saying goes, and as they tell us from the pulpits."
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

Quote Originally Posted by calichix
    I read that not THAT long ago but have a terrible memory. One of the noteworthy things I remember was the bizarre hair obsession. I always think about that. How she would fan her hair out and he would sleep on it, and then he wanted to grow his hair out like her because he was so obsessed. If I recall correctly, anyway.

Cause my boyfriend hates sleeping anywhere near my hair, hell I hate sleeping with it anywhere near my face as well.

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Quote Originally Posted by HornyPope
    I think Catherine had the least memorable character ever. I could barely remember anything she did. Then again, I did read that book quite a while ago. For some reason she very much reminds me of a the women in the short story "Hills like White Elephants" by the same author.

My favourite Hemingway novel is For Whom the Bell Tolls.
    well catherine is this little bitch who always says stuff like, "I'm not me anymore. I have no me. I'm you." and "I'm sorry. I won't speak. I'm a good girl. Tell me I'm a good girl?" It drives me crazy.

everyone loves the old man and the sea but I couldn't take it seriously cause it's a book about overcoming adversity from a dude who killed himself. I read it twice to try and appreciate it but it just wasn't happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

i was reading the whole collection of the hitchhikers guide and i also started berfore hearing of the movie, but my friend heard about the movie and took my book....grr.. now im reading When Thunder Rolled. it's about a pilot of an f-105 and his campaign over vietnam.. not my cup of tea but it passes the time.