Page 42 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

I've just finished reading Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. and on the side I was reading a few books by Malthus and Ricardo. Oh and Milton Friedman is just fantastic. I am truly starting to see the virtues of a minimalistic state and absolutely no economic regulations. Liberty and Property!

i'm reading a farewell to arms by ernest hemingway. dirty little man.

I just finished Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. fucked up. It's a great read though. I definitely recommend it.

now I'm reading

Fear And Loathing: On the Campaign trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Studly
    I've just finished reading Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. and on the side I was reading a few books by Malthus and Ricardo. Oh and Milton Friedman is just fantastic. I am truly starting to see the virtues of a minimalistic state and absolutely no economic regulations. Liberty and Property!
    Justin, wtf?
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

BREAK Guest

East of Eden by Steinbeck
    The Thin Man by Hammett
    Pride and Prejudice by Austen (yes, after about the 40,936,812th screen version, I've finally decided to give it a chance)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Justin, wtf?
    Muahahahaha! Muera la revolucion!

Justin, in case you are actually reading those, you might want to check out Wealth Against Commonwealth by Henry Demarest Lloyd and History of the Standard Oil Company by Ida Tarbell (the former one's easier to read, but the latter goes into more detail) to get a dissenting viewpoint about capitalism running truly unchecked.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Lord Of The Flies by William Golding

I don't have much commentary on it at the moment (seeing how I'm not too far into it) other than I like it a hell of a lot more than Madam Bovary , Jane Eyre and To Kill A Mockingbird .

Sick of politicians, And politics
    And prisons, Lyin' and runnin' my life.
    You pathetic preachers and hypocritic leaders,
    Smilin' and wastin' my time.

Sick of your religions and full of shit opinions,
    Tired of waiting to die.
    Run me in, I'll do it all again,
    Motherfucker I'm still alive...

--------------------------------------------------

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Exclamation

I'm still reading Great Expectations. I've got a major crush on Charles Dickens. I took a break to read Post Office by Charles Bukowski. It started out great but it fizzled off into reaaaaaally redundant pissing and moaning about the ins-and-outs of postal service and betting at race tracks. Dude, SHUT UP, Charles. Get back to banging dumb sluts and drowning your sorrows in alcoholism!
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

Thumbs up

The Art of Insulting, by Arthur Schopenhauer.

I thought that instead of an imbecile daily check on my horoscope in the morning newspaper i could take a paragraph of the best philosophy i've ever read and put it against my own self. The guy has a positioning. And he insults a lot. I don't need any other "sack of wind" philosophy anymore.

Rules of Sociological Method by Durkheim. Just started, can't make a comment now.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk should be read by every high school student so they can be like "dude, wtf, this sucks."