Page 62 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

I had to read The House on Mango Street in like...8th grade for summer reading. They were using it to introduce us to diversity. I don't remember anything else about it.

i guess it's all about the dream

Lying on the Couch, by Irvin D. Yalom.

Fiction novel of psychiatrists's interaction with theyr patients inside and outside the doctor's office. And theyr lies.

"...to taste the forbidden fruit of what a therapist might really be thinking during a therapy session."

The book is a bit dense - there's too much info on the characters. Enough info to get them diagnosed, but, since there are lots of characters, it doesn't get very interesting to get to know each one.

His newest book, The Schopenhauer Heal, settles that problem by placing everybody inside a group of therapy, making the characters interact with each other, so i recommend this one. It's a very enjoyable novel. Memorable.
    Last edited by Preocupado; 08-10-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rag Doll
    I had to read The House on Mango Street in like...8th grade for summer reading. They were using it to introduce us to diversity. I don't remember anything else about it.
    ditto. complete crap. what literature class are you in, break? shitty books 13 year olds are forced to read 101?

Catcher In The Rye I like it its not some book with a hidden message or anything which to me is the best part. i dont wanna get preached to.

Next i'll prolly be reading a biography on the Beastie Boys.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

I just read The Wasp Factory. It left me feeling lonely, uncomfortable, dirty, frightened, sickened and disturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarallica
    I'm reading 1984 by George Orwell (for the third time) because I'm doing it for A level and also about 4 books about Spain in the 16th Century, also for A level. I don't have time to read as much/what I want because of school.
    I just had to read that for my AP English class.

I'm reading "Great Gatsby". An american classic. I have to read it for english class, I wouldn't pick it up for a reading, but I admit, it has something.
    "You'll find me...
    When people lose hope..."

American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer. Damn terrific biography on the life of the famous American physicist, first hailed as a hero for his lead role in the Manhattan Project and then later demonized for it. It's one of the most thorough bios I've read and I can see why the authors snagged a Pulitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Studly
    I just read The Wasp Factory. It left me feeling lonely, uncomfortable, dirty, frightened, sickened and disturbed.
    With an endorsement like that, I might have to check it out.

I'm reading "Death Match", by Lincoln Child. It's about some couples that are found dead, and appearently they had commited double suicide. An there's a former FBI forensic psychologist that has to clear that up.

It's a pretty interesting thriller, I'm really enjoying it.

the castle of otranto, in english, forgot the author, coz its part of a collection of gothic novels from different writers.
    its not too hard to understand, for not-native-speakers even if theres alot of older english like thee, thou ,thy, arst n stuff, but the old constructions sound pretty german so its easy for me.
    we may be human, but we're still animals