Page 71 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    We were assigned Animal Farm in English, I finished that in a day. Now I'm reading 1984, so far it's pretty good.

After that I have nothing to read, any suggestions?
    Wow! Last year we were assigned that too. Also, we got assigned The Fifth Child. Actually we got assigned 1984, freshmen year we were assigned Animal Farm, and a book called Big Mouth & Ugly Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    We were assigned Animal Farm in English, I finished that in a day. Now I'm reading 1984, so far it's pretty good.

After that I have nothing to read, any suggestions?
    Down and Out in Paris and London, if you want to stick to the 'Orwell' theme.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lightbulb

I just finished Cat's Cradle. I'm falling far behind on my intended pace of reading this year, and there's nothing like Vonnegut for knocking out a good book in a short amount of time. It's a bit depressing hurtling toward the inevitable conclusion, and I think Bokonism is the most redeeming factor of the whole thing, and I particularly like the Dynamic Tension between good and evil, though the insight into the post-WWII mindset regarding suspicion of science is particularly interesting, especially since I wrote a paper last year on Edward Teller, a tireless proponent of nuclear technology and one of the models for Dr. Strangelove. Still, I found it a might disappointing, but I suppose it's all downhill when you start your foray into Vonnegut with Slaughterhouse 5.

Now I'm going to take another stab at finishing Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. It's not nearly as consuming as the excellent Snow Crash and some of the race and class undertones seem forced, and the philosophical and cultural aspects of a fictitious 22nd-century society aren't as inviting. Hopefully this time around I'll get into it a bit more.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Roll Of Thunder: Hear My Cry

its was terrible basically, way overpraised by its readers; the story was slow and dull and the characters had no real depth.
    Last edited by F@ BANKZ; 11-13-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Edited to correct awful grammer on my behalf.

Anyone know when the new harry potter book is coming out??

I'm sure Google does.
    I might actually check that out along with the Sixth one. The Fourth and Fifth though not anything special weren't bad at all.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbal View Post
    Anyone know when the new harry potter book is coming out??
    I think it's July 27th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Was it true that she had people writing for her??

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbal View Post
    Was it true that she had people writing for her??
    So true. i was one of them.

This thread needs bumping.

Straight Is The Gate: I liked it; it was good- 9/10
    The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with The Sea: I also loved this one- 9/10
    War of the Worlds: 8/10worthy. 8/10

I might elaborate tomorrow.
    but not in a gay way