Page 79 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

In the excitement of my last post, i guess i forgot to mention that i was reading; yesterday i read Machiavelli's Discourses. Pretty interesting stuff, I enjoyed them more then i did with the Prince.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    No you didn't, no one finishes Catch-22.
    Ha. I never finished it. I had loaned it from the school library and it got recalled.

That'll teach me to take out books from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    No you didn't, no one finishes Catch-22.
    I've read that shit TWICE!

I'm reading "Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin right now. It's kind of amazing.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post

agreed... i've read catch 22 a couple times and will probably read it again soon for good measure

Currently reading the rabbit series by updike

I wanna join the Catch-22 TWO TIMES club! I finished it for the second time a couple months ago!

I'm currently reading The Many Lives Of Tom Waits, A Brief History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, and Welcome To The Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut.

I have about 10 other books on my shelf, waiting to be read, including Into The Wild, The Master And Margarita, and Fast Food Nation. Ugh, when will I have time for this

i've been reading the amazing adventures of cavalier and clay by michael chabon for the past few months. it's a thicke book, i can't read for longer than 4 or 5 hours so it makes it really hard to finish this mother fucker, although it's incredibly enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthz View Post
    Good thread.

I just read St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised By Wolves by Karen Russel. It was a fun little short story. I liked what it had to say.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    In the excitement of my last post, i guess i forgot to mention that i was reading; yesterday i read Machiavelli's Discourses. Pretty interesting stuff, I enjoyed them more then i did with the Prince.
    It's not interesting. I mean about 40% of it is interesting, the other 60% is useless Roman military tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Those look pretty interesting; i'll probably check a couple of them out during my reading week, along with the latest Niall Ferguson book.
    Just out of interest, since you do political science IIRC, do they already teach or treat constructivism on equal footing with (neo-)realism and liberalism in International Relations theory in Canada? Or is it considered more like the little brother of the 3, or do they teach some other theory as the third one (like marxist inspired ones).

Meh the Niall Ferguson one isn't that great. I saw the documentary he made and quickly went through the book at the library to see if he made better arguments in the book, which he didn't. The history he offers of financial instruments is quite okay (obviously quite boring in parts) but his arguments regarding the financial crisis are quite lacking. He like Bernanke, Paulson and Greenspan basically blame it on the savings glut from oil exporting countries, Germany and obviously China. Thus high savings there result in a lot of money being available to be borrowed, thus pushing US interest rates down and making cheap credit available to Americans. So Americans were forced to accept all that cheap credit and were forced to spend all that money on crap that didn't strengthen the US economic base. A poor helpless country (the US) was forced to do all of this because of a bunch of foreign countries with a high savings rate.
    This is on par with getting a credit card and then wasting all your money on hookers (a fancy one that accepts credit cards) instead of using it to buy books that'll help you to get through college. And then having the balls to blame it on the credit card company, because they made that credit available to you!

This is typical supply side bullshit. All the focus is on the supply side which you can't change that much, but virtually no attention is payed on the demand side (the side were you actually have influence).

It didn't take a genius to realize that spending money you didn't really have on things that in fact didn't contribute much to the economy wasn't the best strategy. And they still haven't realized the problem, like Greenspan when he realized there was a flaw in his thinking. He was taking about self regulating markets not working. That's not the biggest flaw in his thinking, the biggest flaw in his thinking is believing stagnating per capita wages and an increase in per capita consumption and profits made economic sense. That only makes sense if you believe in magic. Or if you hope to cash in and retire before the bubble bursts.

Fuck I could ramble on but it's already too long.

Ha! One of my housemates is reading that. It's a nice read, great flow.
    Awesome, yeah his previous books were an easy read too. With some humor here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post

I read catch 22 these holidays! It was funny its just hard getting into at the beginning cause it's too repetitive but it's pretty easy to finish reading.