Page 99 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

Currently reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, for college.

I was getting into it, and I was actually quite looking forward to finding out who the character had had an affair with...and then the lecturer gave it all away

Other than that, it's pretty okay, although I guess it's quite hard to relate to in this day and age, seen as it was very risque for the time.

I am reading the new book of one of my favorite authors among the still alive/not dead for more than a century category.

Generation A by Douglas Coupland.

I was scared when I got it. I thought it would be bad because JPod was mostly a modern edition of Micorserfs (still good but less good) so I was afraid this one would be a remake of Generation X.

Well it's not. There is a story.

So then I got scared because eventhough stories in Coupland's book are often great, what I like is that these stories are only a reason to describe small things, small thoughts of the characters. What I like in Douglas Coupland is how he sees the smallest things in the world, how his characters overthink everything, but not in a boring/necessary intellectual way.

I got scared because the first chapters of the book are pratically all about the story that I find a little bit... easy.

The story is this: In a near future, all the bees disappeared untill 5 people in different part of earth got stung.

Now I am reaching the second half and ... oh it's good. It is definitely not the best but still very very good.

For the ones who would like to try, I recommend you start with Microserfs, Generation X or my own favorite one, Girlfriend in a coma.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Anyone read And Another Thing... yet? Mostly Harmless had a pretty depressing ending and I need some closure. But if it's way off from Douglas Adam's style, I rather not read it.

I ended up picking up the first Diskworld book today because I didn't know where to start. So far it has been pretty disappointing. I have yet to laugh once. I'm just now reading around online that most people didn't like the first one though. Damn.

Reading On The Beach, by Nevil Shute. I really like a lot of books written during the Cold War era, it turns out - the social order, naturalized rights to rule and the consequences of global actions show up again and again in the literature I enjoy. It's good times.

Not that On The Beach deals with that in so many words, but the vibe underscores the story.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    I ended up picking up the first Diskworld book today because I didn't know where to start. So far it has been pretty disappointing. I have yet to laugh once. I'm just now reading around online that most people didn't like the first one though. Damn.
    I got the first one for my birthday when I was 13. I read the first 10 pages and it was boring.

But I didn't find Hitchhiker's guide that funny either.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Reading Song of Myself by Walt Whitman for college

Also, if anyone knows who influenced Poe's detective novels, that would be great

I know Vidocq, Dickens and some english crime/gothic stories, and his shitty life did...but i cant find much online

I read "Im full of hate and I love it".
    Last edited by zookie85; 11-23-2010 at 06:48 AM.

The Bible, it's hard to get through because of how repetitive it is and the print is so small it's actually about twice as long as I expected.

I'm reading Fear and Loathing too, found it on my computer. I'll be reading Catcher in the Rye soon, I've been meaning to for so long.
    I wrote a four word letter.

When you're in the thralls of research madness is always the weirdest time to read a book. It's crazy and you blast through books so fast looking for relevant information that eventually you reach a stage of informational drain where information leaps off the page, enters your head, is inserted into your paper, and then you forget it as soon as you move on.

Katherine Hayles - How We Became Posthuman
    Christine Hine - Virtual Ethnography
    Sherry Turkle - Life on the Screen
    Tim Guest - Second Lives: A Journey Through Virtual Worlds
    David E. Apter (ed.) - The Legitimization of Violence
    James Forest (ed.) - Influence Warfare
    Eva Mackey - The House of Difference
    Eitzen & Sage - The Sociology of North American Sport
    Karen O'Reilly - Ethnographic Methods
    Winona Giles and Jennifer Hyndman (eds.) - Sites of Violence
    Cindy D. Ness - Female Terrorism and Militancy

It's especially awesome since I'm writing three papers concurrently (though the books above are only for two of them) so the connections that come up occasionally make no sense whatsoever. I love it!
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Identical - Ellen Hopkins
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear
    Let's torch a random abortion clinic!
    I am SO against abortion. Let's kill everyone inside and prove my point.
    ^ I knew someone who actually thought like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681
    you can't trust wikipedia according to them offspring are on nitro records and noodles is in a band called rocket like a gift
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni
    they're in their 40s now for God's sake. What do you want from them, more songs about Killing the President and disrespecting authoritah? That'd be worse than if Green Day made another song about masturbation.