Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Sum 41 Thread

Am I the only one that has a problem with the fact that Sum 41 steal and rip off other bands? I don't understand how people have become so accepting of that fact. If Green Day had ripped off as many other bands as Sum 41, I'm sure this whole off topic section would be foaming at the mouth.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

Because not that many people care about Sum 41 as they do Green Day.

Also, rabid Offspring fanboys don't perceive any rivalry between Sum 41 and The Offspring, so it's left alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    Because not that many people care about Sum 41 as they do Green Day.

Also, rabid Offspring fanboys don't perceive any rivalry between Sum 41 and The Offspring, so it's left alone.
    You'd think that they would be more of a rival, though, because both are a type of pop-punk with some metal influence in them, ya know?
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?

Even with that though, I'd kind of hope that people wouldn't be so accepting of it. One of my biggest pet peeves in ab and is one that lacks the capability of being original, and here we have a band that's entire career is basically based on stolen songs.

Not every band is gonna be good, ya know?

Sum 41 were really an alright band for a while. This new album really sucks, though. I liked the original version of the song that became the single tons more than this one. And I have to say that although I enjoy Speak of the Devil, everything else on the album is absolute trash. I did indeed find myself thinking of Green Day and Blink-182 as I listened to it, and that made me sad. I've been on Sum 41's side for a while, because I enjoy listening to them and think that people stretch a bit far when they talk about them stealing songs, but this is just terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Maybe Deryck Whibley should ask Avril for help in targeting preteens.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Yeah, I definitely enjoy listening to Sum-41, but it's really hard to ignore how much they've taken from other bands and how much they've regressed over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Not every band is gonna be good, ya know?
    But...if they're not good, why are you listening? That's kind of my whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbal View Post
    Listen to the piano ending in "Pull the curtain"!

First one to find out what it's very much similar to!
    Sounds like We're all to blame. Which is a rip of BYOB by System of a Down. So technically, it's a rip of a rip.

Quote Originally Posted by DeAtHsTaR View Post
    they are possibly the least original band in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncingcoles View Post
    i think the new album is garbage. a desperate attempt to get people to like them again. they are like green days little brother band now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    Wow, The Scientist and Pieces sound so similar. Crazy. But most of Chuck sounded like they stole ideas from other bands. I still really liked that album.

I keep hearing from many Sum 41 fans that the new album sounds like American Idiot 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Most of All Killer No FIller seemed to be stolen from other bands, so I'm thinking it's a continuing trend of theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    I just wanted to pop in and say that one of their latest singles - whatever it's called - sounds so ridiculously like their old song "fat lip". That for a bit I honestly thought it was a self parody.

Musical regression was the best term to use, and I really do think they are trying to re-hatch an old formula that got them popular in the first place, it's just that the world at large doesn't really care anymore. Of which I approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    Oh, underclass hero was ripped off from an earlier b-side, I heard. Anyone else hear that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    Am I the only one that has a problem with the fact that Sum 41 steal and rip off other bands?
    Yes, Jakebert. Clearly none of these other posts made before you involved people having a problem with the fact that they rip off stuff and are unoriginal...

Even with that though, I'd kind of hope that people wouldn't be so accepting of it. One of my biggest pet peeves in ab and is one that lacks the capability of being original, and here we have a band that's entire career is basically based on stolen songs.
    Entire career? They've had I think 4 or 5 albums... two of said albums contain material that people think sounds like it could be stolen. That's quite a sweeping claim you make.

Sounds like We're all to blame. Which is a rip of BYOB by System of a Down. So technically, it's a rip of a rip.
    I like to split hairs. It's a rip of Chop Suey! by System of a Down... not BYOB.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk