Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Sum 41 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    I see a huge difference between Sum 41 and the Offspring or RHCP. They did it once or twice, seemingly by accident.
    I don't think either could be seemingly on accident...

It's not that band has to be incredibly original. I like the Alkaline Trio, Pedro the Lion, and other bands that aren't amazingly original. But they still write really good songs. The reason I have no respect for Sum 41 is that they seem to lack the ability to write good songs, so they steal. I don't see it as being inspired by, because usually being inspired by means that you take a general theme, idea, or sound and incorporate it into something that you're doing. Not flat out take the exact melody from the song.
    This is a gross exaggeration. I can't think of any of their songs where they stole an exact melody from another song. All the songs I can think of that were "ripped off" were not even close to exact copies. Can you please give me examples of these exact melodies they stole?

Also, sure, Sum 41 isn't exactly awesome at writing songs... but I think their original songs aren't terrible. They're just typical pop punk songs, but it's not like they take ideas because they can't write their own songs. In fact, on the album that had so much "theft", it was like 3 or 4 songs out of like 14 that had notions of stuff being stolen. So you're making sweeping claims again... 3 or 4 songs could easily be accidental, just as much as RHCP or Offspring. Ever try writing songs? I've written a few songs, and then realized months later that, no wonder that melody came so easy, it's from a song that's already been done. It's happened a good 2 or 3 times, and I've only written 12-15 songs total.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    This post confuses me. How was what he said ignorant and childish? Even if you disagree with him, his opinion is still a valid one that is completely understandable. It's not like he said "omgz sum 41 swim naked with gerbils cause dey are faggots" or something.

I think he has a valid point, too. While I don't know a whole lot about Sum 41, I can see exactly where he's coming from. They've regressed musicially, so that's a natural conclusion to make. Not that they ever made a huge jump in terms of experimenting or whatever, but still.
    thank you jakebert

Ripping off or not, I'm addicted to "Count Your Last Blessings".
    * !

even a reviewer in kerrang mentioned them "ripping off" (if you can call it that) green day and blink 182! i havent heard the new album but they have apparently put some ballads on and have an accoustic song in the hope of it being the next good riddance. they reviewer also mentioned that the song writing was very much lacking!

i think sum 41 have had their fair share of luck but i cant see it continuing on the level they are at. that kind of pop punk is just going to fade out from the mainstream now!
    whenever i learn something new it pushes some old knowledge out of my brain, remember that home wine making course when i forgot how to drive?!

There's an acoustic song at the very end of the album I quite liked. Even if it was ripped off, which I have no idea about.

The only song I really liked off the album was Speak of the Devil, and it doesn't do enough. It starts out nice and then, in predictable fashion, delves into a traditional blaring-guitar pop-punk track. If they'd get the vocal harmonies going the entire time, they might actually have had an interesting song.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

i highly doubt sum 41 try to copy other bands songs. if they did they would never have made it this far. sum 41 have never really done anything groundbreaking. they just use pop punk formulas that shit bands like green day and blink-182 have already done. basically just recycle old ideas. but they never straight up rip off bands and if they did they would not get away with it since there would be lawsuits

I just found another possible rip-off.

Listen to "Boxcar" by Jawbreaker, and "Motivation" by Sum 41.
    Quote Originally Posted by iapinheiro View Post
    Yes, it exists!

Mine ex-girlfriend, one day she had the first orgasm with me, and was of this form, I made it a wonderful blowjob in the clitoris and at the same time penetrating the finger in her pussy, for more than 30 minutes, the problem is that much delayed, I know that is true because it did not obtain to control itself and wet all bed!

Oh, I've known that one for a while. Also included: She's A Rebel by Green Day.

and the other day I heard a My Chemical Romance song that sounded exactly like The Jester. I don't know which song it was, but I'm sure it was from their new album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    Oh, I've known that one for a while. Also included: She's A Rebel by Green Day.
    Molly's Lips by The Vaselines/Nirvana has the riff too. But I mean, listen to Motivation while singing Boxcar. (The first 4 lines)
    Yes, it exists!

Mine ex-girlfriend, one day she had the first orgasm with me, and was of this form, I made it a wonderful blowjob in the clitoris and at the same time penetrating the finger in her pussy, for more than 30 minutes, the problem is that much delayed, I know that is true because it did not obtain to control itself and wet all bed!

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post

and the other day I heard a My Chemical Romance song that sounded exactly like The Jester. I don't know which song it was, but I'm sure it was from their new album.
    I hear it, but I'm not sure about what song...was it The Sharpest Lives?
    Yes, it exists!