Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subjectivity Knows No Intelligence Boundary

Arrow Subjectivity Knows No Intelligence Boundary

I have yet to ever hear this idea discussed, so bow before me for starting it. (If you can google someone that came up with this same argument, then they must've obviously copied off me). Now, each Supreme Court Justice has an outstanding career, a career of which us mortals can only dream. Presidents hold no less stellar histories. They have each graduated first in their class from Harvard, Princeton, Yale or occasionally Standford (I'm sure that must be a source of much ridicule behind the bench). They are smarter than damn near anyone on here...

...and yet, they're equally partisan. Just look at their references, just look at their rulings. Holy SHIT, Scalia can't admit THAT about the right to privacy in regard to a court-ordered search? Kennedy doesn't know jack about the powers of the police! These are some of the smartest, most studied students of law in the U.S., and yet they often viciously compete on certain basic issues. Does this mean that the entire branch is inadequate to defend their job? Does partisanship extend beyond every single boundary one can think of? Does education, or intelligence, matter in terms of where your values lie? Should we rethink the Court?

Discuss.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

They're not neccesarily that smart. Ever consider that they had such astounding carreers because most of them came from wealthy, connected families? My ass Bush belonged in Yale. And Kennedy was just an illiterate ignorant millionare, and if he wasn't born a Kennedy, he probably wouldn't even be able to hold down a part time job.Being born into privedge doesn't make you outstanding.

Intelligence is a many varied and vast field. One can be well educated, well read, with the top grades and still lack the smarts we hold as common. To be brilliant in one area is to miss out in another. Dr. Watson once asked how come Sherlock Holmes couldn't name two planets off the solar system--the latter replied : "what is it to me? I only know what I need to know. A human brain is like an attic with a limited storage--so store only that you need to retain in your life". Or something like that. Don't remember the exact quote. While this doesn't help with your question, i'm only trying to say that people only remember/know selected stuff. No one human is universal. Not even top grads.

This is also precisely the reason I reject the concept of IQ test for I believe no single test can accurately measure your intelligence.

Extremely booksmart people often miss out on basic skills and get caught up in details.

Quote Originally Posted by SicN Twisted
    They're not neccesarily that smart. Ever consider that they had such astounding carreers because most of them came from wealthy, connected families? My ass Bush belonged in Yale. And Kennedy was just an illiterate ignorant millionare, and if he wasn't born a Kennedy, he probably wouldn't even be able to hold down a part time job.Being born into privedge doesn't make you outstanding.
    Well, I do believe that most Supreme Court justices graduated from the top of their class at Harvard or Yale law school, though I apparently didn't make that clear in my original post. We're not talking about just legacies that got a free ride, but those that stuck to it at elite institutions to the point of blowing their fellow braniacs out of the water.

Pope - as another example, Einstein famously couldn't do basic arithmetic or remember his own address... though that may've been partly due Alsheimer's, who knows.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Heard the story of a german guy who can calculate a 10 digit power of something in less than 13 seconds? The dude still lives in his mother's basement.

Law lords/justices/whatever are mostly stupid cunts who don't realise what they are actually doing. They believe the law is always there to be found. They rule with their gut and seek the law to say it was there all along.

Contrary to popular belief it isn't exactly that hard to be a lawyer. BELIEVE ME. It's 90% hardwork 10% smarts. The work I do now I find easier than GCSE (15year old) maths or physics. I hardly know any smart people on my course, most of them are just like robots. They just sit there learning facts, learning cases, learning as much as they can but not thinking. I blaim this on most of htem being females and girls are useless at taking an interest in their subject on the whole.

Perfect example is one area that does require smarts, jurisprudence, well all teh geeks who do well in all other aspects of law (by well I mean firsts) do shit in this. They whine and whine about it. But I excel in this because im a lazy cunt but have a brain.

So I don't really know how the courses run in the states. But if it's anything like here, well, it's all about a memory test. Hardly any intelligence is required. The hardest thing has gotta be to get into the ivy league schools, not the actual courses when you get there. Its all about work ethic.

I really respsect Oliver Wendel Holmes though, the guy knew what he was talking about, was honest and frank about what he was actually doing. We need more people like him in courts around the world.
    Vera Says:
    Masturbation > women

Exclamation

Mota_Boy: Albert Einstein were not any more intelligent than the rest of us, though he did have a syndrome from birth wich about every 100th person has got today, more or less of it, called ADD/Aspbergers wich rearranges the intelligence in the brain to different parts.
    It rearranges it in the way that it adds up more of it in some places of the brain, usually more advanced parts such as math skills, thinking logically and the interests in very complex and special things, while it lessens the abillities in the more usual things such as social skills.

Newton was the greatest scientist of all time.

Hume and RXP was (are) the greatest thinker.

End of discussion.
    Vera Says:
    Masturbation > women

Doing well at an institution doesn't make you smart. Ivy league schools are like fancy country clubs, they don't require any intelligence, just that you grew up a certain way. I wouldn't go as far to believe that the top student at Harvard law is any smarter then the average bumb on the street. Education simply measures stature, not brains.