Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oingo Boingo

Quote Originally Posted by nieh View Post
    Warren Fitzgerald from the Vandals was actually their guitarist at that point.
    Almost but not quite--Warren was added to the lineup as an additional guitarist. Steve Bartek was still the main guitarist. The most awesome part of "No Spill Blood" from the video I posted was that Danny Elfman beats the shit out of him in the middle of the song, and Warren has to jump offstage to escape.

Coneman--I'm glad you dug the videos. Not that I don't love all of those things enough for the both of us, but it's always nice to share. I actually thought "Insanity" was a million times less 80's than anything else they've ever done. My one complaint about Boingo is that the sound is intensely dated--Nieh is right, the production is all astoundingly 80's, and if y'all want to see some ridiiiiculous 80's dancing, YouTube the video for "Gratitude" and "Fool's Paradise." "Insanity" is still pretty dated though--one of the climactic lines is "The white folks think they're at the top, ask any proud white male/A million years of evolution, we get Danny Quayle." Does anyone even remember Quayle anymore? Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few people who remembers the Bush/Quayle years on this board, and even then, I barely remember that shit.

Also, what you said about maybe you'll like their live stuff better than the studio stuff--that was the most common complaint about them, that their albums simply could not capture the energy and awesomeness of them live. They were SUPERSTARS in California, and relatively unknown outside their home state, and many people thing it's because of the album/live show thing. So, that's not unusual you'd feel like that.

I hear you on "We Close our Eyes" not being what you'd expect them to sound like--this song is quintessential Boingo, "Dead Man's Party": http://youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelg

And because I can't resist cheesy 80's shit, "Gratitude": http://youtube.com/watch?v=2LkjLjQzsZU
    Last edited by Little_Miss_1565; 09-13-2007 at 06:09 AM.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

I just wanted to say that there are Boingo songs I like less than others, but those songs seem to still have AMAAAAAZING choruses.

You guys, I haven't been in love like this with anything in recent memory. Not even boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Not even boys.
    what about men?

*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Endymion View Post
    what about men?

*cough*
    You're too young.

You guys, Danny Elfman is the sunshine of my life.

Wait, is this the same Danny Elfman who composed the Simpsons theme?

Hey, would you mind putting some Oingo Boingo up in the music sharing thread? My friend sent me a song and now I'm intrigued.
    Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    Wow, I did not expect that to be an actual website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gepetto View Post
    Wait, is this the same Danny Elfman who composed the Simpsons theme?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by All About Eve View Post
    Hey, would you mind putting some Oingo Boingo up in the music sharing thread? My friend sent me a song and now I'm intrigued.
    I would be more than happy to but all the stuff I have is bought from the iTunes store. WAIT I have live stuff that I ripped...let me see if it's still on my hard drive.

EDIT: Dangit, it's on my external HD and I can't hook that up right now.
    Last edited by Little_Miss_1565; 11-11-2007 at 07:55 PM.

I'm excited to listen to these guys now too!

I'll try to rip Boingo Alive later tonight, but my mom's here so it might have to wait until tomorrow.