Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever begged for a grade before?

Hybrid View

Default Ever begged for a grade before?

I'm going to e-mail my professor and I need help sounding as professional as possible/kissing ass. I got a 65.3 in my college math course, and I really needed a 70.

-The teacher claimed that he helps out people who are on the line if they show up to every class, which I did (class participation grade)
    -I got a got a C on the comprehensive final
    -I'm transferring to a four year next fall as a history major

Any advice?

Here is some advice: Study more and then you wouldn't be in this mess.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

Quote Originally Posted by IamSam View Post
    Here is some advice: Study more and then you wouldn't be in this mess.
    I studied a hell of a lot. That's the last thing I want to see. Math is really hard for a lot of people because each problem involves at least like 10 specific rules, an even then you can mess up with number calculations.

What math was it? Calculus?

Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic View Post
    What math was it? Calculus?
    No, it was Math 102, alright? I suck.

uhhh... probably the best thing you can do is email him saying how concerned you are, and that you were wondering whether he would allow you to do an extra credit/research project to help you with your grade. =/

When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    each problem involves at least like 10 specific rules
    i'd like to call bullshit on this. all the math you'll ever know is built up from six rules. there's nothing specific about them. just because you can't understand math and resort to memorizing how to solve problems doesn't mean it's required.

Lightbulb

You could do what my friend in ROTC did and tell your prof that a failing grade would result in you getting shipped to Iraq to die.

You're going to have trouble convincing the professor if you haven't been to see him at all thus so far in the semester, and if it's after the last exam, I have no idea how you feel you could get any sympathy. However, the best thing to do would just be to lay it out and say something like "I haven't had an easy time with the material and the first exam really caught me off guard, but I've been working hard all semester and I really want to get at least a C-. What do I need to do to help out my average?"
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Quote Originally Posted by Mota Boy View Post
    You're going to have trouble convincing the professor if you haven't been to see him at all thus so far in the semester, and if it's after the last exam, I have no idea how you feel you could get any sympathy. However, the best thing to do would just be to lay it out and say something like "I haven't had an easy time with the material and the first exam really caught me off guard, but I've been working hard all semester and I really want to get at least a C-. What do I need to do to help out my average?"
    "Caught me off guard" only works in press statements. He'll ask to elaborate... did you not not know the dates of the first test, did you not know what material was covered, did you not expect it to be this hard? Or why couldn't you make enough time to study the material, why didn't you approach the professor with any questions? He'll dismiss you as lazy and inattentive if you don't have a good reason why this material hasn't come easy to you. I repeat, the fact that you're a slower learner than other kids may warrant pity but NOT a higher grade. If you cannot understand math, you do not belong in programs or schools where math is required. Go study English or history in some community college or wherever Americans with no prospects go.

Your only chance is to convince him--and I'm not saying this is easy--that you are actually a good student, but you weren't able to demonstrate it to your fullest capacity due to such and such reasons (and the reasons have to be good).
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

Extra credit? That's basically the only thing you can do. Unless you have more exams and shit coming up that you can really study hard for to boost the grade up.