Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Ever begged for a grade before?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,380


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Let someone else calculate your average. Maybe this email isn't necessary.
    Well the grade is only based on 3 tests, and then he can factor in class participation/attendance, so I think this is an exception. And besides, I'm asking for help, this a little more than "calculation".

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,380


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rag Doll View Post
    Get rid of the end of it "consider giving me....". That sounds like you want them to fudge things.

    Like Sunny said, tell them you are concerned and ask if there is anything you can do to boost up your grade to the 70.

    btw, Rowan University? Are you from Jersey...?
    Yeah, i'm from Jersey. I guess I could ask if there is something else I could do, but I've never really heard of that happening before, especially when the semester is already over. I'm not sure if I wanna do that, but maybe I will...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    373


    Default

    Extra credit? That's basically the only thing you can do. Unless you have more exams and shit coming up that you can really study hard for to boost the grade up.

  4. #14


    Default

    If you're looking for his pity, you're going to have to present a much stronger case.

    First, you have to convince him that you deserve that grade. As an instructor, he wants to evaluate his students fairly. You have to convince him that this hasn't been the case for you. One argument you can make is that you could've, should've, would've done better on the exam had it not been for some unforeseen, fucked up and mostly unfair circumstances that happened out of the blue the week before the exam. For example, an emofag of a friend of yours has attempted suicided and you spent the week the week trying to console him. Basically, you're a better student than the grade reflects, but a situation has handicapped you and prevented you from showing this.
    Ask him for a second chance. Ask for additional an assignment, or the possibility to re-take the exam.

    Second, convince him that you do need this grade. Don't start crying, but convince him that it's really important to you. You're not merely saying what you're saying because you want, but rather you absolutely need it. You have so much at stake at that grade, your parents count on you so much etc... Whatever your story is, it's going to have to be good and very special. Be emotional.

    Third, don't do it over email, idiot. Any schmuck can compose an email to all of his professors and see who bites. That's too easy. Seek him out in person (call the school and find out his hours) and then present your case. You can act desperate, but not pushy! Be cohesive and respectful, don't forget that he doesn't owe you shit.

    So make a good story, practice it and stick to it. And save your participation argument (your most solid one) for last.
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,380


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HornyPope View Post
    If you're looking for his pity, you're going to have to present a much stronger case.

    First, you have to convince him that you deserve that grade. As an instructor, he wants to evaluate his students fairly. You have to convince him that this hasn't been the case for you. One argument you can make is that you could've, should've, would've done better on the exam had it not been for some unforeseen, fucked up and mostly unfair circumstances that happened out of the blue the week before the exam. For example, an emofag of a friend of yours has attempted suicided and you spent the week the week trying to console him. Basically, you're a better student than the grade reflects, but a situation has handicapped you and prevented you from showing this.
    Ask him for a second chance. Ask for additional an assignment, or the possibility to re-take the exam.

    Second, convince him that you do need this grade. Don't start crying, but convince him that it's really important to you. You're not merely saying what you're saying because you want, but rather you absolutely need it. You have so much at stake at that grade, your parents count on you so much etc... Whatever your story is, it's going to have to be good and very special. Be emotional.

    Third, don't do it over email, idiot. Any schmuck can compose an email to all of his professors and see who bites. That's too easy. Seek him out in person (call the school and find out his hours) and then present your case. You can act desperate, but not pushy! Be cohesive and respectful, don't forget that he doesn't owe you shit.

    So make a good story, practice it and stick to it. And save your participation argument (your most solid one) for last.
    Thanks. This is good advice. And thanks to everyone else who tried to help.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,380


    Default

    I'm having a little trouble deciding about what to lie about when it comes to the whole unforeseen, fucked up, unfair circumstance thing. I'm thinking something like "I was dealing with the end of a two year relationship during the last two weeks of class". How's that sound?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,173


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I'm having a little trouble deciding about what to lie about when it comes to the whole unforeseen, fucked up, unfair circumstance thing. I'm thinking something like "I was dealing with the end of a two year relationship during the last two weeks of class". How's that sound?
    You don't wanna make up excuses. Just say that you tried your best, you worked really hard, and that you went the extra mile just to succeed in the class.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,380


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Joke View Post
    You don't wanna make up excuses. Just say that you tried your best, you worked really hard, and that you went the extra mile just to succeed in the class.
    Well, I think as long as it's believable and something he can probably relate to, he'll think of how he felt when he went through it. And I'm sure he'll remember that he wasn't at his best when that happened.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,380


    Default

    I'm thinking about saying I had a tutor too. I think that might help...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,437


    Default

    I think you're going to make an ass of yourself. Your first plan, not counting the email, was much better.

    You're just going to sound like a snivelling loser who can't deal with two things at once.

    Just being open and honest with him will give you a much better chance.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •