View Poll Results: Was it a good idea to remove the SR-71 from service?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 22.22%
  • No

7 77.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sr-71

Default Sr-71

The SR-71 Blackbird kicked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Unsanctioned
    The SR-71 Blackbird kicked ass.
    wat is the sr71??

Quote Originally Posted by slayer/metallicafan661
    wat is the sr71??
    The SR-71 Blackbird is a stealth spyplane. It has massive engines that can speed it up to around mach 3. And because it moved so fast, even if you could see it on radar, it would be gone as soon as you saw it. The damn plane flew so fast that it heated up to about 800 degrees farenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by Unsanctioned
    The SR-71 Blackbird is a stealth spyplane. It has massive engines that can speed it up to around mach 3. And because it moved so fast, even if you could see it on radar, it would be gone as soon as you saw it. The damn plane flew so fast that it heated up to about 800 degrees farenheit.
    YEAH THATS KOOL

I would say it's a good idea. but only because the US military should be smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Think about it, there never was a report of an SR-71 being shot down, was there? Detected? yes.
    But with satellites, theres no real need for spyplanes.

Yeah, and the U2 Dragon Lady didnt have a spotless record, though.
    And with only one row (whatever) of landing gear made it difficult to land.
    But the sr71 got so hot in flight that the people would have to wait a while to get out of the plane.

The u2 was ok. but the Sr-71 was still better.

One thing is coolness other thig is what is pratical and economic and what is not.. I can only imagine the cost of maintenec such a plane must have. Sr-71 was a major advantej for usa in cold war times. it could fly faster than any fighter so it was virtualy indestructible.. but then came missile threat and a plane that fly at such speeds must be hard to evade from missiles, at mach 3 you wont have much manuvering habilities.. and now there are satelites, that can do sr-71's job... Cause sr-71 is just a reconesance craft...

Quote Originally Posted by zemanel
    One thing is coolness other thig is what is pratical and economic and what is not.. I can only imagine the cost of maintenec such a plane must have. Sr-71 was a major advantej for usa in cold war times. it could fly faster than any fighter so it was virtualy indestructible.. but then came missile threat and a plane that fly at such speeds must be hard to evade from missiles, at mach 3 you wont have much manuvering habilities.. and now there are satelites, that can do sr-71's job... Cause sr-71 is just a reconesance craft...
    Spell check is a good idea. And the sr-71 pilots wouldnt have to worry about missiles much, because by the time they picked it up on radar, it had already moved out of range.