Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated brews?

I say fuck beer and smoke a blunt.

Awesome! After my cross-country U.S.A. road trip I feel like I can truly take part in this thread. Cause I totally drank all of those beers that you guys mentioned. My insight into American culture has grown immensely.

You know how Canadians always go on and on about how American beer is shitty and tastes like water, blah blah? Or maybe you have to be Canadian to know this... anyway, they say that all the time.

My conclusion is that beer in America is not necessarily shitty, it's just that Americans drink a lot of shitty beer - by choice I guess. I drank a number of decent to good brews while in the U.S., and I'm certain there were tons more I didn't get around to trying, but the standard beers that Americans drink a ton of were indeed much worse than the generic Canadian beers that Canadians drink a ton of (Molson Canadian, Labatt's Blue, etc.). Also, at least on the West Coast, people drink a lot more microbrew beer, and not so much the generic stuff anyway.

In Vegas I drank one of those jumbo cans of Heineken. They sell that here too; I just never drink it. I didn't particularly love it, but I think that's cause I was really full from dinner and was just trying to down it quickly on the street. So that's never a good combo with a gigantic can of carbonated beer. I think I'd have to drink it more often for the bitterness to grow on me.

I also had Killian's Red. It was pretty good, and it seemed like one of the best options available when at a bar that doesn't have much selection.

I ordered Blue Moon (wheat ale?) at a restaurant in Nashville. I had to do it since you guys are always going ON AND ON AND ON about it and I remember liking it but not loving it in NYC. And it was good. Still didn't knock my socks off, but I would drink it surely when I was in the mood for a light beer. I put the orange slice right in it and that gave it some pretty intense orangey flavour, so I'm not sure if that was a good idea.

Also had Sam Adams (Seasonal?) and Yazoo (something darker - forget which one) in Nashville. This waitress we had recommended the Sam Adams and it was good. It's funny cause you could hear her recommending the same beer to every single table around us. I really enjoyed the Yazoo that I had though cause I've gotten quite into dark beer.

We went to a bunch of Nashville bars with limited beer selection and decided to try some true shitty American beer. It's funny, my friend asked the bartender to recommend something and he's like "I can recommend Bud." Oh really!? Bud eh? Never woulda crossed my mind to order that one. Anyway, had Yuengling and it was alright. Had Pabst Blue Ribbon and it was pretty awful. Actually, I didn't mind it THAT much cause I'm an alcoholic and can drink anything, but my friends could barely finish it.

Drank a lot of Bud (not Bud Light, which Americans also seem to drink a ton of). I still like Bud.

Oh yeah, I also had to try Miller Chill after seeing it on a commercial and thinking that it was right up my alley. And I really liked it! My friends didn't though.

This post makes me sound like an alcoholic, and it's funny cause I actually didn't even drink that much on the trip, and when I did drink more heavily a few of the nights, it wasn't even beer; it was wine, whiskey (J.D.!), and rum.

I'll admit, I'm 14, and I'm one of the few who do drink beer (only with parental permission) and i drink: cascade premium light, and VB middies, both low alcohol and not that bad, but only in Australia folks

Stella Artois. 'nuff said
    Last edited by Superdope; 05-20-2008 at 02:48 AM.
    Don´t take life too seriously... you’ll never escape it alive anyway

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyNemesis View Post

I think as far as super cheap beer goes, Yuengling is the best.
    in that category, I would mention Schultenbräu.

1565, regular Amstel exists.
    I like the price tag on Amstel. here it's way cheaper than Heineken. Dommelsch & Grolsch are also fine options. when going for strange brands of beer, I always try whatever the hell is adviced to me. mostly I end up with a foreign kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Bryan_420 View Post
    TOUGH SHIT! YOU WANT TO BELIEVE,BUT CAN'T PROVE I'M A HOMO! BEIN' PURE DOESN'T PROVE I'M HOMOSEXUAL ASSHOLE!

i actually don't think you can get any kind of Amstel but Amstel Light in the states, at least in the New York metro area. i've worked with liquor 4 years now and have never seen it. Pretty interesting it does exist though.

i guess it's all about the dream

8. Default

Holy shit, didn't know dutch beer was so fcking popular. I'm from holland and I like belgian (like trappist and primus) and irish (like guiness) beer better than dutch. Dutch is too light, way too light. Who knows La Chouffe?

Belgian white beers are delicious. <3 I dunno any names, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    Belgian white beers are delicious. <3 I dunno any names, though.
    Wieckse Witte?? or Hoegaarden?

Dutch dude who likes relatively somewhat stronger beers; I was into stronger beers aswell, before I was a student. obviously when you make long nights, drinking from 7 to 4, you don't drink Westmalle Triple all night. I swear, that would kill you. Westmalle Triple once only needed one afternoon, when I skipped breakfast, to kill me.

by the way, Guiness?? seriously??!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Bryan_420 View Post
    TOUGH SHIT! YOU WANT TO BELIEVE,BUT CAN'T PROVE I'M A HOMO! BEIN' PURE DOESN'T PROVE I'M HOMOSEXUAL ASSHOLE!