Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux?

Default Linux?

Some of you may know that I am having computer problems. I've tried everything anyone has suggested to me, and nothing is working. If it was something insignificant, I'd just deal with it or ignore it. But not having Google and e-mail is a pretty big problem for me, and more problems seem to be coming up each day.

The only thing I haven't tried is wiping my hard drive entirely and reformatting. The problem is, I don't have my original Windows XP disk and there is absolutely no way in hell I am actually going to waste money to buy one, and I don't want to deal with whatever problems I get from pirating one. A suggestion I got is to try Linux.

From everything I've read so far this is far better than Windows anyway. I know some of you have experience or knowledge with Linux (and everything else ever), so I need suggestions/help. This would be my first time using anything not Windows.
    Where do I start? What do I do? Which one do I get? and where do I get it?

don't use linux unless you are super smart at computers/programming.

sounds like you most likely have a virus. a really bad one. one simple mistake is that when you delete a file, it doesn't erase itself from your hard drive until it's been written over, unless you use what's called a file shredder, these are easily found on the internet, however, be careful as these websites can also contain more viruses.
    Last edited by RickyCrack; 05-22-2008 at 05:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthz View Post
    Good thread.

Last time I caught viruses/spyware a few years back, I gave up trying to clean it so I just reinstalled windows. Preventing a virus is pretty easy if you're smart, but I don't think I ever successfully cleaned my computer using anti-virus software once it got infected badly.

The distribution with the most "user friendly" rep right now is Ubuntu linux. Download the iso here and then burn it on to a cd using the iso option for whatever burning program you have. The cd has a "live" option so you don't have to install it onto your hard drive just yet. It runs directly from the cd so you can try it out without committing yourself to it. This is also a good chance to do whatever you need to do that you can't do on windows right now. All you gota do it boot from the cd, not the hard drive.

Once you're ready to install it, boot from the cd again and just follow the instructions. The process is pretty user friendly. There's a few installation guides you can find using google if you're worried about messing up.

You could also try OSX, but that would require buying a new computer... I switched from Windows to Mac about 3 years ago, and I've never had any problems really. Nothing more than you can't get some software or run a few minor programs on OSX. OSX is really user friendly, and it doesn't take much adjustment to go from Windows to Mac. And OSX is built on Linux, so it's solid as hell. Just another suggestion.
    Math is more than formulas or equations; it's logic, it's rationality, it's using your mind to solve the biggest mysteries we know.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTerror View Post
    The problem is, I don't have my original Windows XP disk and there is absolutely no way in hell I am actually going to waste money to buy one
    You are right that would be a waste, Be a Man and get with times, Vista will solve all your issues and make you better person and more fun to be around.

Too bad Vista is fucking worthless.
    Math is more than formulas or equations; it's logic, it's rationality, it's using your mind to solve the biggest mysteries we know.

I honestly haven't heard anything positive about Vista at all. I'm not even considering that.
    If I had the money, I'd just buy a new computer. But I don't, so I can't.
    Jebus, I was linked to that earlier and I really think I want to try that one. I just thought I'd get more opinions and research before I actually do it.

The only issue I have with Vista is that you sometimes need to delete filters just to play a CD or a DVD. You always have to restart your computer if you've used it for a while.

Other than that, it's fine. I really don't understand why so many people dislike it.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

I have a few problems with Vista, mainly hardware compatibility issues. Actually software, too. I wanted XP with my new computer, but that actually cost more than Vista. Boy, do I regret not spending that extra few bucks.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Nothing's wrong with a pirated XP version. Make sure you download it already with a SP2 installed, and then all you have to do is avoid installing the "Genuine windows identifier" crap or whatever when you download updates. Other updates work just fine as does the operating system.

As far as the virus goes, I guess all there is left is to format drive. Backup everything you need (that's not a problem, right?) and then insert a windows CD, format existing partitions and install the operating system again.
    Last edited by HornyPope; 05-22-2008 at 09:34 PM.
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine