Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cliche opinion that I can't stand

Hybrid View

Default Cliche opinion that I can't stand

Aside from their first record, which has more of an 80's punk sound, all the other Offspring albums can pretty accurately be described as Skate Punk albums. Now unless those 30 second previews were extremely misleading, which I doubt, this will be the first Offspring album in a while that can't even be considered a Skate Punk album. It's not completely absent from the entire album, but it's certainly taking a back seat to other sounds like never before.

My problem is that I don't see what the hell is wrong with the fact that I'm a little disappointed with this. I'm not disappointed in the guys in the band, nor am I demanding that they make the record that I had in mind. I'm simply stating that personally, I'd prefer it if they stuck with the sound that made them famous, at least for the most part. What the fuck does that have to do with being "tru punx" or being closed-minded? It really bothers me when people say that...I don't think it makes any sense, and I don't think those people know what they're talking about.
    Last edited by bighead384; 06-06-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Camilamazed Guest

Again?

I bet if they kept the same music style people would complain that they don't have imagination to try some different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Camilamazed View Post
    Again?

I bet if they kept the same music style people would complain that they don't have imagination to try some different things.
    You think The Offspring are in danger of being considered a band that doesn't try new things?

Camilamazed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    You think The Offspring are in danger of being considered a band that doesn't try new things?
    No, I don't. I'm trying to say that fans are never happy. Bands will never please their fans 100%. I mean, except U2 fans.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Yes.

But apart from that, they should just make the kind of music they want to. Dexter is like the most ADD person ever- one day he's trying to get a Ph. D., one day he's flying a plane around the world, one day he's learning how to surf, one day he's running a record company, one day he's running a marathon, and one day he's making his own hot sauce. It's actually puzzled me how a guy like that could be content making music for as long as he has, that really, compared to most other bands who have been around for the same amount of time, hasn't changed much. I'm sure a lot of it has been for the fans and for their career. Now he's doing what he wants, doing what he feels like, and that's the punxest thing of all.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Yes.

But apart from that, they should just make the kind of music they want to. Dexter is like the most ADD person ever- one day he's trying to get a Ph. D., one day he's flying a plane around the world, one day he's learning how to surf, one day he's running a record company, one day he's running a marathon, and one day he's making his own hot sauce. It's actually puzzled me how a guy like that could be content making music for as long as he has, that really, compared to most other bands who have been around for the same amount of time, hasn't changed much. I'm sure a lot of it has been for the fans and for their career. Now he's doing what he wants, doing what he feels like, and that's the punxest thing of all.
    Dexter has always done what he wanted though; I'm sure he stays true to himself and he definately stays true to the fans and his music. Half of those things you've mentioned are hobbies of his, not to mention those specific events have happened during the course of a few years apart from each other. Doesn't make him ADD for living his life and trying things he might enjoy. But I see what you're getting at.

To me, the new album seems like a mix of old stuff and new stuff. I'd love to see them doing more stuff like Ignition, Ixnay or S/T, but I accept the fact that Dexter tries to change a bit with every album and does something new. Dexter does whatever he wants and I'm ok with that. I also do whatever I want/like and if the day shall come that I don't like Dexter's music anymore, then so be it. I'd just have to search something new then. Cause I'm sure complaining wouldn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Quote Originally Posted by Camilamazed View Post
    Again?

you got my words

Quote Originally Posted by Free? View Post
    Offspring playing for Free? That would be awesome!
    The Portuguese Chapter:
    Site/Forum/Wiki: www.offspringportugal.com

I would have to say that this album definately sounds like they are returning to their roots, while throwing in some new surprises. Sounds like they looked
    back on their previous albums, and reviewed what really clicked with the fans.
    So they came out and made another kick ass album

The majority of their songs (judging from the 30 second clips) have the traditional Offspring sound. Half-Truism, Trust In You, You're Gonna Go Far Kid (sounds like something that (could have been on Americana), Hammerhead, Takes Me Nowhere sounds like it could have been on Splinter, with a hint of Ignition. Reminds me of Kick Him When He's Down). Nothingtown has a hint of Ixnay. Just to name a few I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mat.kc. View Post
    The majority of their songs (judging from the 30 second clips) have the traditional Offspring sound. Half-Truism, Trust In You, You're Gonna Go Far Kid (sounds like something that (could have been on Americana), Hammerhead, Takes Me Nowhere sounds like it could have been on Splinter, with a hint of Ignition. Reminds me of Kick Him When He's Down). Nothingtown has a hint of Ixnay. Just to name a few I guess.
    I know there are a few exceptions, but this time, the overwhelming majority of the songs sound like mid-tempo rock songs. Also, I really don't agree with most of your comparisons at all.
    Last edited by bighead384; 06-06-2008 at 03:13 PM.