Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [REVIEWS INDEX] "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace"

I can honestly say that in my opinion, every song is 10/10, except Rise and Fall, which is a 9.9/10. Because the one part, where it says where it says told you so twice, it just seems awkward. (That and the fact the it sounds sorta like American Idiot, but like 100 times better.) But anywho, the album is fucking amazing. Especially A Lot Like Me. I can't understand how people don't like it, its sooo incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    But, on a more personal note, if your username is a reference to what I think it is, you have an excellent username.
    And what do you think it is? The fact you said that suggests you're spot on!

Cheers.

Wow.

A person who goes and compares something like that with other things that are popular, are not suppose to be the one writing the review.

Almost half of the songs on the CD he has compared towards another band. "Oh, it sounds like this. And this and this and this."

Get over yourself, listen to the song and stop trying to bash it just because there's a chord stroke that's in another song.

Oh my lord! Rise and Fall has the same Drum beat as American Idiot! IT MUST BE HOAX!

*Sigh* Ignorance and Arrogance should be left out of a review.

Default 1 Liner

Kinda short, but hey...

http://thealbumproject.net/2008/06/1...age-and-grace/

If you're too lazy to click:

"Well it seems The Offspring were successful on their time machine because they really have reverted to their roots and former style. Time to get excited if you enjoyed, ‘Smash’, ‘Ixnay on the Hombre’, or even parts of ‘Americana’."

Quote Originally Posted by thrice170487 View Post
    Kinda short, but hey...

http://thealbumproject.net/2008/06/1...age-and-grace/

If you're too lazy to click:

"Well it seems The Offspring were successful on their time machine because they really have reverted to their roots and former style. Time to get excited if you enjoyed, ‘Smash’, ‘Ixnay on the Hombre’, or even parts of ‘Americana’."
    a short one, but it says it all (mostly - what misses is a comment on the "slower" songs which you can´t find on smash, ixnay and americana)

Quote Originally Posted by thrice170487 View Post
    Time to get excited if you enjoyed, ‘Smash’, ‘Ixnay on the Hombre’, or even parts of ‘Americana’."
    Who did not enjoy those?

If they want to sell a lot of these records 'a lot like me' should be their next single.

I can't believe that first review called "Stuff is Messed Up" a throwaway track. The lyrics are really strong in that song and it's a fun one to listen to.

lol ripped from another forum.

I got a promo yesterday. It's absolute rubbish.

Track 1 is Helena by MCR.
    Track 2 is Smash but with an AFI Chours.
    Track 3 is Panic at the Disco.
    Track 4 saves it from being a complete farce.
    Track 5 is 30 Seconds to Mars.

The rest is actual Green Day. The last track is the most shameless rip off of American Idiot I've ever heard. It's the same riff. The same production. The same structure.

I used to love this band. First album I ever bought was Americana about 10 years ago. I can't hate this album, but it's poor. It's embarrassing. These guys are in their 40s, this is album number 8 and in some vein struggle for relevance they've reinvented their sound by way of ripping off every band that's been pop punk and been popular in the last 3 years. They shouldn't NEED to do this. They brought the very genre they are now seeking to emulate, into the public eye. I just don't understand it.

The production is crud too. It's so bland. Guitars merge into one. The bass has no definition and even Josh Freese playing is bland, which is a shame.

All of the up beat tracks have mainly the same melody in the chorus too.

URGH. Hideous.

It does get 1 point though for being the first Offspring album since Smash with no novelty single.
    What a fucking knob jockey

actually, I sort of agree with him - about the second half of the album anyway. I love the Offspring, one of my all time favourite bands and I had one of the biggest grins on my face listening to the first 6 or 7 tracks last night, but the second half of the album was embarrassing on the first listen (I do recognise that some songs may grow on repeat listens).

The first 6 were classic Offspring, heavy, in your face, anthemic - the last 6 were (I'm not happy to say) very VERY Green Day American Idiot in places. I'm in work at the moment so it's difficult to refer to exact songs, but I didn't really like any of the last 5 songs. I quite liked Kristy, although it was obviously aimed at the Green Day Time of Your Life market, as was Fix You. A couple of the other songs sounded almost borderline plagiaristic of American Idiot and not as good. I don't like Green Day all that much, I much prefer The Offspring and see no reason why they should compromise their sound and aggression to become jokey/soft. I'm glad there were no awful 'Why don't you get a job' or 'Pretty Fly' but the second half of the album was a major let down. Even Stuff is Messed Up was weak on the first listen, the only one that sounded ok was Rock Bottom. First half brilliant, second half (on first listen) not good.