Thread: One humble review...

Default One humble review...

Alright I figured I'd give this a shot, I don't know if this would belong on another thread, but the sticky looked like it was for links to reviews. Im gonna go song by song on this one, here goes:

Half Truism: The intro sounds like one of those music boxes until it explodes into something amazing, right off the bat you can tell that Dexter's voice is in the best form it's ever been, a fantastic way to kick off an album. 10/10

Trust In you: A classic Offspring sounding song, powerful lyrics, fast guitar, and so much energy put into this one. The bridge is something out of this world. Would fit right into "Smash" (the album I mean). 10/10

You're Gonna Go Far, Kid: Well assuming most of us have heard the live version, the studio version blows it out of the water. Good single material, and Is it just me or does it have a more upbeat sound than the two tracks before it, while maintaining the theme of seriousness that is already apparent in this album? The standard of excellence continues. 10/10

Hammerhead: Well what hasn't been said about Hammerhead? But I finally feel that here's a single that doesn't seem out of place when heard alongside the other songs on the album. 10/10

A Lot Like Me: I would have to say the best song on the album, Dexter's voice has completely changed for this one, and he pulls it off with flying colors. This song as a single would be wonderful (for me anyways) Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace's equivalent to Gone Away and Race Against Myself. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. On a side 10/10

Takes Me Nowhere: Now this is where I start eating humble pie, as the preview kind of put me off of this one, but the full version changed me thoughts on it. I get a kind of "Kick Him When He's down Vibe"? Great song, like the 5 before it. 10/10

Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?: Another song that the previews did not do justice to. This is deep stuff lyrically, and a very moving song. A welcome departure from the heavier sounding soungs before it. 9/10

Nothingtown: A solid listen, and would make for a decent single. This song gets extra points for the solo (especially the bass solo!). Has a bit of a pop-ish sound to it but that's not a bad thing at all . However, all of the above mentioned, I'm not feeling this one as much as I have some of the other songs on the album. 8/10

Stuff Is Messed Up: There's no better song to say "fuck authority" than this one. An awesome angry rant anthem, sounds like a cross between "Bad Habit" and "Holiday" by Green Day, with the former being the lyrical content, and the latter being the sound. Really good song to jam to, I can't wait to see this one live (if they play it live ). 10/10

Fix You: Now heres something a lot different from what we've heard. Similar to "Denial, Revisited". Good song, again here's one that wasn't done justice by the preview. Although I can't say I'll listen to this one everytime it comes on, I might end up skipping it eventually. 7/10

Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom: One song I just couldn't get into. I don't know what it is, but this one doesn't have the hook factor that most of the others on this album have had. I like the verse, but not so much the chorus, however I think this one may grow on me in the future. 6/10

Rise And Fall: Say what you will about the "American Idiot" comparisons, this is a solid close to a great album. It's good, and for the record it does sound a lot like "American Idiot" which isn't a bad thing (unless it becomes a single and gets overplayed as much as AI did). It's worth mentioning again, good closeout to the album. 8/10

In conclusion:

A mezmerising, captivating entry from the band we've come to know and love over the past number of years. If it were to be compared to the other albums, I would say it's Ixnay On The Hombre's sequel, with dashes of Smash, Ignition, and even Conspiracy of One thrown in to spice things up a bit. As I write this conclusion, Half-Truism is playing for the 10th time on loop on my laptop. They just couldn't seem to go wrong with this one, even the only song I didn't like all that much had its moments, and Dexter was not kidding when he said this is some of the best stuff they've ever done. It truly is, and was worth the wait 100%. Although it would be nice to see something new before 5 years from now (but that's looking too far ahead I think at the moment ). Lyrically, the band has matured, and Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace is a testament to their newfound seriousness that showed signs of emerging with "Splinter", but has come into full light on this latest addition to their discography. Musically, influences from other songs are ever present throughout the album, and it's truly wonderful to see how The Offspring's sound has evolved over time. Ive been following them since "Conspiracy Of One", since I was 12, and I've never been prouder to be a fan. They've vindicated my faith and patience completely with this new record, and they deserve every accolade it brings them. Thanks for something special guys!

Verdict:

10+10+10+10+10+10+9+8+10+7+6+8 = 108/120

= 90%

= A+

Thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by T_immortal View Post
    Thanks for reading
    No problem^^

Nice review,but i think Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom is better than 6.But everyone has his own opinion

Great review.

I agree with you that A Lot Like Me is the best song on the album, it is awesome...just awesome is the only word that can describe it.

Calculating the album's score as the average of each song's score isn't really fair... if it had only the first 3 tracks it would score higher :P

Nice review but...

...here's one humble sticky thread.
    http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32853

I kinda like "Let's hear it for rock bottom", its the complimentary ska song. But its a lot slower and kinda sadder than other ska songs they've done. Also "Fix you" is a decent slow song, I prefer it to Kristy tbh. The only song right now I can't really get into is Nothingtown, dunno why, just seems a little dull

Quote Originally Posted by HeadAroundU View Post
    Nice review but...

...here's one humble sticky thread.
    http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32853
    I mentioned that in the beginning of the review, cause that sticky asks for links I didn't know where I'd post a review itself, sorry

Lol, it's quite confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by offspringjon View Post
    I kinda like "Let's hear it for rock bottom", its the complimentary ska song. But its a lot slower and kinda sadder than other ska songs they've done. Also "Fix you" is a decent slow song, I prefer it to Kristy tbh. The only song right now I can't really get into is Nothingtown, dunno why, just seems a little dull
    fo real? i like nothingtown (dont really like the name though...) and fix you is my least favorite. Kristy being my favorite.