Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn, now the haters have arrived.

Well, it's okay to have a different opinion, but by calling them commercial sell-out they prove themselvs to be just a bunch of haters. I mean, The Offspring have been the most underground band ever, who has sold millions of CD-s all over the world untill this album

They could just write "I don't like this album" or something like that and not start a whole war against the album. I know that not everybody likes the album, i think that no album of any band had satisfied 100% of their fans yet. But you just can't start a war because you don't like it.

Peace

You gotta admit the 2nd half is a bit unstable. I've never heard them try to write a pop punk tune or an acoustic ballad like these. It loses some of the trademark offspring sound to me. Not terrible, but it's gonna pull in dead last in my Offspring collection.

Buffalo, NY, home of the worst government on Earth

Another thing that bugs me is when people hate an album because it doesn't sound like a certain one.

Weezer fans who cry each time something that not similar to Blue or Pinkerton is released...

Korn fans who whine each time something not similar to s/t or Follow the Leader is released...

Disturbed fans who whine because nothing new sounds like The Sickness.

RHCP fans who complain each time an album is released because it's not like their 80s and BSSM stuff...

It seems people simply want another "Smash" and "Ixnay". I rather hear something different. Even if it's a return to roots, there should be something fresh in it.

If this album is stadium rock, I like stadium rock. And if this album is sellout, I obviously like sellout. (Maybe "sellout" should be a genre of its own...)

My gripe is that it sounds like every Offspring album. You can argue a case for a couple of songs being somewhat different, but for me the overall sound is same old, same old.

Conspiracy of One was the last album I really enjoyed. Splinter and Rise & Fall just sound like a band clinging to a dated sound while running out of ideas. They were really the first band I ever liked, but since then i've grown up and listen to stuff like Mars Volta, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Jamiroquai, Pain of Salvation, Tool, etc. Artists that push boundaries and evolve in other words. The first thought I had after the first listen was "Plain old Offspring".

Lambast me if you will, it's just how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by maplejet View Post
    Over on the last.fm page for The Offspring, there are like 5 or 6 users in a row who were disappointed with the album, some calling it a commercial sell out, one claimed that the Offspring took a "Stadium Rock" approach which stunk. Many just wanted another Smash...

Why does this always happen to every single veteran band today who simply want the same thing again and again?
    WHY DONT YOU MAKE ANOTHER SMASH? DO YOU REALLY THINK ITS SO EASY?

It seems people simply want another "Smash" and "Ixnay". I rather hear something different. Even if it's a return to roots, there should be something fresh in it.
    I agree with you. And even if this album was Smash II or Ixnay II there would be still some complaining about it (i imagine everyone say that they cloned themselves and that they don't have enough imagination to create something new) and Smash or Ixnay (whichever would be more similar to the new album) would somehow lost it's uniqueness and we couldn't enjoy it as much as we do. So it's better that we have something new than something recycled if you ask me. But as said before by iGustavo, it matters what YOU think about the album, not what others think

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Indii View Post
    Maybe "sellout" should be a genre of its own...

Add it to The Offspring wikipedia page under the genres category...
    Last edited by Rooster; 06-11-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Sellout is the most annoying title in the world, ever.

Ok if a band that tries to be hardcore and openly declares their loyalty to punk swaps their genre completely and suddenly I could see why it would be annoying. Then again, people nowadays don't judge bands by their music anymore. Sellout is a word far, far too overused, and the very concept of it relies on you judging bands by their image and not by their music. That makes me unhappy.

Sorry to be erratic and serious, but I've had this chip on my shoulder for a while now.
    but not in a gay way

Weezer fans who cry each time something that not similar to Blue or Pinkerton is released...
    I'm sure I speak for most people when I say we don't care if it doesn't sound anything like either of those albums, so long as they come up with something else just as good. So far they've released album after album of mediocre generic fluff which hasn't been anywhere near that level.