Thread: How do you feel about feminism?

Default How do you feel about feminism?

To be honest, I'm starting to disagree or have serious questions about many feminist claims. I will say that I believe that there is a some relatively smaller degree of discrimination against women, though to what exact extent, I am undecided.

Claims such as "women make 77 cents for every male dollar" are outrageous exaggerations that are easily debunked. Now, regarding the attitudes and approach of feminists, I must say that I find most of them to be very thoughtful and fair people. However, I have seen quite a few cases where feminists have been overzealous, too sensitive to criticism, and sometimes make a big deal out of relatively harmless things. The feminist writing community seems obsessed with making articles that mock or make a caricature out of anyone who disagrees with them. Articles such as "8 types of assholes who always show up whenever feminism is mentioned" or "I'm not a feminist, but...". Or blog posts that make a huge deal out of this idea that many men are only fair-weather feminists who only make the claim to impress someone, which I find to often be a gross overstatement.

On the fact-based side of things, for the sake of brevity and conciseness, I'll post a few pics that illustrate some of my concerns and hopefully get a conversation going.

"Studies’ that compare average wages by gender, without controlling for demographic factors, can’t be taken seriously"
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

In positions there are more women than men nowadays, the salary decreases. I'm doing a postmaster to become a GP and when I'm done, I will receive 8 euro for every patient I see and around 20 euro for small surgeries. That does not compromise for the risk of misdiagnosis, for the risk of an infection, a bleeding, a puncture. It does not compromise for the 10 years of training I did in order to do everything in my power to be an expert and prevent any of the forementioned.

There are ways in which I like the traditional roles of men and women, if they are not considered fixed and can be customised to persona and profession. I'm happy to provide and work hard together, as I'll be happy to find a way to combine that with motherhood and make sacrifices if that day ever comes. I like the occasional roses, romantic dinner and compliment. The fact that I'm educated, doesn't make me less of a woman, or even a girl sometimes, marinating in my emotions. It doesn't give me male characteristics, or mean that I'm cold. I can still identify with my own gender. I just wish it wasn't valued differently.
    Last edited by JoY; 1 Week Ago at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Bryan_420 View Post
    TOUGH SHIT! YOU WANT TO BELIEVE,BUT CAN'T PROVE I'M A HOMO! BEIN' PURE DOESN'T PROVE I'M HOMOSEXUAL ASSHOLE!

Really? Here I was, picturing you making pots of money, swimming in it. Don't know where I got the impression from. Upbringing? Or somebody must have mentioned the word "Jewish" somewhere.

Apologies, and now on-topic. I don't give a damn about feminism. Or any kind of modern -ism, anyway. Less talk, more action, bring back Marie Curie.
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 1 Week Ago at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I must say that I find most of them to be very thoughtful and fair people. However, I have seen quite a few cases where feminists have been overzealous, too sensitive to criticism, and sometimes make a big deal out of relatively harmless things.
    There are assholes in every group.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    The feminist writing community seems obsessed with making articles that mock or make a caricature out of anyone who disagrees with them.
    There are extremists in every group.

Fundamentally I support feminism because equality for all is something I deeply believe in. The entire world appears to still be severely affected by the legacy of patriarchy and it goes far beyond salary comparisons. The whole 'rape culture' thing is an excellent example, if one is required.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

As a Jew, I just care about the cash.
    TOUGH SHIT! YOU WANT TO BELIEVE,BUT CAN'T PROVE I'M A HOMO! BEIN' PURE DOESN'T PROVE I'M HOMOSEXUAL ASSHOLE!

I support shemaleism, we need to be ruled by the women with huge dicks. If that fails, I'll take women with big sensitive clitorises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

1 members appreciate this post.

I would definitely consider myself a feminist.

As PIB said, there are extremists in every movement. And those extremists always make a bad case for anything, and put it in a bad light.

Alright, sounds good. So how do you define your feminism, for you personally?

2 members appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by JoY View Post
    Alright, sounds good. So how do you define your feminism, for you personally?
    Myself?

For me feminism is the right to equal opportunities, equal pay for equal work, etc. More personally, it means garnering the same respect as men in the same area of work/study, and not being expected to live up to stereotypes specific to my gender.