Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Static Martyr on Myspace

Cool stuff. You guys are hypercreative. I wish Offspring would make new songs every 2-3 days :-].
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

Yeah, well part of that is because I have a TON of free time and a lot of thinking to do....but I saw this one band on Myspace doing this thing where they do a new song every week for a whole year, and I thought that'd be a cool idea (since we kind of do that anyway, to an extent --- we occasionally go two or three weeks with nothing new, but occasionally we'll drop 2 or 3 in the same night~).

And thanks
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Alright, new shitty demo!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p7uyoc

It's called "Swing," and it's gonna be the intro track (after the spoken-word intro; it's the first "song" track) on our new album/EP thing we're self-releasing. Here's the lyrics:

"You're in the ring again
    Blindfolded on both sides
    Voices coming at you
    But you are never ready

It's in the eyes
    The place you don't want to be
    Don't understand, don't figure out
    Just swing for your life

If you aim for the neck, then you'll see
    A violent side that you don't want to be
    Is this your legacy? It's what you long to leave behind
    When you finally die

Your turn to sing again
    It's not that you don't know the words
    It's more like there aren't any
    An instrumental violation

Your turn to swing again
    Your turn to sing again
    You see the hurt, don't know the words

If you don't aim for the vein, then you'll see
    The violence subsides, leaves behind a human being
    This is my tribute, this is my offering to you
    Before you finally die

It's just a tragedy
    It's all inside of me
    Just swing for your life."
    "I'm sorry
    "

Oh my... I didn't realize how many songs you had posted! I just downloaded them from americana 08 on... wow... listening now. I'll tell you my thoughts when i am done. HAHA! nananananana BATMAN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Okay, this is our new fuckaroo band page: Great American Noise Machine!! It's basically all the weird/chaotic/nonsense stuff left over from Static Martyr, plus some original stuff written mostly by the other dudes in the band:

http://www.myspace.com/youreundoingmybeltwronghun

Two new songs, which we recorded Wednesday night --- "Long Road of Loneliness," and "Red State of Denial," both of which will be on the GANM EP called "White Flag of Surrender." Lemme know whatcha think if you can find the time to listen (shouldn't be too hard --- Red State is 54 seconds, Long Road is 1:23).

"I'm sorry
    "

Your last 3 songs are more like Static Martyr than GANM. Still cool stuff though ;].
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

I just checked the page again....I didn't see White Flag there the first time 0_0 Apparently they've decided to use that for GANM. Before, we had been thinking about using that as the intro track to our next Static Martyr album (kind of like 'Time to Relax' or 'Intro' from Smash and CO1, respectively....albeit a bit longer; maybe more like "The End" from MCR's The Black Parade).

So yeah, White Flag actually is technically Static Martyr --- I wrote all the music and Steve wrote all the lyrics. Allen wrote Red State and Steve wrote Long Road; so ironically, the stuff that sounds more SM-y is actually stuff that was not written by myself or Steve 0_0

But also, we're trying to merge the projects. I don't know how we'll handle that site-wise (which myspace we'll use), but expect more input from the other band members (we have 5 now, yay! GANM has a bassist, a drummer and two singers --- Steve and Allen), and be expecting more across-the-board random shit that nonetheless appears to have a watered-down rock edge~
    "I'm sorry
    "

This isn't really related to the band per se, but I've started a video series on my blog called "Solo Series" where I just have brief clips of myself playing solos from different songs on the guitar. It's mostly just an experiment with videos on my Myspace (I don't have any other videos at the moment 0_0), but maybe you'd like to see them?

http://www.myspace.com/timandjeffrey

That's my personal myspace. If you just click "view my videos" below the profile pic, it'll take you right to 'em. The only one that's done processing at the time of this posting is "The Hell Song" by Sum 41, but there are two others on their way (Tom Morello's solo from Anti-Flag's "Depleted Uranium Is A War Crime" and the solo from "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"), and later I'll be putting up another one (the full solo from our song, Static Martyr).

So have fun with that (or don't)~

--Tim
    "I'm sorry
    "

Alright, I went back and completely re-did the second and third solos (about 2-3 bars each) for this song, "Your Name (In Joke Form)," and the sendspace link is at the end of this post for anyone who's interested; I'd basically just like anyone who has a minute to give it a listen and rate my guitar playing on the second and third (and first, if you haven't heard it yet) solos. I'm trying to move beyond just running up and down the pentatonic scale, although most of my playing is still heavily minor-pentatonic- and blues-derived, and seeing that it took me as long as it has to realize that the original second and third solos from this song were almost identical to the one in "100 Nights With Pop-Pop," I'd really *really* *really* appreciate an extra, unbiased ear

No hurries, though; I'm using this one no matter what kind of review it gets, I just want kind of a rough "1 to 10" estimate of how this sounds; think of it as "rating my sound."

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I guess what I mean is....whether or not you play guitar....is my technique really obvious? That's what I'm worried about; I've gotten to the point where I've started recognizing some of the simple cliches of guitar playing that a lot of "pop-rock" bands utilize, and they just kind of feel lazy to me....I'm terribly afraid of suffering the same dilemma myself. So what I mean is, as you're listening, do you hear any little "moves" or "tricks" that seem really common or overused in guitar playing? I tried to be creative and blend several different styles together to make something that I hoped was different, and I feel like I did an alright job. So what do you think?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/im79xg
    Last edited by Static_Martyr; 11-23-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Well, I did notice that there are certain patterns you use in every solo... and I noticed that you use the pentatonic scale quite often... but I don't think that it's making the sound worse. It rather characterises the sound. And btw: I love "Your name in joke form"
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers