Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Static Martyr on Myspace

Yeah, I know, I hate that It's like I do it without even realizing it. That's one of the things I'm working on, though, so it should be getting less apparent with each song I record (if I'm doing it right 0_0).

And thanks, Steve is always stoked to hear that someone likes one of his songs~
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

The second and third solos are definitely re-done in a better way than they were. I definitely can hear the difference.
    And I don't think that you should worry that much about your solo's. It's alright if they are written in the same way, it's not your third released album, so you can't really say that you're being repetitive or something.
    I can't write solos, but I think one thing you might try to change is that you play solos with the same rhythm, so you might put some slower/faster (from the usual solo rhythm) parts in them. You know, like slide-bridges or faster shreds. I hope I don't sound like a fool and you can get what I mean. Easy for me to say huh :J.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

No, that actually makes a lot of sense; the repeating bend there in the middle of the second one was actually the first time I've ever tried to "break the rhythm," so to speak. It occurred to me after reading your post that, in retrospect, it could very well be the ocassional breaking of the rhythm that makes a solo feel like it's more than just a bunch of notes in a song....at least, giving it that quality that belongs to so many of my favorite solos

I have some ideas now~ Coincidentally, I also have a few songs to record....unfortunately, they're gonna have to wait until later this week, maybe this weekend 0_0 I'm almost done with this game, Persona 3, and I'll probably be playing it the next two days between work and sleep....it's one of those things I just can't put down until I'm done with it, see
    "I'm sorry
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Yeah, I know, I hate that It's like I do it without even realizing it. That's one of the things I'm working on, though, so it should be getting less apparent with each song I record
    I know that, too. I try to write different solos and I end up playing the pentatonic scale up and down But as long as it sounds good, I don't see no reason to stop it. Free? points it out very well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Free? View Post
    It's alright if they are written in the same way, it's not your third released album, so you can't really say that you're being repetitive or something.
    And in my opinion, it's better to play the pentatonic scale once again if it fits with the song than to insert some jazz arpeggios that don't fit at all. I mean, most people that listen to music probably don't even know what a scale is and just pay attention to the sound itself
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

I know that, too. I try to write different solos and I end up playing the pentatonic scale up and down But as long as it sounds good, I don't see no reason to stop it. Free? points it out very well:

Yeah, but that still makes me nervous....it doesn't completely dismiss the possibility that, if I keep playing this way without changing anything, I might still be using the exact same techs in a year or two, or maybe an album or two....I mean, most people don't know scales, you're right, but there's a part of me that thinks people will start to notice if the same few notes are repeated over and over and over across several albums (even if only on one or two songs)...

...or maybe I'm just paranoid? 0_0 In any case, I will still probably be using minor pentatonic/blues to base most of my stuff on....I'm just trying to figure out different ways to play it at the moment. I mean, there are hundreds of ways to play those notes --- shred, bend, unison bend, slide, mute, scratch, feedback, staccato, sweep, etc. --- I just need to learn how to do them

And in my opinion, it's better to play the pentatonic scale once again if it fits with the song than to insert some jazz arpeggios that don't fit at all. I mean, most people that listen to music probably don't even know what a scale is and just pay attention to the sound itself

Yeah....I notice a lot of the songs I use the MP scale in tend to have the same or similar chord progressions. Maybe that's it?

In any case, thanks for the advice, folks~ It's really gotten me thinking
    "I'm sorry
    "

Relax, Tim. It'll be alright. Yeah, you're simply paranoid, nothing serious to worry about! ;P I'm sure you'll discover many new moves on writing music. The fact that you're worried that much proves that you will not keep your hands down and just follow the road you already know, you'll try to find some new paths. Like you already did, your songs are diverse. Punk, hardcore, rockabilly, keyboard, acoustic: doesn't look like you just keep making clone songs.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

I guess all I'm really worried about is stagnation....when I first started playing, I would always practice like 5-7 hours a day and I felt like I was getting better all the time....but then I would hit a brick wall with something, like when I first started alternate picking (up-down-up instead of down-down-down); I couldn't even trill the same note on the same string, much less do any of the frilly shit that comes with soloing. I tried for months and months and months, practicing to the intro solo from "Idiot's Revenge" by The Bottle Rockets, and I got nowhere. Jack squat. Still sucked after three months, just as bad as when I first started. I got disheartened, and almost quit playing for awhile.

Then, one day, like a god-damned miracle.....I got up and started playing, and I realized I could just play it. Like I'd known how my whole life. Just like that, I could do it 0_0 It was like a "Level-up" in an RPG; it's like the whole time I was practicing, I was earning Experience Points, and when I finally accrued enough, my skill level just "increased" on the spot. Weirdest thing that ever happened to me.....although now it's kinda the norm. Anytime I learn a new trick or a new song, that's how it goes. I can't and I can't and I can't, and then BOOM! I can. I love it and I hate it 0_0 Although I'm glad for the "can" part that comes at the end.

Anyway, [/ramble]. I'm bringing this up because I want to say, I'm working on some new techniques (finger tapping, rapid hammer-on/pull-off, and sweep), and I'm getting fucking nowhere with all three. I can't really use them in songs until I get better, so I'm stuck doing the stuff I already know until that magic POP! happens and I can do one or all of them. And so I'm in this rut where I realize I need to expand, I just can't for the time being. It sucks
    "I'm sorry
    "

I notice a lot of the songs I use the MP scale in tend to have the same or similar chord progressions. Maybe that's it?
    Yeah... I think that's it. But that's a normal thing. If you'd write a song with some jazz chord progression, you'd also play the harmonic minor scale / arpeggios of the chords and not the pentatonic scale. On the other hand, it's totally normal that you play the pentatonic scale on your punk/rock songs. Something else just wouldn't fit. So relax, friend

P.S.: and why don't you check your myspace? Someone might want to add you
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Got a new one for ya~ It's called "This Is My Love For You," and it was written and voiced by Allen and Steve. It's kind of a Depeche Mode meets U2 kind of thing, if that makes sense. Oh, and with some hardcore vocals 0_0

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3q8g1k

No lyrics right now; I'll have to get 'em from Steve later. We also did a funny piece called "Feel This Fill That," behind which there is actually a story (I'll explain later, I only have a moment right now). Later~

P.S. We're done with the first Great American Noise Machine EP, called "White Flag Of Surrender," and we're currently working on the joint project to follow (Static Martyr + GANM), called "Saviors of Flavor"
    "I'm sorry
    "

Got a new one for ya~ It's called "This Is My Love For You," and it was written and voiced by Allen and Steve. It's kind of a Depeche Mode meets U2 kind of thing, if that makes sense. Oh, and with some hardcore vocals 0_0
    Pretty good stuff But I didn't hear any U2. (I mean "I like it" = "there's no U2")

The Ricetigers