Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: Static Martyr on Myspace

Nice! It was about time you got a youtube account! I really liked the new song... reminded me of the good old Back Issues days - can't wait for the rest of the album!
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Alright, folks (well, mostly just ad8 at this point, but hey, one listener is better than none)! The new EP is out and about and ready to go; you can download it here right now

Here are the details again:

White People Problems {28:31}

1. Sociohypochondriac {1:31}
    2. Mandy {2:09}
    3. I'm Too Sexy (Right Said Fred cover) {2:34}
    4. Unforgivable/Interlude {3:28}
    5. Proximity Love {3:47}
    6. White People Problems {3:50}
    7. Miss McIntyre {3:04}
    8. The White People Convention {4:04}
    *bonus track just for lols*
    9. Dry Ice - acoustic - (Green Day cover) {4:04}

Lyrics and cover art are in the rar file. If there are any problems with the download, let me know and I'll re-upload it somewhere else (I tried megaupload this time, but it kept telling me "an error occurred, try again later," so I went with sendspace again).

All I can say is....wow. I don't wanna toot my own horn here too much, but....aw, hell, yeah I do. This is my best work yet. I'm very proud of it. It's much more laid-back, kinda bluesy, but also very political. It's a nice mix of my older hardcore/punk-style lyrics but with a more folksy musical arrangement. I don't even know really what I'd call it --- I've been telling people around here that it's "folk rock."

Oh, and that reminds me; I passed out some demo copies before the EP was finished (just had the first 5 or 6 songs on it) to some of my "real life" friends, just to get some opinions (I was kinda uncertain about it while I was working on it), and so several of the people I work with asked me for one. So I passed out a couple at work.

So in the song "Mandy," there's a line where I say, "Those killer tats/I want her bad," as a reference to this girl's back tattoo. Well, I gave a copy of the unfinished EP (with "Mandy" on it) to this girl I work with in the evenings (she usually comes in right as I'm leaving), and she happened to be friends with my manager, so they both listened to it that night. The next day, they came in and told me they really liked the song "Mandy" (which was cool, cuz I originally wasn't gonna put it on there, it was more of an afterthought; I just liked it too much to throw it out so I threw it on there). I was all confident and happy about that; even though nobody seemed to care for the rest of it (I got some mixed reviews, to say the least), there was at least one song that everybody seemed to like, and that was good enough for me~

I even sent a copy to the lady about whom I'd originally written the song --- not for the obvious reasons, but rather because I felt like it was sort of unfair to write a song about her and not give her a copy of it, ya know? That's the kind of thing I'd want to know, if someone wrote a song about me. Anyway, so it never occurred to me why people might like this song so much, given the rest of the material on the EP.

So just the other day (this all happened like a week ago), as I'm finishing up my duties and getting ready to leave, this girl I work with says to me, "yeah, do I know this 'Mandy?'" And I was kind of a little embarrassed so I jokingly said, "Um, shut up!" But it was really obvious that it was the same Mandy. So she says, "I like the lyrics, though." And I'm like, "aw sweet! That's cool, thanks!" At about this time my GM is coming around the corner, followed by like three other people I work with, all of whom personally know the Mandy in question. So then this girl says, "Like where you're singing about her...um...'assets?'" And all of a sudden, everyone in the room turns to look at me. And I'm just like, "Whaaaa?!"

I mean, it's not that far-out or anything, but I know for a fact that I didn't write anything about her "assets," so I'm kind of confused. And also, everyone else is looking at me like, "Oh, so THAT's why he always liked her so much," etc. etc. Because frankly, this chick has fairly huge boobs.....huge, delicious boob....but yeah, it fit with the assumption.

But I said, "Huh? There's nothing like that in there...." And she sang me back the line, "Those killer tits I wanna bang." And it immediately hit me: She'd misheard my line, "Those killer tats, I want her bad." But it was too late; everyone in the room had already heard what she'd said, and there was no time to correct it.

Long story short, I had to go around to everyone one at a time, explaining that, while I cannot confirm the truth or falsehood of the notion that I would be content to fuck Mandy's titties, that was *not* the intention behind the lyrics I wrote.

Nobody really cared except for me, but I was kinda trying to go with the "good, clean love song" vibe, so you may understand why it struck me as odd. I mean, I did do a song on one of my previous two albums called "Perverse Sexual Lust" But seriously, I explained, I wouldn't write that about someone and then pass it around publicly. If I was gonna write something explicit like that, I'd keep the names off of it and make it more vague and poetic, so that only the person I wrote it for would recognize it.

All in all it was pretty funny; I got a free chance to pimp my music (most people I work with didn't even know that I wrote music until this little mishap got around), and I also got a free chance (that I would not normally have gotten) to openly profess my feelings for this lady

Now, if only she hadn't already rejected me like six months ago, shortly after the song was originally written.... But yeah. It all worked out great after all, cuz now I have a funny story to include on the next album jacket (or something)!

P.S. I TOTALLY beat the mixtape out. How's that for cool? When I sent my song to the mixtape, exactly one of these tracks was recorded.

[/brag brag brag]
    Last edited by Static_Martyr; 05-08-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

I downloaded the new EP and listened through it once, but I think I am going to listen to it once more before posting a longer review. For now, I can say that I am happy to listen to some new T3 material and can only encourage to post more youtube videos like Mandy, especially for your older songs like The Answer etc.! I usually like to share youtube videos of songs that I like on facebook, so yeah... that might give some more attention to your music
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Alright, so here is my song-by-song review. I usually only look at the lyrics once a song has really grown on me and I ask myself what the words are that I'm humming along to, so I might talk about lyrics in a couple of days/weeks:

Sociohypochondriac - A good light-hearted opening song... I also liked the random talk in the beginning

Mandy - The "single" off the ep... I can see why you picked this one. It has a really catchy chorus and a good energetic vibe, even though it is not too fast.

I'm too sexy - Haha, once again you surprised me with a funny cover, just like "The Greatest Song Ever Written".... instant classic!

Unforgivable - This is a nice song with a good piano part. It totally suits the song. Nice guitar solos as well. Who is the person holding the speech in the outro? I was familiar with the case he is talking about, though... it got much attention in the media here since it happened in Austria.

Proximity Love - It is a good song, but the piano in the beginning sounds kind of out of tune... which is weird. I know that the notes would actually sound harmonious but something makes them sound weird. And what makes it even more mysterious is that you are playing on a keyboard, right? Anyway, the rest of the song is pretty epic... especially when the other instruments kick in.

White People Problems - I love this one! It is a little similar to I Forgot How To Die, which is probably my favorite slow T3 song. This one is great, too! The catchy chorus makes one want to sing along immediately! I kind of miss the fast straight-up punk rock songs on this album, but the end of this song shows me why I like them so much.

Miss McIntyre - A good quiet acoustic piece... with a really nice guitar solo in the end!

White People Convention - Another more energetic one... again I love the energetic end part of the song just after you thought it would end with that smooth clean guitar part

Dry Ice - I did not know the original song by Green Day ( ), but just like Miss McIntyre this is a nice and relaxed acoustic piece which just seems to be perfectly made for a campfire night.

All in all I can say that this is another really good release, although it can't keep up with Back Issues and Alabamatheist in my opinion. But it has nothing to do with the quality of the existing songs. Rather, I would have wished for another one or two short and fast punk rock songs like Madam K, More Than A Liberal, PSL and many more. But still, the present songs are great and I understand how this is the consequence of you making your music more diverse and evolving in what you do. Looking forward to the next one!

The Ricetigers

Quote Originally Posted by terricaryan1 View Post
    Hey! Tim, Good Luck . Hope many more will join you very soon.
    The bot knows ur name!!!

The Ricetigers

The bot knows ur name!!!
    Must've gotten deleted before I saw it....but yeah, I seem to get a lot of those!

Seriously, though....first off, as always, thanks for the listen! On top of the usual reasons, I've also been kind of depressed lately due to personal drama and people complimenting me on stuff when I wasn't expecting it actually seems to help a lot.

Unforgivable - This is a nice song with a good piano part. It totally suits the song. Nice guitar solos as well. Who is the person holding the speech in the outro? I was familiar with the case he is talking about, though... it got much attention in the media here since it happened in Austria.
    That would be Christopher Hitchens. I got it from a youtube clip of him taking part in a panel discussion I'll try to dig out the link somewhere, but the relevant clip is part of one of the "Hitchslap" compilations on youtube.

Proximity Love - It is a good song, but the piano in the beginning sounds kind of out of tune... which is weird. I know that the notes would actually sound harmonious but something makes them sound weird. And what makes it even more mysterious is that you are playing on a keyboard, right? Anyway, the rest of the song is pretty epic... especially when the other instruments kick in.
    It was actually my guitar and bass that were slightly out of tune (they're trapped in this weird infinite limbo between open E and open F). I changed the pitch of the keyboard in CoolEdit after I recorded it so it would be in tune with the rest of the song; so there may be a slight tuning error as a result of that.

Really, I'm just glad that *that* was your complaint, instead of how ridiculously hectic and off-beat the piano part is I haven't played in awhile so my pace is all shot to hell.

White People Problems - I love this one! It is a little similar to I Forgot How To Die, which is probably my favorite slow T3 song. This one is great, too! The catchy chorus makes one want to sing along immediately! I kind of miss the fast straight-up punk rock songs on this album, but the end of this song shows me why I like them so much.
    You may or may not find it passably interesting to know that WPP was originally supposed to be a "fast" song (the only one on the album); I changed it because I came up with that little lead-riff thing, and I really wanted to use it because I though it'd make the song feel more like a Bottle Rockets tune. I just couldn't fit it in as a fast song so I slowed it down.

Miss McIntyre - A good quiet acoustic piece... with a really nice guitar solo in the end!
    Also maybe passably interesting story: I wrote that song for this chick I know, like a year after she rejected me. I was toying with the idea of sending her a copy just for the lulz, but then we had this squabble like a week ago and now she hates my guts So I'm not really sure how to feel about it right now. It gives me kind of a lot of emotions to hear it....I actually almost didn't include it just for that reason, since I was passing this around where I work and she might wind up hearing it. You might say this song was me throwing a tantrum to myself that she rejected me and that I'll probably never be able to say those things to her.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    That would be Christopher Hitchens. I got it from a youtube clip of him taking part in a panel discussion I'll try to dig out the link somewhere, but the relevant clip is part of one of the "Hitchslap" compilations on youtube.
    Ah, ok... I might check that out. I love the point he is making.
    It was actually my guitar and bass that were slightly out of tune (they're trapped in this weird infinite limbo between open E and open F). I changed the pitch of the keyboard in CoolEdit after I recorded it so it would be in tune with the rest of the song; so there may be a slight tuning error as a result of that.

Really, I'm just glad that *that* was your complaint, instead of how ridiculously hectic and off-beat the piano part is I haven't played in awhile so my pace is all shot to hell.

You may or may not find it passably interesting to know that WPP was originally supposed to be a "fast" song (the only one on the album); I changed it because I came up with that little lead-riff thing, and I really wanted to use it because I though it'd make the song feel more like a Bottle Rockets tune. I just couldn't fit it in as a fast song so I slowed it down.
    Ah, ok. No, the wild piano actually suits the song, I think. Also, it is funny that WPP was supposed to be a fast song, but the way it turned out I'd rather have it on the album like this since it turned out really great.
    Also maybe passably interesting story: I wrote that song for this chick I know, like a year after she rejected me. I was toying with the idea of sending her a copy just for the lulz, but then we had this squabble like a week ago and now she hates my guts So I'm not really sure how to feel about it right now. It gives me kind of a lot of emotions to hear it....I actually almost didn't include it just for that reason, since I was passing this around where I work and she might wind up hearing it. You might say this song was me throwing a tantrum to myself that she rejected me and that I'll probably never be able to say those things to her.
    Hehe, I found myself in similar situations as well... and even though things like this make me feel awful I still see the positive side of being inspired to write music

The Ricetigers

Yeah, here's the Hitchslap video I mentioned, if you were interested. I can't find the full interview right now (sorry ), but it's out there somewhere.

Hehe, I found myself in similar situations as well... and even though things like this make me feel awful I still see the positive side of being inspired to write music
    Yeah, at the end of the day I'm always glad to have a song written about it I always like to come back years later and listen to shit I wrote about stuff I really cared about, and it's always kind of nostalgic and weird to hear it because I remember *exactly* how I felt when I wrote that song. I still feel that way listening to that concept album I made in 2009....yeesh.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Hai guys! I got another short EP for ya. It's called the Draw Mohammed Day/Rapture Weekend 2011 EP, and you can get it here.

The new EP has the following tracks:

1. Autumn {2:32}
    2. Jesus Is A Friend of Mine (Sonseed cover) {3:36}
    3. So You Say (The Religion of Peace) {1:36}

Enjoy (or don't)!
    "I'm sorry
    "

Wow, I felt like the recent album had just been released and there you go and bring out another ep! I almost forgot that you used to make instrumentals once in a while, but Autumn reminded me of that. And it is a nice song, actually! Once again, my knowledge in music is insufficient because I don't know Jesus Is A Friend Of Mine but your cover is awesome and the lyrics are hilarious
    Also, it is very nice to hear an electric version of So You Say, which was one of my favorite acoustic songs of yours, but this version is even better!
    Keep it up!

The Ricetigers