Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The Dark Knight

I KNEW I saw that guy somewhere! The guy who was going to blackmail Bruce...

That's So Raven. <3

He was the one with the extremely stanky BO. <3

I don't think Reese is played by a big enough actor to hold down the Riddler role, but maybe he'll end up being a secondary villain? I mean, this guy has been in every cop/CSI/etc. drama on TV, but that doesn't mean he'll transition well to the big screen. He's too babyfaced. He's a supporting actor. The best friend, not the leading man.

I just saw the next Harry Potter movie trailer and peed a little with excitement. But seeing Dumbledore brought up a good point in my mind. HP could not possibly write Dumbledore out of the script after the actor playing him died, but conveniently there had been all these LOTR movies and Gandalf looks enough like Dumbledore to make that transition work well. Just because Heath Ledger died, they cannot possibly write Joker, Batman's chief arch nemesis, out of the script. They will have to re-cast him. It will be controversial, as I agree that Ledger's reading of the character is the one that all future Jokers will have to play from and be measured against, but they have to do it.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Yes, new Harry Potter. Can't wait!
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    I just saw the next Harry Potter movie trailer and peed a little with excitement. But seeing Dumbledore brought up a good point in my mind. HP could not possibly write Dumbledore out of the script after the actor playing him died, but conveniently there had been all these LOTR movies and Gandalf looks enough like Dumbledore to make that transition work well. Just because Heath Ledger died, they cannot possibly write Joker, Batman's chief arch nemesis, out of the script. They will have to re-cast him. It will be controversial, as I agree that Ledger's reading of the character is the one that all future Jokers will have to play from and be measured against, but they have to do it.
    Except Gandalf's actor Ian McKellen isn't the new Dumbledore (would've been all too appropriate, though!), Michael Gambon is the new Dumbledore, replacing Richard Harris. Stop confusing your old British dudes, Sarah!

And honestly, I don't know. The comparison is not too apt. Dumbledore is a typical wise old man character, whose characteristics are hidden behind age and a big beard. Most of the adult cast of HP are such veterans that they could sleepwalk through the roles and people would still think they did a good job. To be honest I prefer the new Dumbledore because Gambon brings out the eccentricity of the character but then, that could just be the script.

Anyway, in comparison to Ledger's Joker, he went really deep into this role, you could say oddly method for a character in a comic movie. The lipsmacking, the voice, the way of speaking.. A radio DJ I listen to did a dead-on Joker impersonation the other day that reminded me just how unique Ledger made this character into (with a lot of credit given to the director, obviously).

Also, were people quoting Dumbledore? Were people invested in the character? Ledger's Joker has been making his mark, even in such a small period of time. The replacement would have big shoes to fill - I'm unsure whether it could work and I'm unsure whether they have to do it. They're striving for "realism", after all. Technically a realistic solution could well be that Joker never manages to escape Arkham and never manages to pester Batman again, at least not in the full force that he did previously.
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    Except Gandalf's actor Ian McKellen isn't the new Dumbledore (would've been all too appropriate, though!), Michael Gambon is the new Dumbledore, replacing Richard Harris. Stop confusing your old British dudes, Sarah!.....

.....The replacement would have big shoes to fill - I'm unsure whether it could work and I'm unsure whether they have to do it. They're striving for "realism", after all. Technically a realistic solution could well be that Joker never manages to escape Arkham and never manages to pester Batman again, at least not in the full force that he did previously.
    Whatever, all old British dudes look the same! Michael Caine should play Dumbledore too.

I just don't think it'd be realistic to say the Joker is locked away in Arkham for all eternity, especially since it's been established how good he is at getting himself out of situations by manipulating people. No doubt a replacement would have big shoes to fill, though.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Technically a realistic solution could well be that Joker never manages to escape Arkham and never manages to pester Batman again, at least not in the full force that he did previously.
    Realistic perhaps, but not believable in this case. The Joker could escape from pretty much anywhere given enough time. And though I've never read comic books, I've done a little research while bored at work, and in the comics it's established that the Joker can leave Arkham any time he feels like it. He just stays there until it stops amusing him and then he leaves. They need to keep that in the movies. It's awesome.

The replacement would have big shoes to fill
    Yeah, clown-sized you might say.

Can't believe nobody beat me to that.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks