Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things which only occur in ONE particular Offspring song

Default Things which only occur in ONE particular Offspring song

I think the bridge in "Come Out Swinging" is the only part in any Offspring song which uses a 4/4 time signature phrased in groupings of 5.

Can you think of any others?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I have no idea what you said.

I'm not a trendy asshole
    I do what I want
    I do what I feel like
    I'm not a trendy asshole
    Don't give a fuck
    If it's good enough for you

Come Out Swinging is the best offspring song that never got played live

I haven't thought of it previously, but yes - it makes it special.

It's in the "Midnight, no sleep" bridge. The chord progression repeats after five bars instead of the usual four.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan für den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer låter bra.

The whole self-titled album is full of musical ideas that they haven't touched since. Guitar riffs like the start of a thousands days and crossroads, the "dumb" drum fills and the sense of musical freedom that they quickly rid off to coin their signature sound.

Besides that, a specific part in one of their songs would be the chords in the verse of Have You Ever. They're not all power chords, but don't stick out as a riff or a leadwork. Uses octaves and 3rds (or forths, they're not fifths I know that much) which are uncommon (kids aren't alright and feelings both use 3rds and denial revisited uses octaves). It's not like the Offspring only use power chords or 5ths, but their usual formula is powerchords with lead over the top, not often does their rhythm section use more than power chords (except on americana and their first album)

I've never heard offspring do the typical octave leads over powerchords thing that bands like NOFX use often, so denial revisited is rare in that regard.

The arpeggios in the chorus of trust in you are rare as well, along with the ride cymbal pattern at the start of hammerhead.

Also, the key change on americana (the song) i'm pretty sure they've not done since.
    Quote Originally Posted by lousyskater View Post
    the offspring pretty much copied the vandals song too much drama.

Also, I haven't listened to conspiracy of one or anything from it for over 10 years. I used to think it sounded really overproduced, but listening back it's a pretty honest sounding record (apart from the snare samples, but I'm not opposed, totally normal thing and considering how quiet ron's left hand was at faster tempos, it's understandable, they've done it since Americana)

That bridge in come out swinging does sound really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Also, I haven't listened to conspiracy of one or anything from it for over 10 years.
    I listen to it about 25 times a year haha

The key change in Americana is unique for sure, that song is also their only one in Drop D tuning, and that's only for the intro. Rest of the song is standard, or 1/2 step down live.

I always thought the call and respond kinda verse in All I Want was fairly rare as well, the effect on his voice. They've done it since but not in that way I feel

The solo for Want You Bad is a bit different as well, octave chords as the lead over standard power chords

Another rarity which I find cool is when guitar plays just the one chord and bass and or guitar 2 plays underneath, such as verse 2 of Never Gonna Find Me and Genocide, before the chorus

Songs that fade out are rare too, like We Are One and All I Have Left Is You

That's my contribution anyway

I believe that Huck It and All Along are the only Offspring songs in which the drum pattern features the NOFX style punk beat having the fast, double bass sounding sixteenth notes. In Huck It, I hear the generic *doot kat doot doot kat* beat. In All Along, I hear a modified version of this beat.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I believe that Huck It and All Along are the only Offspring songs in which the drum pattern features the NOFX style punk beat having the fast, double bass sounding sixteenth notes. In Huck It, I hear the generic *doot kat doot doot kat* beat. In All Along, I hear a modified version of this beat.
    Interesting that, I've felt since they got rid of Ron they've used the generic punk beat for most of their stuff. Even their old stuff live doesn't have the same feel that Ron had.

I'm not good enough at music theory to know what he's doing, but I'd be really interested to know exactly what the band does in songs like No Brakes, change the world etc.
    The notation seems easy enough, it's how it swings and flows over a tempo, and how the chords are positioned and when they change that really makes it special, and why I can never find musicians who can keep in time with Offspring songs properly (including myself ahah). Most people just play the NOFX beat and reckon I'm the one who's wrong.