Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you eat meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    i agree with you on some level, but here's the thing: say i want diamond earrings. i research it. i become aware that most diamonds come from questionable sources and there is a lot of exploitation involved. i have two options: decide that i don't really care that much, i want something sparkly, and buy it anyway - or decide that i care too much and would feel bad about the exploitative nature of the industry, and not buy the thing. from my perspective, both options are OK, because they are honest. however, if i buy the earrings and continue waxing poetic about how i appreciaaate the sacrifice the African children made so that i could wear something sparkly, and my blessings are with them as i wear my earrings... well, that's just disingenuous.
    I understand.. you have a point more against the "appreciate the sacrifice" bullshit.. I grant you that. The thing is, if you won't buy it someone else will, so why not buy it. Ya know?

i agree with you on some level, but here's the thing: say i want diamond earrings. i research it. i become aware that most diamonds come from questionable sources and there is a lot of exploitation involved. i have two options: decide that i don't really care that much, i want something sparkly, and buy it anyway - or decide that i care too much and would feel bad about the exploitative nature of the industry, and not buy the thing. from my perspective, both options are OK, because they are honest. however, if i buy the earrings and continue waxing poetic about how i appreciaaate the sacrifice the African children made so that i could wear something sparkly, and my blessings are with them as i wear my earrings... well, that's just disingenuous.
    Baby steps. First you have to challenge your values system and realize what's wrong and what's right, then you preach to everybody your new-found morals and only then, slowly, it becomes something you do yourself almost unconsciously. Isn't it how it works? You start with what's safe and easy...
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

Oxy - you're right, it's the "sacrifice" shit that bothers me.

regarding your other point, i think it's ok for a person to question the industry they support by spending their money. granted, a lot of it is about personal satisfaction, privilege and yes - ego stroking. ;p
    a lot of activism and stuff like that is based on a desire for moral superiority, which is totally understandable and human.. right? we all want to feel like we're better/more aware than others. it's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if good things come out of it.

regarding shopping and ethics, you pick your battles, i guess. i know people who will not drink coffee unless it's certified fair trade. i'm not one of those people. lol. then again, i wouldn't spend my money on a fur coat, but i wear leather/shearling boots (although I don't send my phony-ass blessings to the sheep who will die for my next pair of Uggs).

Baby steps. First you have to challenge your values system and realize what's wrong and what's right, then you preach to everybody your new-found morals and only then, slowly, it becomes something you do yourself almost unconsciously. Isn't it how it works? You start with what's safe and easy...
    true, but it's also the first step on the path to complacency. honestly, you or me thinking good thoughts towards creatures who died for our benefit is a purely selfish act, unless we take it a step further. and if we don't want to take it a step further, which is fine too, what's the point in thinking good thoughts in the first place?
    Last edited by Sunny; 08-05-2008 at 08:31 AM.

When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

eating meat is a crime to animals
    we killed them in a cruel way
    just to eat them? please....

anyways, it's a crime
    don't matter how you think
    it's a crime
    i'm a veggie and a animal rights activist

but who listens to us anyways?

No one... So stop spreading your propaganda.
    But you won’t because you’re all little persistent bastards.

Also where the hell do you get off saying killing animals is a crime?
    Last edited by adombomb222; 08-05-2008 at 06:33 PM.

PUT OFF THE FUSS YOU CHICKENSHIT

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    I really wanna think this was sarcasm... but I don't remember adombomb ever being much of a sarcastic guy... :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Joke View Post
    Turn on - vaginas

Turn off - cox

true, but it's also the first step on the path to complacency. honestly, you or me thinking good thoughts towards creatures who died for our benefit is a purely selfish act, unless we take it a step further. and if we don't want to take it a step further, which is fine too, what's the point in thinking good thoughts in the first place?
    I agree, but I want to ask: how long did it take you to go from thoughts to action?
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

Quote Originally Posted by yulka View Post
    eating meat is a crime to animals
    we killed them in a cruel way
    just to eat them? please....

anyways, it's a crime
    don't matter how you think
    it's a crime
    i'm a veggie and a animal rights activist

but who listens to us anyways?
    Hm... so every cat, hawk, fish or even frog is a murder since they also kill other beings to get food and survive? I agree that the majority of animals is mistreated by people, especially the ones that get to die for our food. But I don't agree that we can't kill them because it would be a crime. People need to eat meat. That is how nature works. And raising animals to provide the food for people is just a way to make sure you survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Personally this is what I think: If we are animals (which many people think we are) then what is wrong with us killing and eating animals when it happens in the wild all the time? What's the difference between us killing a cow to eat and a lion taking down a buffalo, suffocating it? Or a croc ripping and drowning its prey?

Just thoughts.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

Quote Originally Posted by IamSam View Post
    Personally this is what I think: If we are animals (which many people think we are) then what is wrong with us killing and eating animals when it happens in the wild all the time? What's the difference between us killing a cow to eat and a lion taking down a buffalo, suffocating it? Or a croc ripping and drowning its prey?

Just thoughts.
    First of all, it's further than "thinking" we are animals; scientifically speaking, humans ARE animals. It's a scientific fact.

Second of all, the argument is that we are far more evolved than a lion. A lion takes down a buffalo because it doesn't have the option to eat tofu and drink soy milk. It's about evolution, and I agree with that aspect. One argument I hear a lot is that human kind is constantly moving toward non-violence, little by little, and there's no real reason left to continue violence toward animals.

I can see that perspective just fine, and don't argue with it. However, I do like to eat meat, and I guess I'm just another asshole who says, my contribution makes no difference in the grand scheme- I stop eating meat, and it doesn't stop animals from dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I haven't eaten meat in nearly 3 years. Moral reasons.