Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 211

Thread: Do you eat meat?

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,053


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    I was just trying to make a penguin joke.
    I can say I honestly giggled at your penguin joke. All is not lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,929


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    It's true. I like TNG but the latter seasons were sooo much better. Even the first couple of seasons of DS9 (actually haven't gotten further than season 3 of DS9 but from memory I recall Voyager being pretty kickass. At least in the semi-latter seasons.)
    Voyager definitely picked up as it progressed, but you have to sit through the early ones to fully appreciate it all.

    DS9 is my favorite, excluding Enterprise. DS9 probably has the least Roddenberry influence of them all. In fact, I've heard it said that they intentionally crammed it full of themes that Roddenberry never allowed. Such as major conflict between permanent characters, and technology having a bad side. There's war, genocide, betrayal, and officers disregarding protocols in even ways Kirk wouldn't have considered. It's got the finest writing and best characters of all the Trek shows. It's the show that made me a Trek fan to begin with.

    DS9 is also the least popular Star Trek show amongst Trekkies, making me somewhat less nerdy by loving it. Maybe.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  3. #123
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DTLA -The city of angels
    Posts
    731


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I haven't eaten meat for over 3 years now. I'm trying to understand how people who eat meat justify their decision. Since I usually hear nothing but stupid cliches and one liners when people try to argue this subject, I'm going to have to request that people refrain from doing that in this thread. I don't care if you think vegetarians are pretentious or anything beside the point like that, just explain in an intelligent way why you personally think it's okay to eat meat.
    I eat meat all the time. Steak and potatoes oneof my favorite meals. I believe that animals play the role of being a food source. They sacafice their lives for the greater good. I bless, appreciate and am thankful to all of the animals are farmed for human benefit.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,293


    Exclamation

    dude, honestly, i don't care if you eat meat or not, but your "appreciation" and "blessings" stuff is ridiculous.

    animals aside, i own some goods that were probably made by child workers, i own some jewelry that probably perpetuated the exploitation of miners, and i'm not exactly proud of it, but i'm not going to go around spouting shit like "i appreciate the sacrifice and back-breaking labor of these workers, really, i do, my thoughts are with them". my appreciation and blessings (read: condescension) are not worth shit to these people, because my money actively contributed to their misery. really now.

    When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,929


    Default

    I have no problem with the bless and appreciation. If that's his religious view (and I'm guessing it's religious) I can tolerate that no problem. But the sacrifice part is retarded. It makes it sound like they voluntarily give their lives for our culinary enjoyment.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,293


    Exclamation

    well, it's my religious belief that expressing phony appreciation while doing nothing to alleviate the suffering you "appreciate" is nothing but giving your own ego a handjob.

    pardon my crudeness.

    and yeah, i don't think we can talk about "sacrifice" if the being in question didn't consent to being sacrificed. if i ever stumble upon a particularly giving chinchilla that would LOVE to warm my ass as a part of a fur coat... well, i'll let you know.

    When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,418


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    well, it's my religious belief that expressing phony appreciation while doing nothing to alleviate the suffering you "appreciate" is nothing but giving your own ego a handjob.

    pardon my crudeness.

    and yeah, i don't think we can talk about "sacrifice" if the being in question didn't consent to being sacrificed. if i ever stumble upon a particularly giving chinchilla that would LOVE to warm my ass as a part of a fur coat... well, i'll let you know.
    I think it's a bit arrogant to think you can actually contribute to alleviate the suffering. But that's just my take on it. I think that's true mental masturbation.
    IE talking about how wrong child labor and sweatshops are, from the comfort of our western homes is real easy. But when you crunch the numbers and you realize, that those who work at sweatshops usually make over average salaries in the areas they are working, and it's their only surefire way of survival. It becomes a whole other story.

    I'm not attacking you I'm just saying the whole thing is way too utterly fucked up for us to be able to change it on a micro level.. perhaps even a macro level!

    Besides everything is made in a china now anyway...

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,293


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    I think it's a bit arrogant to think you can actually contribute to alleviate the suffering. But that's just my take on it. I think that's true mental masturbation.
    IE talking about how wrong child labor and sweatshops are, from the comfort of our western homes is real easy. But when you crunch the numbers and you realize, that those who work at sweatshops usually make over average salaries in the areas they are working, and it's their only surefire way of survival. It becomes a whole other story.

    I'm not attacking you I'm just saying the whole thing is way too utterly fucked up for us to be able to change it on a micro level.. perhaps even a macro level!

    Besides everything is made in a china now anyway...
    i agree with you on some level, but here's the thing: say i want diamond earrings. i research it. i become aware that most diamonds come from questionable sources and there is a lot of exploitation involved. i have two options: decide that i don't really care that much, i want something sparkly, and buy it anyway - or decide that i care too much and would feel bad about the exploitative nature of the industry, and not buy the thing. from my perspective, both options are OK, because they are honest. however, if i buy the earrings and continue waxing poetic about how i appreciaaate the sacrifice the African children made so that i could wear something sparkly, and my blessings are with them as i wear my earrings... well, that's just disingenuous.

    When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,418


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    i agree with you on some level, but here's the thing: say i want diamond earrings. i research it. i become aware that most diamonds come from questionable sources and there is a lot of exploitation involved. i have two options: decide that i don't really care that much, i want something sparkly, and buy it anyway - or decide that i care too much and would feel bad about the exploitative nature of the industry, and not buy the thing. from my perspective, both options are OK, because they are honest. however, if i buy the earrings and continue waxing poetic about how i appreciaaate the sacrifice the African children made so that i could wear something sparkly, and my blessings are with them as i wear my earrings... well, that's just disingenuous.
    I understand.. you have a point more against the "appreciate the sacrifice" bullshit.. I grant you that. The thing is, if you won't buy it someone else will, so why not buy it. Ya know?

  10. #130


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    i agree with you on some level, but here's the thing: say i want diamond earrings. i research it. i become aware that most diamonds come from questionable sources and there is a lot of exploitation involved. i have two options: decide that i don't really care that much, i want something sparkly, and buy it anyway - or decide that i care too much and would feel bad about the exploitative nature of the industry, and not buy the thing. from my perspective, both options are OK, because they are honest. however, if i buy the earrings and continue waxing poetic about how i appreciaaate the sacrifice the African children made so that i could wear something sparkly, and my blessings are with them as i wear my earrings... well, that's just disingenuous.
    Baby steps. First you have to challenge your values system and realize what's wrong and what's right, then you preach to everybody your new-found morals and only then, slowly, it becomes something you do yourself almost unconsciously. Isn't it how it works? You start with what's safe and easy...
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •