Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 211

Thread: Do you eat meat?

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    If you can't admit that males get more shit than females about being vegetarian, this conversation is over. Hell, it was stupid of me to post something like this here anyway.
    It was very stupid of you to have made this thread, yes. But saying that men GENERALLY get more shit about it than females automatically means that YOU get more shit than 1565 is just STUPID. Women generally live longer than men, but one of my female friends died at the age of 21 while a male friend of mine is still alive at 23. Come on...

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Alright, I'm just gonna lay all my cards out on the table here...

    This thread just didn't work out the way I wanted it to. Hell, the reason I made this thread is because I'm starting to consider not being a vegetarian anymore, and here I am being considered one of the douchebag arrogant vegetarians. I guess I can kinda sorta see how in my first post I was slightly defensive. But vegetarians get a lot of shit, so I was just trying to keep out people who just want to give me shit for being a vegetarian. It's not about being a martyr, it's just plain true that you get a lot of shit if you don't eat meat. I shouldn't have said that I "guarantee" that as a male I've taken more shit about it (and god knows you guys pounced right on that opportunity), but I think it's pretty safe to say that's it's generally true that males are given a harder time about not eating meat.
    A better way to have gone about it would be to say things like, "I know people have negative attitudes toward vegetarians a lot of times, so please keep your negativity out of this thread." Telling people they need to justify why they do something is very much implicate that you believe their beliefs are worthless and can't be argued for.

    The worst part of this is that I'm wasting my time responding to this. bighead has proven over and over that he doesn't want intelligent conversation... he wants arguments. That's why he hasn't responded to a single post in this thread where someone actually DID explain their beliefs, which is what he originally asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,449


    Default

    Haha, I forgot about DxH.

    His arms are HUGE.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,365


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    It was very stupid of you to have made this thread, yes. But saying that men GENERALLY get more shit about it than females automatically means that YOU get more shit than 1565 is just STUPID. Women generally live longer than men, but one of my female friends died at the age of 21 while a male friend of mine is still alive at 23. Come on...



    A better way to have gone about it would be to say things like, "I know people have negative attitudes toward vegetarians a lot of times, so please keep your negativity out of this thread." Telling people they need to justify why they do something is very much implicate that you believe their beliefs are worthless and can't be argued for.

    The worst part of this is that I'm wasting my time responding to this. bighead has proven over and over that he doesn't want intelligent conversation... he wants arguments. That's why he hasn't responded to a single post in this thread where someone actually DID explain their beliefs, which is what he originally asked.
    That ain't what happened. Nice try.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nowhere, Ohio
    Posts
    5,641


    Default

    It sure seems like that's what happened, and I know it isn't just llamas and I that think that.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,365


    Default

    Been busy dealing with people trying to bullshit me. Anmd no one said anything besides that they don't care. So shut your mouth up ya slob.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,383


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Dude, read the thread. Most people posting here have said they do eat meat.
    Dude read the rest of the post. I was joking around saying anyone who doesn't eat uncooked raw ground beef with raw eggs is still a fruity vegetarian. I was kidding / joking / having fun.

    My POV is that eating meat is natural.

    Eating nothing but tons processed McDonalds shit isn't.

    There should be a healthy balance we should strive for. Being on any end of the extreme is stupid IMHO. Or if it comes naturally to you, fine.. but it only applies to you.

    Something like that

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Kind of. I was a DDD at my heaviest, and now I'm down to a single D. Life is pain.
    So you should be Big_Miss_1565 Poseur =)

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,383


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    The most compelling argument for vegetarianism is all the antibiotics in our meat weakens our immune system. But it just tastes so good. If we could afford it we'd probably by ecological (organic..?) meat. But on our measly income that's just silly.
    Keep in mind tho that that is a very north american specific problem. Or no that's a lie, but the scale of it is. I mean here where I live you have very easy access to both mass produced and organic. People still make it blah blah blah. In fact if you buy the cheapest like out in the market or at your local butcher shop, you can very easily buy organic shit. I think it's pretty much the same throughout the rest of Europe.

    Although we also have "bio" or "organic" stores that are more expensive, but not crazy differences.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,383


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    It was very stupid of you to have made this thread, yes. But saying that men GENERALLY get more shit about it than females automatically means that YOU get more shit than 1565 is just STUPID. Women generally live longer than men, but one of my female friends died at the age of 21 while a male friend of mine is still alive at 23. Come on...
    It is I think generally true that men get more shit for something like that.. I mean men will tolerate and put up with a whole lot as long as there is the chance of getting some pussy.

    Of course it doesn't mean that badhead get more shit than 1565 you are absolutely right it is just STUPID.

    And you were also right how he never reacted to anything.

    I think I stated a very valid argument, and a suggestion about what the real question should be (how much and what kind of meat we eat), no reaction.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,892


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I guess I can kinda sorta see how in my first post I was slightly defensive. But vegetarians get a lot of shit, so I was just trying to keep out people who just want to give me shit for being a vegetarian. It's not about being a martyr, it's just plain true that you get a lot of shit if you don't eat meat. I shouldn't have said that I "guarantee" that as a male I've taken more shit about it (and god knows you guys pounced right on that opportunity), but I think it's pretty safe to say that's it's generally true that males are given a harder time about not eating meat.

    If you had said this sooner, and not said some unfortunate things later, I think people would be going much easier on you.

    Fact is you did sound like a douche at first, but I would suggest that we all ignore that now. It's been pointed out enough, and you made a slight concession towards acknowledging it yourself.

    I'll accept that as a vegetarian you may have got a "lot of shit". You say you did, and I have no reason to doubt it. I can understand that would become highly irritating and make you defensive about the subject. If you're this defensive about it though I'd suggest not voluntarily bringing the subject up, but that's your choice.

    Like some people have said though, part of the reason why vegetarians get some shit thrown their way is because of all the preachy vegetarians out there. We carnivores don't particularly like having our morality questioned because of what we have for lunch. And like someone said, this becomes an ugly cycle of criticism.

    I love to eat meat. Absolutely love it. Is it healthy? I don't really care to be honest. Is it morally right? I don't know. Everyone needs to decide that for themselves. It's not my job to answer that question for you, and it's not your job to answer it for me. This comes back to simply respecting other peoples right to make their own decisions.

    I'll admit that I personally can't "justify" eating meat on a philosophical level. If I had no other food options I'd happily kill an animal myself and eat it, because that would be a case of need. Since I do not need meat in the society I live in I do wonder if I am behaving ethically in supporting the meat industry. I used to tell myself that I'm not killing the animal so I'm not to "blame". Eventually I came to believe that's a bullshit argument. Someone out there is killing animals because he/she knows that I will buy it if they do. That puts the blood on my hands. This bothers me intellectually, because I've sort of reached the conclusion that I should give up meat. But emotionally I just don't seem to actually care. I like eating meat and don't intend to stop. So essentially I've reached the conclusion that I should care but I've accepted that I just don't. Most importantly of all though, I do not feel that everyone else should reach the same conclusions. It has to be whatever feels right to you.

    Anyone like Star Trek? An interesting fact from Star Trek is that Vulcans do not eat meat. They consider it to be barbaric. I would not be surprised to see most humans eventually come to this conclusion, because I do believe that it is somewhat illogical to kill animals and devour their flesh when we don't need to. Of course, that's only illogical if you also believe that all life has value. If you think that a cow only exists for our benefit then you won't ever reach this same conclusion.

    If I was raised in a society where vegetarianism was more common I'd perhaps have become one. But, as it is now, I only think that eating meat is wrong. I don't feel that it's wrong. I can't explain that anymore clearly, and hopefully most people will understand what I mean.

    I should note that I have a tendency to think far too much, and I waste a lot of time analyzing issues like this in my head for no real purpose. Ah well, I get a kick out of it.

    By the way, my wife switched to buying only organic food whenever possible, and buying only animal products that were certified as cruelty free or whatever it's called. I make some degree of effort to do the same thing when money allows. My wife has now become a vegetarian, for a mix of both practical and personal reasons. I can say that she's become a lot healthier and lost an amazing amount of weight in a short time. In large part I would say that this is because she no longer is eating fast food, so it's not that going vegetarian has inherently made her healthier, it's just taken away many of the extremely unhealthy options. She also tried being vegan, though she found that so impractical that she only attempts a vegan diet when eating at home.

    At this time I have no plans to follow her down that path. If I do try it would only be as a temporary measure to lose weight in the same way she has done.

    There, I tried to give you a really detailed and respectful answer to your initial post. I hope you might consider being less defensive here from now on.

    Oh, and by the way, I agree with you that male vegetarians probably get more shit than female vegetarians. Eating meat is often considered a masculine trait. A man that chooses to not eat meat may seem less of a man to certain people. But then again, a man who chooses to not sleep around or not drink large amounts of alcohol may also be considered less of a man. The point is to ignore the opinions of idiots.

    You know, I do have to spoil this a little by saying that the only male vegetarian I know later decided he is also a homosexual. You're not a homo, are you?

    I'm kidding. Relax.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,548


    Default

    Lol
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •