Thread: 1st and 2nd wave emo

Default 1st and 2nd wave emo

Does anyone know any good 1st or 2nd wave emo bands? Any recommendations would be cool. Also, I've already been told that Mineral is worth a listen, but I can't find them on limewire for some reason. Anyone have any Mineral to upload?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate, and Texas is the Reason are usually considered the three best or most important of that era. My personal favorite of the three is Rites of Spring.

I also really like Autoclave, a pretty obscure all-girl band from that era. Really, a good starting point is to look at a lot of the bands on Discord Records from that time period, as that was where most of it really got started.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

1st wave emo was a kind of punk rock dedicated to more emotional stuff, it was an intelligent thing and it was far from trendy and popular thing which is today's 2nd wave emo. Am I right? I didn't investigate much emo thing that's why I might be wrong.

Try a band named Dover, they are pretty much emotional, there was a thread about that band.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

Pre-Happy Hollow Cursive, At the Drive-In, Sunny day Real Estate, etc.

Interesting, Mark Prindle gets name dropped in the emo entry on wikipedia:

The difficulty in defining "emo" as a genre may have started at the very beginning. In a 2003 interview by Mark Prindle, Guy Picciotto of Fugazi and Rites of Spring was asked how he felt about "being the creator of the emo genre." He responded:

I don't recognize that attribution. I've never recognized "emo" as a genre of music. I always thought it was the most retarded term ever. I know there is this generic commonplace that every band that gets labeled with that term hates it. They feel scandalized by it. But honestly, I just thought that all the bands I played in were punk rock bands. The reason I think it's so stupid is that - what, like the Bad Brains weren't emotional? What - they were robots or something? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Does Jawbreaker count? Because if they do I recommend them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Yeah, I'd say Fugazi is the only one I find remotely interesting from that era, even though I should like others.

Jawbreaker is good, but I don't think they count. Though you should check them out anyway.

Jawbreaker counts, and Fugazi don't really fit squarely into any genre including emo, though they were a huge influence over the emo scene and have some stuff that would qualify and are still worth checking out.