Thread: Thibault and the Delay

Default Thibault and the Delay

Hey all, just putting this in a different thread than my other music because it's different. It's a video. I hope that passes the new thread reason scrutiny.

Anyway, as some of you might (or might not) know, I've had a hell of a time trying to record any live instruments with audio quality that I can actually live with. So I decided to go with the next best thing.

Included here is a video link (I used youtube, yep) to me playing along with myself. I've played these things by myself at one time or another, but all the fills are different - so I guess it's semi-improvised.

What makes this special, you ask? Well, as good a question as that is, the answer is even BETTER. That's right, BETTER. Better is a six letter word. Delay is not a six letter word, but sometimes they're synonymous, like right now. I'm playing along with a full 4-second delay, and since I'm playing at 120bpm that means - you guessed it - I'm playing all of the fills over what I played 2 measures ago! It's really pretty great. Except that you have to listen to everything twice.

Well, it's not that great, but it does make for some interesting fills and transitions and a few sloppy moments (but we all love it sloppy cause we're punks, right?)

So enjoy and please give me les comments (which is French for "comments").

Well, try it anyway.

Thibault and the Delay
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Wow. That was awesome. I would have never thought of this, mainly because I have a hard enough time playing power chords, but this was fun to watch. Hmm, I might try it later today. And just wondering, what pickups are you using?
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Wow. That was awesome. I would have never thought of this, mainly because I have a hard enough time playing power chords, but this was fun to watch. Hmm, I might try it later today. And just wondering, what pickups are you using?
    I'm using the stock humbucker bridge pickups on my guitar, which is a PRS SE Custom I bought two years ago.

Part of the trick for me, really, is to make the delay small (4 or 5 seconds at most) so that chord changes aren't too complex - I can't keep up with long runs of 4 or 5 chords and stay exactly in time without a metronome. There's always some sort of minor fluctuation in timing that fucks me up. On this, even if I make a mistake (which I made several of, actually) I can come back in and reset, sort of.

thats a really cool idea. It sounded really well put together. I dug it. definitely could see it being useful live.

Love it! Way to be.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Wow, gotta say that was pretty badass. I loved those harmonized bends in the middle. Always wanted to try something like that but my shitty multi fx unit can't really manage it.

PS: Real men play with the guitar on their left knee.
    Last edited by Jebus; 08-30-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    Wow, gotta say that was pretty badass. I loved those harmonized bends in the middle. Always wanted to try something like that but my shitty multi fx unit can't really manage it.

PS: Real men play with the guitar on their left knee.
    I actually originally played the two bits separately, but then I figured that an E was in both the A5 and E5 chords I played during the main bit so I could just transition like that, and it worked out pretty well.