Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I wanna buy an el-guitar...

Default I think I wanna buy an el-guitar...

Hey guys and girls!

I just come over this thought about buying an el-guitar. It sure gonna cost me, but it would be damn fun. I have this acoustic guitar, but I really can't play: I can't any chords or something, I've just seen some clips on youtube and watched and learn by that. So I can some melodies, but I actually can't play reall guitar. :-/

But as said, it would be cool to have an el-guitar and learned playing. So if anyone just wanna help me, like saying something about good or bad guitars, learning-metodes or what ever, I would be thankfull. I haven't looked at any guitars or something yet, don't have a clue about price or something.
    Ståle / Norway / (time to get back)
    joined 03-29-2008 with the account manic subsida.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Hey, man. It's time to take that step! I was playing acoustic for about three years before I bought my first electric. How long have you been playing?

Okay, I would suggest spending as much as you can (this is in general, as there are some guitars that are much better than others twice its price). If you plan on not having to buy another one soon, I'd also suggest saving up to get a better one. How much do you have to spend?
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Best quality to price ratio = Ibanez. Seriously, if you do buy one, try to find a lower priced Ibanez, it'll still be a really good guitar. Unless you don't like thin necks, although I find them easier to learn on. If you've got an expandable budget, you might even be able to buy a RG. Mine was $435.

Also, Squier = Bad. I can't say much about Epiphone, except for the acoustic I have from them is good. And I haven't really tried other brands, but there is other good ones.
    Check out my music -> Random Goods

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Hey, man. It's time to take that step! I was playing acoustic for about three years before I bought my first electric. How long have you been playing?

Okay, I would suggest spending as much as you can (this is in general, as there are some guitars that are much better than others twice its price). If you plan on not having to buy another one soon, I'd also suggest saving up to get a better one. How much do you have to spend?
    Wow, three years. Well, I have just played half a year maybe, and can't really play. I'm just watching and learning by youtube-videos. :P

But how is it about learning on acoustic and el-guitar? Is it big differences, or is the learning, chords and stuff the same? Should I like learn to play for real on my acoustic before I buy and el-guitar? YES, I'M A NOOB AT THIS!

Well, I really don't know how much it would cost. How much is it for those guitars? Cheapest to the most expencive? And yeah, I'm gonna check out a little on the internett about this, but would be great if some would give some advice.

Another thing, and LISTEN, because I didn't listen when someone (from the BBS, no less) told me: Do not buy a Behringer guitar. They are moving up in their amp department, and I hear the mixers are ace for the price, but bypass their axes.

EDIT: To your last questions...to me, electric was much easier for chords and, well, pretty much everything because the strings are thinner, and the...body?...is not as wide on an electric. The cheapest I've seen was about 80 bucks (a Behringer, once again, don't go there) and the most expensive I've seen was around $5,000, but I'm sure they go higher. This is the one I have now, and the one I'm saving for next.
    Last edited by randman21; 08-30-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    My myoosik:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1234 View Post
    Best quality to price ratio = Ibanez. Seriously, if you do buy one, try to find a lower priced Ibanez, it'll still be a really good guitar. Unless you don't like thin necks, although I find them easier to learn on. If you've got an expandable budget, you might even be able to buy a RG. Mine was $435.

Also, Squier = Bad. I can't say much about Epiphone, except for the acoustic I have from them is good. And I haven't really tried other brands, but there is other good ones.
    Aha. Thanks. The only mark I've heard about is Ibanez, and I have just heard good things about it. $435? That would be around 2.000 norwegian "kroner". Hmm. That's expencive, isn't it? :/

And what about amp's? I must have that right? Yeah, thought so.

Another thing, and LISTEN, because I didn't listen when someone (from the BBS, no less) told me: Do not buy a Behringer guitar. They are moving up in their amp department, and I hear the mixers are ace for the price, but bypass their axes.
    I'll remember that one, thanks.

Just in case you missed the edit above, check it out.

Hehe, yep. You need an amp. I think the general guideline is to keep it under 50 watts, since you wouldn't be playing on stage anyway. I can't recommend any of these except the Fender Frontman 35R (or something like that), which was my first amp. Even that was too much power for me, as I never turned it up past 3. But I loved it. I wish I'd seen this when I first started. But basically, just shop around and see what you can find.
    My myoosik:

For a beginner guitar, you're going to be looking for a good quality-price ratio, I guess.

I've never personally liked Ibanez guitars because I can't seem to get any sort of tonal range out of them - they pretty much just always sound the same. Plus in price-quality there are much better beginner guitars out there.

Someone else can tell you about the cheaper Squier and/or Epiphone stuff - I never found one I liked, even as a beginner.

My first two guitars were actually Yamahas - first came the PAC112, which is a great beginner guitar. You won't spend too much if you don't end up playing a ton, but it still has the versatility and sound you need to be able to experiment a little, and the quality to not sound terrible no matter what you play (some beginner guitars just sound shit no matter what). I eventually moved up to a PAC412V, which is the same, only much better in every way imaginable.

The necks are fairly thin if you're not comfortable with rounder, thicker ones, but not so thin that you feel like you're about to snap it in half.

Once I got comfortable with guitar playing and knew I'd stick with it, I invested more funds and got myself a PRS SE Custom, which is my current guitar (I sold my previous ones), but I never regretted my choice of starting with a Yamaha. It is absolutely the first brand that comes to mind for me when recommending electric guitars to beginners.

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/...ifications.jsp

That's a rundown of one of the PAC112 models.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

EDIT: To your last questions...to me, electric was much easier for chords and, well, pretty much everything because the strings are thinner, and the...body?...is not as wide on an electric. The cheapest I've seen was about 80 bucks (a Behringer, once again, don't go there) and the most expensive I've seen was around $5,000, but I'm sure they go higher. This is the one I have now, and the one I'm saving for next.
    I understand. And hey, I'm a noob, but for example a "C Major" chord is the same on el- and acoustic-guitar, right? It's all the same, it's just a bit easier to learn it on el because it's thinner as you say?

Hahah, $5,000. Yeah...
    Your guitar looked nice. And just $200? Is that a good price for a good guitar?

Amp. As higher watt it is, louder sound it gets, right? And how much is a normal price for that, and which is good ones? As you said, I'm not gonna play on a stage (not for now xD), but in my room which isn't that kinda big. But it's not very small, just a normall room.

I understand if you guys don't wanna answer me, 'caus I'm asking quite many noob-questions.

Also, please do me a personal favor and refer to it as an electric guitar.

El-guitar sounds like some messed up Superman guitar.

Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.