Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music taste 'linked' to personality

Default Music taste 'linked' to personality

I found this today ... what is your opinion?

A study by a psychology professor has found links between personality and music taste.
    The Heriot-Watt university professor Adrian North said: "We have always suspected a link between music taste and personality. This is the first time that we've been able to look at it in real detail. No-one has ever done this on this scale before.
    "People do actually define themselves through music and relate to other people through it but we haven't known in detail how music is connected to identity."
    According to the study heavy metal fans are gentle, indie music listeners lack self-esteem and lovers of pop music are uncreative.
    He found that country and western fans are hard-working, rap fans outgoing and jazz and classical music supporters are innovative and bursting with self-confidence.
    Contrary to the stereotype, heavy metal fans are gentle and at ease with themselves but they tend not to be hardworking.
    Those who listen to heavy metal and classical music share character traits of being creative, at ease and introverted.
    But classical music fans have high self-esteem while heavy rock fans lack self-belief.
    More than 36,000 people around the globe took part in the survey, the biggest of its type ever conducted.
    They were asked to rate 104 musical styles in the study and were also questioned on aspects of their personality.

Exclamation

i listen to punk, industrial, synthpop, indie, garage, classical, rap, reggae AND country. what does that make me?

When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

Yeah, seriously, I listen to nearly every genre of music, and two of them in that study completely negate each other (indie rock and jazz).

Psychology is such a bullshit science. It's interesting as hell, but it's complete shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

i listen to punk, industrial, synthpop, indie, garage, classical, rap, reggae AND country. what does that make me?
    a strawberry bitchcake?

*a major facepalm*

Nothing more to say.

i guess this study was more aimed at those who mostly focus on one genre
    we can't help it that members of the female species brains suddenly dissappear when talking on the phone
    My Covers:
    Defy You
    Dirty Magic (acoustic)
    TKAA (acoustic cover)

Covers I helped with:
    RAFRAG

Video from The Offspring Live in Charlotte:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmakOxIcfM

i saw this. i thought it was bollocks.
    My Nothingtown Acoustic Cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9JblnThVk

Obviously there is some form of connection between taste in music and personality. But this is soooo far from being accurate.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I do find that people who say things like "I LISTEN TO EVERYTHING...EXCEPT COUNTRY AND RAP" usually don't have personalities, so maybe there is some truth to this.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    Obviously there is some form of connection between taste in music and personality. But this is soooo far from being accurate.
    I think lyrics have something to do with it. In a lot of genres, there are similar beliefs/values/themes present in the lyrics of many artists in that genre. So people who relate to the lyrics can more easily relate to that genre. I think it makes more sense when you take that into account.