Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omg! I Love My Dorm!

Default Omg! I Love My Dorm!

So, its 12:30 and there is a knock on our door. I open it to my friends from up the hall wearing nothing but towels with cards taped to their chests (its two guys)

Come to find out, the made a bet with some girls on our hall. They lost playing spades 5 times in a row and their punishment was that they had to go to every room on our hall and knock to make sure that everyone got to see their punishment. It was really weird. And that just totally made my day.
    we can't help it that members of the female species brains suddenly dissappear when talking on the phone
    My Covers:
    Defy You
    Dirty Magic (acoustic)
    TKAA (acoustic cover)

Covers I helped with:
    RAFRAG

Video from The Offspring Live in Charlotte:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmakOxIcfM

Hahaha thats fucking awesome! Weird, but awesome.
    Check out my music -> Random Goods

Haha, residence is always fun. I just hope you don't get as many 4am fire alarms as I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Lucky!

The coolest thing that has happened in my wing of my dorm so far is that someone stole a drawing of a dead fetus that one kid had on his door, along with the rest of his "art". Actually, that was pretty awesome.

Res was awesome. Some highlights:

-two friends showing up at the door with their faces smothered in peanut butter
    -snowman in the hallway
    -mudsliding in the quad, Woodstock style
    -cementing somebody's door shut
    -pig loose in the dorm
    -stealing furniture from the lounges for bedrooms
    -midnight hide 'n' seek
    -finding a shopping cart up in a tree like 15-20 m high
    -shaving mohawks on everyone
    -midnight brownies
    -obviously parties, drinking, etc

I love res shenanigans, some of mine entailed...

-covering a bathroom with purple dye
    -stealing furniture from the caf for peoples rooms
    -watching friends pass out in bathrooms/hallways
    -vomiting in an elevator on the way to class after a night of binge drinking (i'm not really setting the best example here, am i?)
    -waking up in random peoples rooms, not quite knowing how i ended up there.
    -awesome naps
    -forming an "air band", and then blasting the Ramones at 3am in the morning.
    -the supposedly "cool" yet terribly awkward/hilarious sex talk, that was accompanied with wooden dildos and condoms.. (you get the picture)
    -feeling as if my 1230 lectures were “too early”
    -My don (upper year student who lived with us) had this awesome policy of when you knocked on her door, she held out two baskets 1 with condoms, the other with candy and then shut her eyes.
    -Century Club and countless flip cup tournaments with my floor
    -and on a more serious note, sitting alone in my room, doing assigned readings that have still affected my life today.

Edit: i have my first class of the Semester tomorrow at 10am, i best get to bed.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 09-08-2008 at 08:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I'm a privacy whore so the idea of living in a dorm never really sat well with me. I mean, it sounds like an experience that I'd like to have maybe if I had a single room complete with bathroom and whatnot. Fun fact: I'm kind of socially awkward until I find myself comfortable in a situation. I've lived in Iowa City for a little over a year now and haven't really developed any relationships that I think will stand the test of time. I'm terrible at mingling and use headphones to shut myself off from human interaction in transit (I hate it when the IC homeless ask me for money because a lot of them are fucking dickholes about it).

PS: Look at me being all serious posting from my couch on my MacBook. LIFEIZPAINborn2die.
    We're two parties.
    Two parties ending.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Haha, residence is always fun. I just hope you don't get as many 4am fire alarms as I did.
    We had a fire alarm go off at 2:30am during the dead of winter on possibly the worst day. It was -20 degrees F with a windchill approaching -35 degrees F.

Poor people were standing outside in their pj's in groups resembling herds of penguins.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

With regard to relationships standing the test of time:

I feel like the more I move around and the more people around me move around, relationships become more expendable. It's hard to make "lifelong" friends. I've made tons of great friends over the years, but as soon as one of us moves on, we will probably never talk to each other again. It's kinda depressing, but I've started to accept it. One of my only constants is family. And another, hilariously enough, are my online contacts, because even if we were never necessarily friends on the same level, we continue to interact. So I guess my point is that it's not necessarily a problem with the relationships themselves, it's just the nature of moving around at this stage in life. Although I'll admit that some people seem to make "lifelong" friends no matter where they go, so maybe it is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    With regard to relationships standing the test of time:

I feel like the more I move around and the more people around me move around, relationships become more expendable. It's hard to make "lifelong" friends. I've made tons of great friends over the years, but as soon as one of us moves on, we will probably never talk to each other again. It's kinda depressing, but I've started to accept it. One of my only constants is family. And another, hilariously enough, are my online contacts, because even if we were never necessarily friends on the same level, we continue to interact. So I guess my point is that it's not necessarily a problem with the relationships themselves, it's just the nature of moving around at this stage in life. Although I'll admit that some people seem to make "lifelong" friends no matter where they go, so maybe it is me.
    I'd have to agree with that assessment. I talk to very few people from anywhere I've lived before, and doubt I'll talk to these people all that much when I'm gone - because I already know I will be gone sooner or later.

As for residence life, there's no way to describe some of the things I did my first year. But it's still a fun experience.
    Last edited by T-6005; 09-08-2008 at 07:50 AM.