Thread: Any idea on how to fix this?

Default Any idea on how to fix this?

This may not really belong in Your Band, but it's the best for it. I'm in the process of painting my Tele's pickguard...

It was going fine until I started on the clear coats. When I spray on a layer of clear coat, it almost looks like condensation more than a solid layer. And when it dries, it's still a little tacky. My dad said it's too humid to do it, but that doesn't work because was doing the red and silver paint the same day. I've done two coats now, and I'm still getting this problem. Is there any way to fix it? I'm doing the painting outside if it makes a difference.
    Check out my music -> Random Goods

Ok, so I had a control item (an old back plate for a Strat) that I had been doing the same thing to as the pickguard. I got some car wax, and tried it on the control. It worked perfectly, it got shinier, and it was smooth. So then I tried it on the pickguard. What did it do? Smudged everything, and now I have to restart the entire thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1234 View Post
    This may not really belong in Your Band, but it's the best for it. I'm in the process of painting my Tele's pickguard...

It was going fine until I started on the clear coats. When I spray on a layer of clear coat, it almost looks like condensation more than a solid layer. And when it dries, it's still a little tacky. My dad said it's too humid to do it, but that doesn't work because was doing the red and silver paint the same day. I've done two coats now, and I'm still getting this problem. Is there any way to fix it? I'm doing the painting outside if it makes a difference.
    clear coats are a different kind of paint than colored spray paint. sand it down and wait for the humidity to drop. spray paint is finicky about the weather. i spent an entire year in highschool doing spray paint in art. also do it in a place where there isn't a lot of wind, that way the coat will be more even. I don't use clear coats most of the time because they can be a pain in the ass.

or you could try a polyeurothane clear coat. you will have to do it with a brush, but its less finicky.

and, what the fuck kind of spray paint are you using that it smears???
    we can't help it that members of the female species brains suddenly dissappear when talking on the phone
    My Covers:
    Defy You
    Dirty Magic (acoustic)
    TKAA (acoustic cover)

Covers I helped with:
    RAFRAG

Video from The Offspring Live in Charlotte:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmakOxIcfM

Krylon spray. I think that the wax took off all the clear coat. I think I'll go try my luck right now, since I've already had too restart. No clear coat either this time, just wax, because the paint has dried completely smooth now so it won't smear I don't think.

wait... so why are you waxing it?
    we can't help it that members of the female species brains suddenly dissappear when talking on the phone
    My Covers:
    Defy You
    Dirty Magic (acoustic)
    TKAA (acoustic cover)

Covers I helped with:
    RAFRAG

I just went and sprayed both the pickguards (I found that I have two tele PG's, so I decided to do both. Both have perfectly even coats. But it's weird, cause it had started to rain right as I started spraying (not enough to fuck up the paint at that point).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1234 View Post
    I just went and sprayed both the pickguards (I found that I have two tele PG's, so I decided to do both. Both have perfectly even coats. But it's weird, cause it had started to rain right as I started spraying (not enough to fuck up the paint at that point).
    man... that light kind of misty rain? I had that kind of rain permanently fuck up one of the paintings i was working on, and i didn't have time to start over.
    My Covers:
    Defy You
    Dirty Magic (acoustic)
    TKAA (acoustic cover)

Covers I helped with:
    RAFRAG

No, real rain. It was just at the point where you're still thinking "Is it raining?"