Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Official Greenday Thread

I'm not as critical of album art in general, so I don't mind this one so much. The song in the trailer sounds exactly like that Franz Ferdinand one to me, but I hope the rest of the album doesn't tread too closely to other songs like other bands have been doing lately.

I'm already looking forward to what they can do next, which is much more than I can say of how I felt about their last album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Sounds different to what I thought they might make...

Heh, reading through this thread I must be one of the few who likes old and new Green Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    As douchey and pretentious as they have become, they really still sound like good 'ol Green Day to me, except they're talking about… well, douchey and pretentious things here lately. I have no doubt all three of these records will be catchy as hell, quality pop punk. If anyone honestly expects or has ever expected anything different from Green Day, something got lost in translation somewhere along the way.
    Up through Nimrod, this was true. Then Warning came, and it was something different, in a very good way. That album is not just pop punk. It's their best album, and on an objective level, it's better than anything the Offspring has done. But then after that album, things just got weird. The last two albums have not been pop punk, save for a handful of songs. They've been experimenting a lot, which would be cool (Warning was rather experimental), but the problem is that they're incredibly douchy experiments. I'm kinda iffy on American Idiot (I never listen to it, but I don't hate it... it does have a few really good songs), but I completely dislike 21st Century Breakdown. I've tried to listen to it several times, and I just could never make it through the entire album. It definitely doesn't sound like the Green Day I used to know, who delivered great, solid pop punk.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Heh, the trailer music is actually good. I'm not their big fan, but I have some of their music saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregmau5 View Post
    Why the hell is this stickied?
    i have no idea it kind of makes offspring look like a joke that this thread has been stickied since 2004

The album art is awful, but it kind of signifies that maybe this album is going to be lighter and more fun, which is definitely a nice change of pace from the last few. The music itself isn't great, but I wouldn't mind a Green Day album that's more influenced by garage rock/The Kinks than influenced by stadium rock like the last two. The Foxboro Hot Tubs album, for example, wasn't amazing but it was really fun.

And doing a trailer for the album isn't really that douchey. Tons of bands do it, and any band that does sneak peaks on Youtube *cough*the Offspring*cough* is doing the exact same thing. It's just viral marketing for an album, which is necessary in today's music industry. It's also not that different from when bands used to have commercials for albums on MTV and Fuse. I dunno if that still happens, but it definitely used to be the norm.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

OH Love!

What a sack of dull shite!! My ladyfriend is a huge Green Day fan, which kinda makes interested in new Green Day stuff by default, but this song is thirty seconds of music extended for 5 minutes. I wouldn't head to a party listening to it for fear that i may die at the wheel. (this is based on the bands interpritation that it's the "going to a party album")
    "Hey, I know you're upset, but if you ever mention my mother's loins or their frothiness to me again, I don't know what I'll do ... but it will be bad. Now let's go bury this dead hooker."

I'm listening to Oh Love right now. I like the opening guitar riff - starts off with promise. And then when Billie Jo starts singing, the suck starts. What happened to his enunciation? Sounds like he's trying to sound like Fall Out Boy. Then the chorus comes and the suck multiplies in a big mess of genericness and lame overproduction of a super basic recording. Enter generic, predictable bridge. I had hope for the solo... but it's mostly just the melody with a bit added.

Yeah. This song is actually worse than Days Go By (the song). Could they have possibly created anything blander?

Also, these guys keep shocking me with how arrogant they are.
    "
    Each of the three albums has a totally different vibe. "The first one is power pop," says Billie Joe Armstrong. "The second is more garage-y,
    Nuggets
    -type rock. And the third is supposed to be epic. With the first album you're getting in the mood to party. On the second one, you're at the party. And the third album you're cleaning up the mess.""
    Epic? Really? This is starting to sound like Tom Delonge regarding that mess that was Angels and Airwaves. I'm actually intending to listen to all three albums, just to see. If their description of these albums is anything like their description of American Idiot and 21st Century, I'm in for a lot of laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Thumbs down

Boorring...
    Oh Love wasn't bad, it just lacked anything to make it good in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

Lots of musicians call their music epic. It's an overused word but you're being hyperbolic.

The song itself is okay. Nothing super special, but I like the style for the band. It reminds me a lot of Warning but with better production, which I'm okay with and is more or less what I've wanted from a Green Day album since...Warning. If it's one of the weaker songs on the album, which their singles have been off the past few albums, then this is a good sign.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".