Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast

Thread: Second Official Greenday Thread

I had all the deluxe versions on pre-order for the trilogy. I guess you could say I'm a fan. Anyways, it's hard to say which is my favorite, but I'll say ¡Uno! simply because it's the easiest listening all the way through. A very energetic album that never loses its steam. It's a very energetic album, reminiscent of their material from '94 to '97, but still dares to try something new, like "Kill the DJ," experimenting with dance-punk. All the singles were strong, right up to "Let Yourself Go," and there's still more memorable cuts to be found on the album ("Angel Blue" is a personal favorite).

The rest of the albums still have many killer cuts, but offers a more uneasy listening experience to those unfamiliar with the band. The rap-crossover track, "Night Life" on ¡Dos! is an example of this (though you cannot deny the killer bassline). ¡Tré! is a close second for me when it comes to albums, it has a grander feel to it, and brings the series to a satisfying conclusion. Some of my other favorites from the series are "Lazy Bones" from ¡Dos! and "Missing You" and "Dirty Rotten Bastards" from ¡Tré!

I saw them live on April Fool's Day, and it was a pretty kickass show. No surprises, and surprisingly they didn't perform many of the songs from the new trilogy, but they still put on a great show.

Also, is it too much to put a space between Green and Day?

By the way, have the bands ever formally made contact? The Offspring used to mention Green Day a lot in the mid-90s, but lately I haven't heard anything.

In all early interviews, it would seem that Dexter was a fan of Green Day; The Offspring was second only to Green Day when it came to punk bands that made it to mainstream in '94. He said he enjoyed the change to punk rock on the radio as opposed to the usual pop. Heck, they even covered Basket Case in concert. I wonder how Green Day views The Offspring's music.

Both bands have had a similar history, and their first connection was contributing tracks to The Big One way back in 1991. Though they started with very different brands of punk at the beginning, they've both seemed to embrace the more pop side of punk in recent years. I've found that interesting.

I checked out all three albums, and I think I'm with jacknife. I think I'm just kinda over this band. The albums weren't bad at all, and there are definitely some pretty solid tracks in the mix... but I haven't felt the urge to listen again and again. Uno got maybe four listens total, and the other two each got one or two listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Ah, remember when Greenday was fun and not at all eye-roll-worthy? I miss that, though by comparison I do appreciate that The Offspring aged gracefully. Its gone full circle now where pretty much no one (my age, everyone born after 1990 can suck a lemon), if I put Americana on at a party most people know the words to the singles. Man that album was good.

This has been another session of Per expressing vague thoughts on 90s rock. Hey Llamas, remember Stroke9? Just kidding, I know you do. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Ah, remember when Greenday was fun and not at all eye-roll-worthy? I miss that, though by comparison I do appreciate that The Offspring aged gracefully. Its gone full circle now where pretty much no one (my age, everyone born after 1990 can suck a lemon), if I put Americana on at a party most people know the words to the singles. Man that album was good.
    Much truth in this, minus the fact that the Offspring wrote and released "Cruisin California" and tried to get noticed again with it. But at least they haven't been trying to write shitty "rock operas" and triple albums.

This has been another session of Per expressing vague thoughts on 90s rock. Hey Llamas, remember Stroke9? Just kidding, I know you do. <3
    Lololol, they're the band that did that "Backpack" song, weren't they?? I'm pretty sure my best friend in college and I rocked that shit in a karaoke bar like 5 years ago. Fuck yeah 90s rock.

Don't wanna tango with you!

Aw shit, that brought it all back. Don't wanna talk about it, I say why not, don't wanna think about it, I say there's got to be some good reason for your little black backpack, upsmack, turn around he's on his back and! Don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him, I think I'm gonna bash his head in... and this shouldn't concern you, except that just don't expect to get your little black backpack back.

I'm too lazy to look it up and see how accurate that is, but I have this feeling that I'm pretty fucking awesome.

I think thats near 100%. Though I maintain that its "Don't wanna tango with you, I'd rather tangle with him"

But maybe I'm just hoping the lyrics were EVEN MORE clever than they already are. (That really is one of the better choruses out there)

Also, this was totally one of my first albums, along with a BareNakedLadies one with scissors. You know, the one with that amazing single.

Its been one week since you looked at me, dropped your eyes to the side and said I'm sorry.

Apparently I liked it when similar sounding words were stuck next to each other (still do, one of the best Danish lyrics goes):
    Nu sidder Madsens i Assens og tænker, for tanker kan ikke lægges i lænker.

Now I'm wondering if I should translate that or if it'd be funner to see if you can decode it (Madsens is a last name, Assens is a town). Oh and these lyrics are cheasy, but the band is very tongue-in-cheek so don't let that put you off.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post

Self-Esteem and The Kids Are Alright are pretty popular here still, and people remember the lyrics if you put on the songs at a party.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Much truth in this, minus the fact that the Offspring wrote and released "Cruisin California" and tried to get noticed again with it. But at least they haven't been trying to write shitty "rock operas" and triple albums.
    I agree that the triple album was overkill. They could have made a really great record, because altogether on Uno, Dos and Tre, there are about 13 good songs. But no! Roll in the fillers!

What annoys me is when I saw them live this summer, they didn't play a single of the 13 good songs, only all the bad.
    Last edited by RageAndLov; 09-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Well the Kids Aren't Alright was an Americana single.

I don't think anyone in my social circle would recognize Self-esteem or even Come Out and Play. Danish radio has always kinda sucked, and we're too densely populated to be as weird as you Norwegians (we still love you though.)

Oh and you once mentioned you were embarrassed about your username. 2 things:
    My first email address (anno 2000) was jackoff@limpbizkit.com

My little brother's username online for the longest time was IceKing (so good. Especially cause the 50 shades of grey author originally posted her fanfic under the username IceQueen's Snowdragon.)

Yeah, I had a limpbizkit.com email addy, I was fucking badass. Afterwards I was wheelchairman@fatbabies.com
    I loved that email.