Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Official Greenday Thread

Apologies in advance for anyone who gets pissed by this posting, as I know there's a lot of Green Day hate floating around here....not stirring the pot or anything, just...well, I fuckin' LOVE me some Green Day~

Ah, well, maybe it's just because I'm Gay For Green Day in a HUGE way, but I love this album. I love every song off of it in its own way. The only problem I have with any of it is that there is a lot of artificial song extention; example, Static Age. The chorus repeats something like 5 or 6 times on the outro. The last time I heard a song repeat the chorus that many times was Fall Out Boy's remix of Sugar, We're Going Down. My BIGGEST pet peeve in music by far is shit that repeats too much.

But on a lighter note....even Know Your Enemy turned me off at first. I heard it and thought, "Oh, shit, this is gonna be Green Day's Afterwords, this is gonna be their "we're officially shitty pop now" album. But then I got the album, forced myself to listen to it with an open mind, and I realized, it's actually pretty damn good. If you don't go in with any expectations of what it's "supposed" to be, and just try to enjoy it for what it actually IS (which is a damn fine pop album), then I don't think it's too hard to see why this album is at least better than most contemporary pop albums, if not pretty damn good in its own right. Know Your Enemy comes across as too long and repetitive when you listen to it by itself....but if you listen to it as the second song on 21CBD, it suddenly just...I dunno, "fits." I can't not like it now, somehow.

A lot of my friends don't care for it because of the reasons mentioned here, such that it's not really punk rock, or it's too epic, but to me that's always been the charm of Green Day. When I want something more hardcore, I turn to like Bad Religion; when I want some catchy pop/punk/rock, I go to Green Day, and they've never disappointed me in that respect. This album is no different Also, I'd rather Green Day try to do something different and maybe fail (which I don't think they did here, but given that many seem to think just that), than to just rehash the same tired hardcore or punk sounds that have been floating around the "punk" scene in the past 5-10 years or so. That gives their albums this little bit of soul that most "ambitious" albums lack, like, at least I know they're trying to be original. Ya know?

P.S. I love to turn off all the lights and sit alone in my room, playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne with the sound turned all the way down, with this album blaring instead. It just fits the atmosphere....so well....

P.P.S.

On a side note, I know Jason White isn't an official member of the band, but I think he should get some recognition because he seems to do more work on guitar than Billie Joe. Jason handles most of the solos at concerts and starts many of the songs himself.

From what I can tell, Jason White seems to be Green Day's version of Brian Baker, and Billie Joe is like their Brett Gurewitz. And by that of course I mean, Billie Joe writes and records on the albums, whereas Jason White plays the extra stuff live so Billie can play frontman a little more.
    Last edited by Static_Martyr; 05-23-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    White isn't involved with the writing process, at all.

For a non-member he still receives a fair amount of recognition; i mean, he was in one of their music videos.
    He's in a couple actually. It's hard to spot him because he was much younger, but he made a brief appearance in the "When I Come Around" video. He's the guy that's making out with a chick.

I haven't listened to the album before today, even though I've had it some days.
    I liked it, it is a good album. 21CB goes in the same lines as AI but I don't think it is as good as American Idiot, but not very far away from it.
    This album is supposed to be a concept album/rock opera, but I can't really see that. If I wouldn't be told that it was supposed to be a concept album and Christian and Gloria weren't mentioned several times, I would not know it was supposed to be one. The lyrics are far too vague, and I have seen on the net that many others share this feeling.
    Musicially 21CB is perhaps the most poppiest album yet by Green Day, but that doesn't make the album less greater. It is a great rock album with some pop elements here and there.
    I'd say 8.5/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesMeNowhere28 View Post
    Green Day pulled a bit of a surprise on their Letterman appearance. I was expecting to hear them play Know Your Enemy or 21 Guns, but they played East Jesus Nowhere instead.

On a side note, I know Jason White isn't an official member of the band, but I think he should get some recognition because he seems to do more work on guitar than Billie Joe. Jason handles most of the solos at concerts and starts many of the songs himself.
    LOL, I DVR'd the Letterman appearance and was talking to my friend before I watched about how i would riot if it was Know Your Enemy, but then I thought, "Hey, Letterman could pulll some strings and get them to play something else," and what do ya know, they one of my favorite songs on the record (who am I kidding, I love the whole thing )

This album is supposed to be a concept album/rock opera, but I can't really see that. If I wouldn't be told that it was supposed to be a concept album and Christian and Gloria weren't mentioned several times, I would not know it was supposed to be one. The lyrics are far too vague, and I have seen on the net that many others share this feeling.

From what I understand, it's supposed to be about a guy named Christian (who was raised conservative --- "born into Nixon, I was raised in Hell....praise liberty, the freedom to obey," etc.), and a girl named Gloria who's one of those extreme liberal-type conspiracy theorists (see: any line from Last of the American Girls, but also "you've found a home in all your scars and ammunition" from "Viva La Gloria" seems to hint at a person who isolates themselves from society because they've been hurt by it or lost faith in it). The two of them get to know each other under some circumstances, and find out that the things they've been taught about each other by the media and their families/communities are all pretty much bullshit, and so they chuck the whole concept and start looking for the real truth in reality instead of relying on the media and mass perception to dole it out to them.

If that is indeed correct (and I'm not sure it is, but it sounds like it could be), then I think it's a simple but great approach to a great concept. My band was working on something to that effect (not a concept album, but a song, anyway), and I really appreciate the message it sends. That's why I thought more "punx" kids would be into it, because of that message, but apparently it's still too poppy, and there are a lot of people who are still a little wary about pop.

P.S. Interestingly, this album isn't that much poppier than their earlier stuff; I'd say it's about 50% AI and 50% Nimrod, myself, because it's part experimental and part aggressive politico-pop-rock. Can't speak for anyone else, but my problem with the album was not its poppiness or its variation from their earlier material (I actually like that a lot~), but the repeaty-ness; the recycling of choruses in songs like "Know Your Enemy" and "Murder City" to artificially extend the song. It's like they deliberately aimed to make every song on the album go past 3 minutes, whether or not it could actually be done. I figured that would bother people more than the poppiness. Shows what I know
    "I'm sorry
    "

I don't mind the sound of this album, even if it is poppier. I like it!
    I'm kind of tired of the same song formula Green Day always uses: Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorusx2
    They've done that in twenty years, and their songs become very predictable when only doing that.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I started noticing a sort of repeating song pattern ever since I got ahold of Kerplunk a couple of years ago....0.0

And on a side note, RageAndLov, I just want to say that I absolutely adore your avatar
    "I'm sorry
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post

And on a side note, RageAndLov, I just want to say that I absolutely adore your avatar
    Thank you You're the first one that actually likes it, all the others hate it and call it gay.

I'm going to do it. I'm going to listen to the entire cd from front to back and I'll review it.

Keep in mind, the last time I could stomach Green Day was 2005. I literally have not listened to them in 4 years.

Here we go.

EDIT: Assuming I didn't delete it...
    Last edited by coke_a_holic; 06-01-2009 at 01:31 PM.

This is going to be fun!
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"