Page 100 of 134 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1333

Thread: What video games are you playing? pt. 2

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Forgot to mention that I played all classes through Act 1 of DA2. I played a mage through Act 2 I believe. I only finished the game with a rogue so far. I wanted to build the ultimate boss-killing character so I went heavy in Assassin and Duelist. My defense was outrageously high so I was only taking glancing hits from everything. I built up my HP pretty well so I could tank. And my damage output was so incredible I'm pretty sure my rogue was consistently doing as much damage as everyone else combined. Every hit was a crit, and my crit damage was like +200% or something crazy. I didn't bother with stealth at all, it seemed like a stealth rogue in DA2 was just a lot of wasted points. I kinda wish now I had tried him on a higher difficulty just to see how he stood up.
    Funny enough, I've made an archer with exactly the same purpose of being an ultimate boss killer. Since you can use that mark of death and heavy damage assassin's ability with ranged weapons it worked well. Can't say I didn't have any problem with some bosses though, while dealing tones of damage and staying out attack range there were still regular enemies periodically spawning and I still had to manage rest of party (I used that elf warrior, anders (supporter/healer) and Varric), don't know how easier bossfights were on normal, but I had to break a sweat sometimes. In fact, I haven't managed to kill that High Dragon or whatever boss which is the toughest in game because the amount of dragonlings he spawns is ridiculous and considering that each of them can knockdown.
    I remember you saying that you didn't like runes in DA2 because you never knew when you'd find a better one or a better weapon. But I thought they were great. Since you can just buy runes I always made sure I had some basic ones in every weapon I used. When I got a better weapon I'd just buy some more runes. And some stuff, like Varric's crossbow and all companion armor, you know you'll be using forever so put the best runes in there. I really could not figure out why anybody would dislike the rune system? The runes that added damage were amazing for my rogue. Put those on dual daggers that are attacking faster than the speed of sound and the bonus damage adds up like crazy. The defense runes were great too for any character who had a high percentage bonus to defense, like from a spell or sustained/passive ability, since the hard value of the rune's bonus would also get the percentage boost. I actually really enjoyed picking the optimal runes to capitalize on each character's strength. At first I tried to use runes to boost an area a character was lacking in, but eventually I realized you actually need to boost what they already excel at because you get the biggest bonus that way.
    Ah, then I must be just too greedy. But I didn't feel like runes I had would make a difference. /shrug
    Did you use a blood mage at all in DA2? The update ruined that. Used to be there were all these items that said "one health equals one additional mana" and they were changed to be something like every 3 points of health equal one extra mana. So my Merrill lost about half her spellcasting ability, which resulted in her consuming more health to cast spells, which resulted in constant death in anything other than the shortest little fights. And you don't even need a mage for those little easy fights so she became worthless. Which made her entire unique tree worthless and the entire character just no fun at all. I get that it was too powerful before but they nerfed it so hard it was then worthless. Just one extreme to the other.
    I gave her a brief test and I felt it wasn't worth it. Maybe I didn't get how to use the blood magic, but she seemed too pale comparing to the rest of party so I switched back to Anders.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

I just want to be able to gloat when you later agree that having a mage as your main is more enjoyable
    I'm pretty sure I agree with you already. The first time I played the game, I really tried to not control the other characters as much as possible, I just figured that's sort of how the game worked. You played you, the computer controlled the party. Evidently not. I've started kind of controlling everything during the battle scenes, and with the radial menu pausing it's come to feel like a more traditional RPG. Which I'm fucking loving. People think I'm insane, but I love the active time battles and menu choices and such of early Final Fantasy and the like. That style of game has completely disappeared this generation, and RPG's were always my favourite video game. Dragon Age is the only one I've enjoyed this generation of consoles, which is sad. But thank fuck for Dragon Age. Oh yeah, I went off on a tangent there, so I do agree with you, Mages are the most fun. I find myself starting almost all battles by switching instantly to Morrigan and making her to Cone of Cold followed by Fireball.

If you have access to another PS3 I belive you can actually transfer the file, you just can't copy it. Don't know if that helps.
    I figure I'm probably edging towards half way through the game now, so I guess I'll just finish this play through, and wipe the file and start my next play through on the new hard drive. Unless there's some kind of bonus to loading a completed save file?

Normal is good with this game.
    I've spent about 90% of time in normal, but I must admit I've had to switch to casual more than once. It's not usually when it's one strong foe, or enemy class in a dungeon, but sections where I am vastly out-numbered really get to me. The ambush when Logains assassin comes for you was too hard for me on normal because you're just surrounded and outnumbered. Yet on casual it was almost far too easy. I think a difficulty between normal and casual would be perfect. Some of the bosses on normal have absolutely cleaned the floor with me, but when I switch to casual I barely have to pay attention to the fight and win.

I was furious about having to buy a storage box. But I did it. I just didn't think I could keep going without it.
    Starting to see what you mean. I was in the mountain/ruin/temple thing behind Haven village last night and reached my full inventory, I ended up having to put a million things into the junk menu and destroying it because these weren't things that could be used, and there was no merchant around to sell it to. Frustrating.

So what's your favourite party configuration right now?
    I may have missed out on a character or something at this point, because I only have 5 at the minute, but I've gone for my main guy as the Rogue, Alistair as a bit of a tank/defender, Morrigan as Mage obviously, and doing most of the healing/support, and Zevran because his Assassination skills have proven to be much more useful than Sten's brute force.

Are you going sword and dagger or two daggers?
    Sword and Dagger definitely at the minute. Mostly because I'm cheap and generally relying on the weapons and items that I find rather than seeking them out and buying them. But I have the same sword and daggar configuration on both Elf Rogues at the minute, and they're definitely working out for me, some of the two handed talents are reaaaaally useful when combined and just deal a hell of a lot of damage. If you do Riposte which stuns and critical hits them, then follow up with Flurry it pretty much kills most enemies with just that. I also have a passive ability that makes sure when a Rogue attacks someone that's stunned that it will always do critical damage, so the Flurry does critical damage after Riposte, it's awesome.

Still really enjoying this game overall, the story is great, and I like how it at least *feels* as though I'm shaping it at my own choices. Atmosphere wise it really reminds me of Legacy of Kain Blood Omen. Which is one of my favourite games of all time. So that's good.
    Last edited by mrconeman; 09-05-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post

Unless there's some kind of bonus to loading a completed save file?
    Actually, there is. A fairly substantial one. All the specializations you unlock remain available for all future characters you create. So, specializations that are acquired late game are available early game if you already have a save file in which you acquired them.

I've spent about 90% of time in normal, but I must admit I've had to switch to casual more than once. It's not usually when it's one strong foe, or enemy class in a dungeon, but sections where I am vastly out-numbered really get to me.
    Probably need to just generally improve your HP and armour. In this game I found myself giving non-tanks way more HP than I usually would in an RPG. And I actually gave my mages some strength and loaded them up with heavy armour. It felt wrong but it worked. And it looked pretty cool too.

I may have missed out on a character or something at this point, because I only have 5 at the minute, but I've gone for my main guy as the Rogue, Alistair as a bit of a tank/defender, Morrigan as Mage obviously, and doing most of the healing/support, and Zevran because his Assassination skills have proven to be much more useful than Sten's brute force.
    I'd bet that's why you have problems with crowds. Only one tank and limited crowd control ability from having just one mage. Who else do you have? Sadly I could never get Zevran to really work right myself. He did average/good damage but I couldn't keep the little bastard alive.

Still really enjoying this game overall, the story is great, and I like how it at least *feels* as though I'm shaping it at my own choices. Atmosphere wise it really reminds me of Legacy of Kain Blood Omen. Which is one of my favourite games of all time. So that's good.
    Never played that. The atmosphere didn't remind me of any other games so much as it reminded me of Game of Thrones crossed with Wheel of Time. Which is awesome.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Actually, there is. A fairly substantial one. All the specializations you unlock remain available for all future characters you create. So, specializations that are acquired late game are available early game if you already have a save file in which you acquired them.
    Fuck. Well, my cousin only lives a few houses down and he has a PS3 so, maybe I'll talk him into letting me borrow it for 20 minutes to transfer the file over, install my new hard-drive, and transfer the file back.

Probably need to just generally improve your HP and armour. In this game I found myself giving non-tanks way more HP than I usually would in an RPG. And I actually gave my mages some strength and loaded them up with heavy armour. It felt wrong but it worked. And it looked pretty cool too.
    Well I've been pretty much playing since my last post, and I recall a lot less dying. I also totally forgot you told me to go to the tower of Magi early. I did that tonight instead, which is probably pretty late considering I've done the Elven quest before hand. I finished it though, it was cool, what was the significance of going early? If it doesn't spoil anything I could do next time around.

I'd bet that's why you have problems with crowds. Only one tank and limited crowd control ability from having just one mage. Who else do you have? Sadly I could never get Zevran to really work right myself. He did average/good damage but I couldn't keep the little bastard alive.
    At the time that was all I had, I've since recruited Wynne, she's a *hell* of a lot more suited to being a healer than Morrigan, so I've taken Zevran out of my party, and put Wynne in his place, and started using Morrigan for offensive spells. My main is kind of becoming a bit of a tank in his own right, he can toe-to-toe with most things and win comfortably now, so that really helps too. I've been boosting his strength and constitution on every level up, it's really working.

Never played that. The atmosphere didn't remind me of any other games so much as it reminded me of Game of Thrones crossed with Wheel of Time. Which is awesome.
    Definite Game of Thrones vibe, yeah. Well, the Legacy of Kain is a 5 part series of games at this stage, across the PS1 and PS2, my second favorite series save for only Metal Gear. Blood Omen (which is the first one) in particular is absolutely amazing. The voice acting in that game absolutely sets the standard in my mind for what voice acting in games should be. Oddly enough the actor (Simon Templeman) that plays Logain in Dragon Age plays the main character Kain in all of the Legacy of Kain games. That probably helps the vibe I'm getting.

But just the overall layout of an action RPG, with a huge story, and massive landscape, and all those NPC's to talk to, and weapons and spells. Man, Blood Omen is fucking awesome. It seriously has the greatest dialog in any game ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwS_GbMo99Y
    "Call your dogs, they can feast on your corpses"
    What more could anyone want in a game?

And for Simon Templeman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j33Lp...557&feature=iv
    Last edited by mrconeman; 09-05-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

I also totally forgot you told me to go to the tower of Magi early. I did that tonight instead, which is probably pretty late considering I've done the Elven quest before hand. I finished it though, it was cool, what was the significance of going early? If it doesn't spoil anything I could do next time around.
    Oh, two things really. You get all those free attribute points while in the Fade and I just feel it's nice to get those as soon as possible. And the second thing is Wynne.

I also feel going there early plays out nicely with the flow of the overall story, though that did not factor in to my recommendation.

At the time that was all I had, I've since recruited Wynne, she's a *hell* of a lot more suited to being a healer than Morrigan, so I've taken Zevran out of my party, and put Wynne in his place, and started using Morrigan for offensive spells.
    Yeah, that's what I expected. I basically always wanted Alistair and Wynne in the group. Which sucked in a way because that only gave me one party slot to play around with. Over multiple playthroughs I intended to really try using other characters a lot but it was so hard to make myself do it. I just really felt the Alistair/Wynne combination was far superior to anyone else. And any time I left Alistair out of the group it felt wrong since he's a Grey Warden. But maybe you'll feel differently. I felt DA2 was better in this regard though. It had more characters who were truly viable choices.

Well, the Legacy of Kain is a 5 part series of games at this stage, across the PS1 and PS2, my second favorite series save for only Metal Gear.
    Oh yeah, actually I think I played the first one and maybe some of the second one. I remember liking it but RPGs weren't really my thing back then.

I think I'd probably have to rate Resident Evil as my favorite series. GTA would be second and Metal Gear would be third. I've only played 3 of the Metal Gear games which is why I'm hesitant to rate the series higher and...Oh, fuck. I just sold my PS2 the other day and I'm only now remembering why I hadn't sold it before. I had meant to keep it until I played Snake Eater. Fuck me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwS_GbMo99Y
    "Call your dogs, they can feast on your corpses"
    What more could anyone want in a game?

And for Simon Templeman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j33Lp...557&feature=iv
    Watching those now I think I'd enjoy the game far more now than I did back then. That's awesome that Templeman did the voice. Love his voice.

You're a bit of a Joss Whedon fan, right? Alistair was based on Xander from Buffy and Wash from Firefly. I can totally see it.

Did you know that Tim Curry does the voice of Howe? Also, I don't know if you're a trekkie at all, but Flemeth is voiced by Kate Mulgrew who played Captain Janeway on Voyager and the elf leader (Zathrian I think his name was?) is voiced by Tim Russ (or something similar) who played Tuvok on Voyager.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

woot firefly!

that is all.

Oh, two things really. You get all those free attribute points while in the Fade and I just feel it's nice to get those as soon as possible. And the second thing is Wynne.
    Yeah, I'll do well to remember this next time around. I had a feeling when I seen the little...ermm...board game looking thing for lack of a better term, that the Fade would be an extremely tedious, room after room of solo fights, but those shape shifting abilities actually made it a lot of fun.

I just really felt the Alistair/Wynne combination was far superior to anyone else. And any time I left Alistair out of the group it felt wrong since he's a Grey Warden. But maybe you'll feel differently. I felt DA2 was better in this regard though. It had more characters who were truly viable choices.
    I totally get that. It almost really feels like Alistair is the second main character, as if he should be there for all the important events. Right now I'm in the deep roads, and it's the first time I've had him out of my party, because I wanted to test out the new Dwarf warrior in his place. I can't really part with Morrigan and Wynne, as mages they are just too damn useful, and ones offensive and ones a healer.

Oh yeah, actually I think I played the first one and maybe some of the second one. I remember liking it but RPGs weren't really my thing back then.
    Blood Omen really is an entirely different game to the rest of the series, impossible to explain without playing them, but it's a fantastic series anyway.

I just sold my PS2 the other day and I'm only now remembering why I hadn't sold it before. I had meant to keep it until I played Snake Eater. Fuck me.
    Dreadful mistake

Watching those now I think I'd enjoy the game far more now than I did back then. That's awesome that Templeman did the voice. Love his voice.
    He's in a bunch of my favourite games. He's also in Final Fantasy XII, but the less said about that the better. He will always be Kain.
    Oh he was fucking awesome in an Episode of Angel too actually. I don't know if you'll remember, but Matthias Pavayne? That was him. I'm impressed that I didn't have to google that, I just remembered because I was really excited when I found out Simon Templeman was going to be in Angel.
    You're a bit of a Joss Whedon fan, right? Alistair was based on Xander from Buffy and Wash from Firefly. I can totally see it.
    Oh, man. Definitely. I was really suprised in that the humour in this game is....actually...funny. Something games almost always fail to be. Alistair is definitely the medieval Wash/Xander

Did you know that Tim Curry does the voice of Howe? Also, I don't know if you're a trekkie at all, but Flemeth is voiced by Kate Mulgrew who played Captain Janeway on Voyager and the elf leader (Zathrian I think his name was?) is voiced by Tim Russ (or something similar) who played Tuvok on Voyager.
    I can't think of who Howe is right now...but I'm sure I'd recognise Tim Curry's voice. Hopefully I'll see him again. I'm not a Trekkie at all really, but Voyager is actually the only series I'm familiar with, it always seemed to be on the TV when I came home from primary school all those years ago. Now that you mention it, yeah, Flemeth definitely sounds like an aged Janeway.

God Damn, I am enjoying this game. Seriously, most fun I've had in ages, I would have happily paid the full retail price when it first came out, there's just so much game to play in this disk. I can't remember why I avoided buying it. This last play through has probably been the most fun. I think I've finally gotten to grips with everything, and although the Dwarven quest has been long as hell (the only one I've had to stop in the middle of) it's also been the most fun and challenging. Awesome game, I hope DA2 is as good when I buy it after completion.

I've overcome my out-numbered problem in a few different ways now, but most notably is having the Ranger special ability/talent/whateveritscalled. Calling in an animal to act as your fifth party member is extremely helpful.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Bioshock 2, and i dont know why. I didn't like the first one. We'll see how it goes.
    "Hey, I know you're upset, but if you ever mention my mother's loins or their frothiness to me again, I don't know what I'll do ... but it will be bad. Now let's go bury this dead hooker."

You... didn't like the first one? I wasn't sure that was even possible.
    I wrote a four word letter.

A couple of things I'd like to point out about Dragon Age.

Both of you, PiB and Coneman, seem to consider Alistair as a non-replaceable tank guy, have you tried Shale? I liked the golem better, he's a lot less complicated in tank role but is effective, I didn't put any (!) points in stamina yet he doesn't have any problems with survivability, supported by a single healer Wynne. I did, however, gain Shale' sympathy to the max to get massive stamina bonus, which wasn't difficult. If it works on hard difficulty, it should be even better on normal. It's basically a rock that runs in, uses areal taunts and shouts to keep enemies' focus and takes all the beating. As the character, Shale is pretty cool as well, a lot of cynical humor and conversations, the golem quests are neat too. Also, shale uses unique kind of equipment. The only bad things I can think of would be: first - it's a DLC and second - Shale's step stomping can get annoying after a while. Recommending to give him a try because it's a worthy replacement for Alistair, also, besides tanking mode, Shale has ranged/melee aerial damage modes as well as a support aura mode.

Wynne is just too good party member too good to pass by, I end up using her every time, which is actually annoying, considering she's the most boring character with no interesting conversations or humor whatsoever.
    Morrigan is fine as a character, but the starting set of her spells, as well as shapeshifting specialization are something I've always felt bad about, because if your main isn't a mage, you're pretty much screwed if you are aiming for a perfect offensive caster in your group.

About voice acting - have you played Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? I thought the game was fantastic, with some flaws, but a hell lot of fun, it has some the most memorable game characters I've experienced and excellent voice acting.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?