Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: What video games are you playing? pt. 2

I've been playing a lot of Super Smash Bros. Brawl lately. My Xbox360 red ring'd back in May, and there really aren't any other Wii games worth playing at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

I'm so glad I didn't get a 360. The old X-Box itself was pretty disgusting. Seeing those giant consoles that seem like they are about to explode with their giant fans makes me want to barf. I'd rather go Wii or old school. The Wii is a pretty sell-out console with the hundred lame-ass sell-out games it has though, ugh.

A sad time for video games indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by sKratch View Post
    It's been forever since I played, but:
    http://bf2s.com/player/44182845/

These days I'm still playing Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (only DOTA though), and I'm playing through STALKER: Clear Sky. I think it's a lot less buggy than Shadow of Chernobyl but I enjoyed that game anyways. The night is fucking pitch black in clear sky and I screwed up upgrading my armor to have night vision, so that's a little annoying.

Titles I've recently played through:

Crysis: Warhead
    Pretty decent game. Definitely good bang for its buck. Amazing graphics, doesn't really bring anything new to the Crysis story, but if you loved Crysis you'll enjoy Warhead. I'll paraphrase a review that says you really don't have to worry about ammo in this expansion pack; they generally hook you up with grenades, guns, etc on a regular basis. More of a shoot-everyone-and-blow-shit-up game than Crysis was.

Spore
    Tons of fun through the first few stages! One of the more popular criticisms of Spore is that it's not really a new game, it's a bunch of games that already exist put into one game. This is sort of true, but I still think it's a great game. Once you become a space-fairing civilization, things slow down a lot. The game turns into "Go here. OK now go here. Go over there now." However, I still enjoyed outer space for some time. I stopped playing before I reached the top rank. Also, I should note I didn't buy it, so I have no online content.

Super Mario World
    Awesometown. I got up to Bowser right around the start of the semester and for some reason I stopped playing. A ton of fun, though, that game is.

Games I look forward to checking out:
    Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, GTA4 for PC, maybe Dead Space also
    SWEET! Another WC3 player. However, I've quit DOTA, I play UA2 and make my own maps now.

Also Fallout 3. Really looking forward to the downloads coming up (1 an Jan, 1 in Feb, 1 in Mar)

And say what you will about the Red Ring, the 360 is still the best current gen console.

The PS3 - basically just a buggy Blu-Ray player (formatting issues), with no game selection. The only noteworthy games (exclusive only, cross-platform really dont count) are MGS4 and Little Big Planet. Resistance 1 was good, but 2 blew balls. Also, Playstation Network always has sucked balls, and always will. Xbox Live is 3000000 times better.

The Wii - Too little variety. I can only stand so many tennis, ping pong, and golf games. But it does have quite a few fun games too, like Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and Zelda. The best choice for "retro" game fans.

The 360 - only issue is the red ring, and this issue is a lot less common with the newer 360 models. Halo 3, Gears 1, Gears 2, Fable 2, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, just overall the best game selection all around.

The only one of the systems of this current gen that I find flat-out BAD is the PS3. It just strikes me as a superfluous system. It's like Crysis. One you get over the amazing graphics, you realize it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I beat MGS4, Resistance 1 (& 2, the disappointment) and played Little Big Planet for quite a while. However, It pretty much just is a Blu-Ray player for me now, gathering dust while I play my 360.
    Last edited by Smash_Returns; 12-28-2008 at 10:38 PM.
    "When I'm walking a dark road, I am a man who walks... Alone."
    - Iron Maiden, "Fear Of The Dark"

Quote Originally Posted by Smash_Returns View Post
    SWEET! Another WC3 player. However, I've quit DOTA, I play UA2 and make my own maps now.

Also Fallout 3. Really looking forward to the downloads coming up (1 an Jan, 1 in Feb, 1 in Mar)

And say what you will about the Red Ring, the 360 is still the best current gen console.

The PS3 - basically just a buggy Blu-Ray player (formatting issues), with no game selection. The only noteworthy games (exclusive only, cross-platform really dont count) are MGS4 and Little Big Planet. Resistance 1 was good, but 2 blew balls. Also, Playstation Network always has sucked balls, and always will. Xbox Live is 3000000 times better.

The Wii - Too little variety. I can only stand so many tennis, ping pong, and golf games. But it does have quite a few fun games too, like Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and Zelda. The best choice for "retro" game fans.

The 360 - only issue is the red ring, and this issue is a lot less common with the newer 360 models. Halo 3, Gears 1, Gears 2, Fable 2, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, just overall the best game selection all around.

The only one of the systems of this current gen that I find flat-out BAD is the PS3. It just strikes me as a superfluous system. It's like Crysis. One you get over the amazing graphics, you realize it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I beat MGS4, Resistance 1 (& 2, the disappointment) and played Little Big Planet for quite a while. However, It pretty much just is a Blu-Ray player for me now, gathering dust while I play my 360.
    This whole post really summed it up for me. The Xbox 360 in my opinion is by far the best actual gaming system around. Forget the overly expensive PS3. With it's limited game selection, along with the current big drop in the cost of standalone Blu Ray players, you are better off investing in an Xbox 360 for gaming and a standalone Blu Ray if you want it, than shelling out for a PS3.

The Wii has far to little graphical grunt and gimmicky games to be considered anything more than a very popular fad. It is simply not powerful enough to play most decent games.

As far as games I'm playing at the moment:
    *Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (Best fighting game in a long time)
    *Virtua Tennis 3
    *Condemned
    *Burnout Revenge
    Last edited by Alleviate; 12-29-2008 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash_Returns View Post

Haha i used to play Dota on WC3. Dota 3.7! lol
    I used to get so serious with it, but i stopped cos it was too addictive.
    i used to play on WEST under the name Trickery, hahaha

I picked up the new Prince of Persia game for my computer a few weeks ago but it hardly runs even on the lowest settings (despite me having more than the minimum requirements). This leads me to a couple questions I've long had but never bothered asking:
    Why is it that a console and a PC can play the same game, but to do so the PC seems to need to be significantly more powerful? I know windows eats up some of the resources, but Prince of Persia: Sands of Time came out on PS2, which is a 300 mhz system with and 32 MB of RAM and to play the game on PC it requires an 800 mhz processor and 256 MB of RAM which seems like a lot by comparison. Also, why is there such a significant increase in requirements between something like the Sands of Time trilogy and the new POP game when the gameplay is virtually identical? I mean, I know they improved the graphics and all and I'm sure there's some tweaking done that might not always be noticeable, but on the lowest settings the graphics don't look any better and everything else right down to the physics fits right in with the other games.

I've been playing Guitar Hero 3 a lot.
    I just can't get enough of that shit.

100 mhz on ps2 could mean something completely different in terms speed than 100 mhz on a pc. It's a hardware design thing. Not much to do with windows. Kind of how a new 3ghz intel core 2 duo processor is about twice as fast as an old 3ghz pentium 4 processor. Also, game console processors are design specifically for gaming, which is the reason why PCs need video cards and don't use their cpu for games. I'm sure it's more complicated than this, but I'd be talking out of my ass.
    Last edited by Jebus; 12-31-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Finishing up FFIV on the DS. Just spent two hours playing non-stop because the last stages have scarce save points, goddammit. :[
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

So, I recently made two videos for a site:

Game of the Year 2008

Crap of the Year 2008

Bing bang boom.

Columbine style.