Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 246

Thread: The Ricetigers

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    ...I still can't download it...
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    3,463


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    ...I still can't download it...
    Alright, since rapidshare acts like a whiny bitch I am now uploading the file to megaupload... I hope this will work better!

    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I80P8LOC
    Last edited by ad8; 11-09-2010 at 04:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,


    The Ricetigers

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    1,009


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ad8 View Post
    Alright, since rapidshare acts like a whiny bitch I am now uploading the file to megaupload... I hope this will work better!

    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I80P8LOC
    'The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable'
    I'm not having much luck here

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    3,463


    Default

    Alright, since my favorite two filehosters seem to have turned into whiny bitches I'm now going to upload it on the one that worked yesterday for the Static Martyr album. If Sendspace is also not going to work for me then there's probably going to be a big anti-Ricetigers conspiracy going on on the internet


    Edit: All right, third and hopefully last upload:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/xptmbx
    Last edited by ad8; 11-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,


    The Ricetigers

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    Win! Downloading now.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    Alright, so after a rigorous two-week period of recording, re-recording, mixing down, test-listening, re-mixing down and re-test-listening, I am FINALLY done with my album. As a result of all the test-listening, I'm so sick of hearing those 9 songs that I can barely stand them right now, so I decided to pop in something different.

    That was when I realized.....I haven't even unzipped the .rar of Last Bits! This is an atrocity. I have all the rest of the RT stuff saved in my MP3 folder (right between Rancid and Shoji Meguro), and yet somehow Last Bits got separated into my "Various Things" folder on my desktop. Needless to say I was able to promptly correct this error and am now test-listening to Last Bits

    I'm typing this as I listen to Back. I like Back. (cue booty bitches joke and rimshot). One thing that's hard to get used to on your stuff after listening to mine for so long is, your drums are actually on fucking time Mine are a little sloppy because I tend to go so long without practice, then suddenly try to catch up all at once as soon as I start recording. I hate it but I'm usually too busy (and lazy) to go back and correct the mistakes. Hell, what I end up with as is usually takes me at least an hour or two (just for the drum track); a lot of times I'm either out of time or too tired to go back.

    Anyway, I also realized that I never posted my formal overview of the last album before LB (I can't remember which one it was....I think it was At The Gates? Whichever one starts with the track "Intro"). I actually wrote up this long review and was gonna post it, but my internet was being retarded that day and I ended up just leaving that window queued up for like 5 days. Eventually I had to shut down my Firefox session so I saved it to a notepad file, put it somewhere and lost it. That was....yeesh, probably five months ago?

    Okay, I just hit the track called "Dissipate" and I want to say that it's probably the most unique thing on here so far. The intro sounds like a horror movie soundtrack and the chorus has this neat little backing riff. I'm getting to the point in my musical interests where I've started liking the little flavor riffs here and there; going back and re-listening to some 90's stuff kind of made me realize how simple most mainstream music is nowadays. A lot of popular songs have this kind of pop-punk power-chords-only vibe. It makes me pleasantly surprised when I hear even the slightest bit of diversity in riffage. So you might say this song cranks my tractor because it's weird and diverse.

    Alright, I gotta go to bed now. Laters

    P.S. Are Ricetigers still making material? I remember hearing that you weren't making anything else under the Ricetigers name awhile back....did I hear that right?

    EDIT: Oh dig this! "A Look Around" seriously reminds me of this Collective Soul song, at least near the beginning. I got some serious deja vu vibes from this
    Last edited by Static_Martyr; 05-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    3,463


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Alright, so after a rigorous two-week period of recording, re-recording, mixing down, test-listening, re-mixing down and re-test-listening, I am FINALLY done with my album. As a result of all the test-listening, I'm so sick of hearing those 9 songs that I can barely stand them right now, so I decided to pop in something different.

    That was when I realized.....I haven't even unzipped the .rar of Last Bits! This is an atrocity. I have all the rest of the RT stuff saved in my MP3 folder (right between Rancid and Shoji Meguro), and yet somehow Last Bits got separated into my "Various Things" folder on my desktop. Needless to say I was able to promptly correct this error and am now test-listening to Last Bits

    I'm typing this as I listen to Back. I like Back. (cue booty bitches joke and rimshot). One thing that's hard to get used to on your stuff after listening to mine for so long is, your drums are actually on fucking time Mine are a little sloppy because I tend to go so long without practice, then suddenly try to catch up all at once as soon as I start recording. I hate it but I'm usually too busy (and lazy) to go back and correct the mistakes. Hell, what I end up with as is usually takes me at least an hour or two (just for the drum track); a lot of times I'm either out of time or too tired to go back.

    Anyway, I also realized that I never posted my formal overview of the last album before LB (I can't remember which one it was....I think it was At The Gates? Whichever one starts with the track "Intro"). I actually wrote up this long review and was gonna post it, but my internet was being retarded that day and I ended up just leaving that window queued up for like 5 days. Eventually I had to shut down my Firefox session so I saved it to a notepad file, put it somewhere and lost it. That was....yeesh, probably five months ago?

    Okay, I just hit the track called "Dissipate" and I want to say that it's probably the most unique thing on here so far. The intro sounds like a horror movie soundtrack and the chorus has this neat little backing riff. I'm getting to the point in my musical interests where I've started liking the little flavor riffs here and there; going back and re-listening to some 90's stuff kind of made me realize how simple most mainstream music is nowadays. A lot of popular songs have this kind of pop-punk power-chords-only vibe. It makes me pleasantly surprised when I hear even the slightest bit of diversity in riffage. So you might say this song cranks my tractor because it's weird and diverse.

    Alright, I gotta go to bed now. Laters

    P.S. Are Ricetigers still making material? I remember hearing that you weren't making anything else under the Ricetigers name awhile back....did I hear that right?

    EDIT: Oh dig this! "A Look Around" seriously reminds me of this Collective Soul song, at least near the beginning. I got some serious deja vu vibes from this
    Haha, thanks! To answer your last question first: Yes, I am still (although really slowly) progressing... currently in the process of recording the tenth album. I need some more songs, though... but I have been writing new lyrics every now and then. The mixtape submission is off the new album.

    Also, I tried to be more diverse on Last Bits... I am pleased to see that it worked out
    By the way: I hope that At The Gates was not the last album since Last Bits that you heard because I have been making good progress since then. Let me get you updated on the recent releases: At The Gates - The Redemption - Liberty - Last Bits (Liberty being my overall favorite).
    I would highly suggest you to check them out!
    PS: I would also look forward to a long review of ATG!
    Last edited by ad8; 05-10-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,


    The Ricetigers

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    Haha, thanks! To answer your last question first: Yes, I am still (although really slowly) progressing... currently in the process of recording the tenth album. I need some more songs, though... but I have been writing new lyrics every now and then. The mixtape submission is off the new album.
    Sweet! The Your Band section has been all but dead lately, save for the BBS Mixtape and a new AoM thread every now and then. Most of the people who used to post in their band threads regularly seem to have disappeared completely....it's nice to see at least one of the vets still hanging around But also, I consider you a "rival" of sorts --- our styles may have diverged somewhat as the years go by, but I'll always consider myself to have sort of Offspring-ish punk roots, so I think we still write from the same place. So I always try to follow your stuff and sometimes I even incorporate aspects of it into my own~ So you might say I consider you sort of my, um, what --- my German counterpart? Or maybe just my punk counterpart, since I've moved on to a sort of more pop-folk genre since then? Either way, it's a fun, inspirational sort of rivalry

    I also think we're on the same page in a lot of ways; as I was listening to Freedom of Speech last night, I was skimming the lyrics pamphlet and I realized that the concept was very similar to a song I had started WAAY back in 2007 but never finished, called "Contemporary Visionary" --- the idea was that every single person has a unique perspective, but each person considers theirs completely unique and refuses to compromise, so we end up with a bunch of overspecialized, egotistical ideologues who won't listen to each other. I got the idea from watching this pastor on the internet who said that we can tell what the "objective moral truth" is by "following the law written on our heart" (which basically means, "do what feels right"). I thought, "if everybody did that, then we'd all have some completely unique idea of what's right and wrong that we'd be completely unwilling to compromise."

    But yeah, I saw your lyrics and was like, "holy shit! There's no way this could have been influenced by what I wrote because I never published it." Kind of interesting, the parallels

    (BTW, I went back recently and tried to find the word file that had the lyrics to Contemporary Visionary so I could try and re-write it --- I really liked the lyrics --- but I couldn't find it....the reason I originally scrapped it was because I wrote it before I bought Bad Religion's Recipe For Hate, and as it turns out, I had used almost the exact same intro riff to the title song off of that album. I didn't want to use it because I figured people would say I copped the Bad Religion riff and I didn't want to come across as a copycat so early in the timeline!)

    By the way: I hope that At The Gates was not the last album since Last Bits that you heard because I have been making good progress since then. Let me get you updated on the recent releases: At The Gates - The Redemption - Liberty - Last Bits (Liberty being my overall favorite).
    Yeah, I totally missed "The Redemption" and "Liberty" I don't know how that happened. Did you post them here? I thought I was following so closely....am I missing anything else? I have:

    Great Moments of Modern Society (2009)
    8 (2008)
    8 (Re-recording) (2010)
    At The Gates (2010)
    Last Bits (2010)
    Problems of Perspective (2009)
    The Other Way (2009)
    Toy of the System (2009)
    PS: I would also look forward to a long review of ATG!
    Yeah, I'll definitely have to dig that out. Worst case scenario I'll just have to re-write it from scratch, but I'd really like to read it through again because I haven't listened to ATG in awhile, so I don't have a really clear memory of it....it'd be cool to read it and be like, "Yeah, I remember now!" lol.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    3,463


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Sweet! The Your Band section has been all but dead lately, save for the BBS Mixtape and a new AoM thread every now and then. Most of the people who used to post in their band threads regularly seem to have disappeared completely....it's nice to see at least one of the vets still hanging around But also, I consider you a "rival" of sorts --- our styles may have diverged somewhat as the years go by, but I'll always consider myself to have sort of Offspring-ish punk roots, so I think we still write from the same place. So I always try to follow your stuff and sometimes I even incorporate aspects of it into my own~ So you might say I consider you sort of my, um, what --- my German counterpart? Or maybe just my punk counterpart, since I've moved on to a sort of more pop-folk genre since then? Either way, it's a fun, inspirational sort of rivalry
    I would not consider it as rivalry. I rather like to think of it as an influence/inspiration from another part of the world. I feel honored by the "german counterpart" thing because I always admired your songwriting and guitar-playing skills... but as much as I listen to your music and let it inspire me I also try to do the same thing for other artists by developing my music further and further so that my musical styles also diverge while keeping my musical roots in there at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    I also think we're on the same page in a lot of ways; as I was listening to Freedom of Speech last night, I was skimming the lyrics pamphlet and I realized that the concept was very similar to a song I had started WAAY back in 2007 but never finished, called "Contemporary Visionary" --- the idea was that every single person has a unique perspective, but each person considers theirs completely unique and refuses to compromise, so we end up with a bunch of overspecialized, egotistical ideologues who won't listen to each other. I got the idea from watching this pastor on the internet who said that we can tell what the "objective moral truth" is by "following the law written on our heart" (which basically means, "do what feels right"). I thought, "if everybody did that, then we'd all have some completely unique idea of what's right and wrong that we'd be completely unwilling to compromise."

    But yeah, I saw your lyrics and was like, "holy shit! There's no way this could have been influenced by what I wrote because I never published it." Kind of interesting, the parallels
    Haha, that is amazing! After the initial suprise it seems kind of like a logical thing to occur, though. I mean, we share many lyrical influences and think similarly. So with the about 100 songs that each of us have written, there might be one or two overlapping lyrical topics.
    When I heard some of your songs, I thought something like "wow, that is exactly what I was thinking... I wish I would have written a song like that" a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    (BTW, I went back recently and tried to find the word file that had the lyrics to Contemporary Visionary so I could try and re-write it --- I really liked the lyrics --- but I couldn't find it....the reason I originally scrapped it was because I wrote it before I bought Bad Religion's Recipe For Hate, and as it turns out, I had used almost the exact same intro riff to the title song off of that album. I didn't want to use it because I figured people would say I copped the Bad Religion riff and I didn't want to come across as a copycat so early in the timeline!)

    Yeah, I totally missed "The Redemption" and "Liberty" I don't know how that happened. Did you post them here? I thought I was following so closely....am I missing anything else? I have:

    Yeah, I'll definitely have to dig that out. Worst case scenario I'll just have to re-write it from scratch, but I'd really like to read it through again because I haven't listened to ATG in awhile, so I don't have a really clear memory of it....it'd be cool to read it and be like, "Yeah, I remember now!" lol.
    Ok, that is cool... so you'll be able to listen to two new Ricetigers albums soon! The timeline was like this:
    8 (2008)
    Toy of the System (2009)
    Great Moments of Modern Society (2009)
    Problems of Perspective (2009)
    The Other Way (2009)
    At The Gates (2010)
    The Redemption (2010)
    8 (Re-recording) (2010)
    Liberty (2010)
    Best Of (2010)
    Last Bits (2010)
    Transcranial Intricacies (working title) (release fall 2011?)
    So as you see the new album is probably going to be called Transcranial Intricacies and is going to contain the BBS Mixtape submission and some more.
    I also had a re-recording of Toy Of The System planned... I must see which parts I have to redo for that because I was quite far in the recording process.

    So here are the albums The Redemption (album nr. 7) and Liberty (nr. 8)
    Enjoy (or dont)
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,


    The Ricetigers

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    I would not consider it as rivalry. I rather like to think of it as an influence/inspiration from another part of the world. I feel honored by the "german counterpart" thing because I always admired your songwriting and guitar-playing skills... but as much as I listen to your music and let it inspire me I also try to do the same thing for other artists by developing my music further and further so that my musical styles also diverge while keeping my musical roots in there at the same time.
    Well, yeah --- oh, wow....I hope I didn't make it sound like I was just following you around and copying you or something I do always try to strike new ground, although sometimes I get nervous where I end up --- this last album was pretty piano-driven and kinda poppy, with mostly mid- and slow-tempo songs (almost no fast ones, just a couple of fast parts to slower songs). I was curious how it would be received around where I live because my stuff is a little more "amateur" compared to the professional stuff people around here usually listen to....I was afraid people might complain about the quality and the overall imperfection (a lot of people seem to have noticed, in the past at least, how my drums are sometimes kind of off).

    Anyways, I think my biggest "compass" that I use to tell me where I should go next is my guitar-playing --- every time I learn a new trick or technique, I tend to want to abuse it until you can tell I'm repeating myself, so at that point I try to write a song where I don't use any techniques I've already used recently, and a lot of times I come up with either something completely new, or a mix of a bunch of older techniques that somehow sounds new. Then and only then can I be satisfied that I am not just dwiddling around in circles

    I'm only passably good at my other instruments, anyway (piano, bass, drums, etc.). So while I try to dress up the other parts a little, the rhythm section usually gets the biggest overhaul.

    So here are the albums The Redemption (album nr. 7) and Liberty (nr. 8)
    Enjoy (or dont)
    Yay!
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •