Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: barack obama has won the 2008 election

No one, with the intent of assassinating Obama, will get within two miles of him.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    Its amazing how much the college support has had an affect on this election! In NC, the counties with the really major universities are all very heavily on obama's side. Fascinating!
    Obama's campaign will go down as the one of the best run and organized in US electoral history. Political parties across the Western world will be reformatting their organizational structure to base their future election campaigns off Obama's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Although it is still alive, racism is dying rapidly in the United States (obviously).
    I often wonder how true this is...I guess the fact that there's a black president shows some significant progress.

^Fundamentally untrue. Besides, dude is half-white. One man winning the presidency is not significant progress or even proof of progress at all: things like evening out those unemployment rates, raising college attendance numbers, and actually funding inner-city public schools and such, for example, would be significant progress.

This is what kinda scared me: people thinking that one mean's rise to this point suddenly and magically wipes out rampant racism across the nation. I mean, imagine if Alan Keyes would have won the presidency...

But back to a positive note, I've never been so excited and happy on Election Day. The streets of New York are going mad with joy.

BARACK ME OBAMADEUS!!!
    Last edited by JohnnyNemesis; 11-04-2008 at 11:38 PM.

This thread reminds me of this imdb thread.

If you can deal with 5 pages of Mr. Jack Doyle's expertise, I commend you.

Jebus, I specifically suggest you read this, as I know for a fact you'll get a kick out of it.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

"Surprise! Happy 95th birthday, Grandpa!"

"Hey, there's a small chance he's going to die tomorrow. Not trying to sugarcoat anything. 99% of people don't get to this age. I'm all for grandpa being alive and all, but we gotta be realistic here. Hey, you know what would be fun? Lets make up hypothetical scenarios for how he's going to die!"

Yeah! I got up at 7.30 this morning to know the results and it's awesome!!! Worth waking up for! And boo to those who didn't vote Obama!

I'm with OffspringHead on this. He's just being realistic and looking into the future, you guys. It's like when you go to the gas station and gas costs a leg and a half and suddenly somebody emerges from under your Toyota and SHOOTS YOU IN THE FACE. Like that, you know? Who's to say that can't happen? Why does gas cost so much. I hope Obama looks into this because it inconveniences my otherwise extremely privileged life.

[/sarcasm]

Honestly I used to think John McCain as one of the cooler Republicans before this election. His campaign was just so friggin' ugly and irrational, even some conservatives who respected him turned to the other side. It's sad. I haven't watched his concession speech but I'm sure it was good.

I think it'll be a while until somebody who actually grew up as an African-American in the US gets elected president - racism is far from dying as long as there's consistent discrimination in the structures of society. With that said, Obama's a helluva lot more black than the prezes so far, so it's a step towards something. I like that he's been very honest about his roots - he's never tried to claim he's a descendent of the slaves, he's had to face that whole culture as an outsider who's been treated as an insider because of his skin color. When I have the time (v.v.v.v. busy with uni reading) I'd like to pick up his earlier memoir (the new one might be a tad too political for my interest).

Jebus ILU.
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyNemesis View Post
    ^Fundamentally untrue. Besides, dude is half-white. One man winning the presidency is not significant progress or even proof of progress at all: things like evening out those unemployment rates, raising college attendance numbers, and actually funding inner-city public schools and such, for example, would be significant progress.

This is what kinda scared me: people thinking that one mean's rise to this point suddenly and magically wipes out rampant racism across the nation. I mean, imagine if Alan Keyes would have won the presidency...
    For a while, I've known that if Obama won, you'd have lots of people acting like racism is officially no longer a problem in America. And I knew how ignorant and annoying hearing this would become. But you're saying that a black man winning the presidency isn't even significant progress? Wha? I understand that the fact that the president now has dark skin isn't exactly directly related to some of the race-related problems we have in America, but it still shows progress that America choose a black man to lead and represent the country for the first time ever. Seems like you might possibly have an unnecessarily bleak view on racism in the U.S., although it is definitely still a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    For a while, I've known that if Obama won, you'd have lots of people acting like racism is officially no longer a problem in America. And I knew how ignorant and annoying hearing this would become. But you're saying that a black man winning the presidency isn't even significant progress? Wha? I understand that the fact that the president now has dark skin isn't exactly directly related to some of the race-related problems we have in America, but it still shows progress that America choose a black man to lead and represent the country for the first time ever. Seems like you might possibly have an unnecessarily bleak view on racism in the U.S., although it is definitely still a problem.
    It's because he's black.