Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sublime reuniting with new singer, say what?!

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Well, i'm not really a fan of Alice in Chains, so i can't really comment on that situation; however as i already mentioned I think it's a bad idea when bands replace their original singer after they have had a long established career. If the other guys want to keep playing music, they should get a new singer and form a new band, not try to keep the old one going.
    I agree with jacknife here.

I mean, could anyone here imagine (a hypothetical situation which is i hope never going to happen) if, for example, Dexter left The Offspring because of some argument, and they would replace him with someone else? In some (probably most) cases it just doesn't work (Iron Maiden are probably the exception, getting Bruce Dickinson was a great thing, but they got him just two years after their debut album). What would you think if Dave and Krist reunited Nirvana (this is very likely to happen, considering how Courtney only wants to milk their legacy to death) with another singer? Kurt was the main songwriter and the soul of the band, it would never be the same again...

Quote Originally Posted by Forza View Post
    But the singer is what truely makes a band unique, you cannot replace it.
    Only if the band's music is generic do they have to rely on the singer to make them unique. In the instances of Brad Nowell and Dexter Holland and Kurt Cobain, they were all the primary songwriters for the group as well, so replacing them would have a much deeper effect on the band's sound than say, Dillinger Escape Plan replacing their screamer when most of their songs are written by their guitarist.
    Last edited by nieh; 11-15-2008 at 09:57 AM.

And don't forget how successful Back in Black was after AC/DC got a new singer....

Do any of you think Sublime getting a new singer is the worst news you've ever seen or heard of? I kinda do actually, or it could be some kind of early April Fools joke. But, in any way, I can tell that this news is about 95% fake. As I mentioned before, I have no idea where those rumors come from, but whoever first posted the news about this on Distortedmagazine.com seems to be very antsy about April Fools.

To those that say Sublime could never be the same without Brad, I couldn't agree more. But just because Eric and Bud would reform a band as Sublime with a new singer doesn't mean they should change the name or whatever. It'll just be a new incarnation. Some old bands reform or continue without their original singer, who is dead or still alive, sometimes, including Anthrax, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Sepultura, Black Flag, Alice in Chains (they reformed with a new singer after Layne Staley died), Snot (they just got back together this year with a new singer), AC/DC (they immediately got a new singer after Bon Scott died), Thin Lizzy (they've been recruiting new singers long after Phil Lynott died), and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

there was a rumor a few years back they were getting back together with dave quackenbush on vocals....

love dave, but thats ridiculous.

The only rumor i heard that was more ridiculous, was the rumor a couple years ago that the clash was returning with tim armstrong on vocals.... terrible.

that might be a fun thread... ridiculous music/movies/whatever rumors...
    Rita corny, Michael

I just found on Wikipedia that there rumors saying that their new singer is called Rome, who once played with Eric Wilson. There's a clip about this right here.

A source is also mentioning Dexter to possibly be the new singer, saying:

Because not only does he enjoy his success with The Offspring, but having Bob Rock (of Metallica fame) produce his band's new album and writing a song for the Japanese duo Puffy AmiYumi don't seem like the best career options for the legendary frontman right now.
    Other than him, they're also mentioning RAS-1 (Long Beach Dub Allstars), Ian McKaye (Minor Threat, Fugazi), Jim Lindberg and Fletcher Dragge (both Pennywise), and Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex101 View Post
    A source is also mentioning Dexter to possibly be the new singer,

Other than him, they're also mentioning Ian McKaye (Minor Threat, Fugazi), Jim Lindberg and Fletcher Dragge (both Pennywise), and Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day).
    lol these rumors are ridiculous

How is Bob Rock producing the latest album not the best career choice? He's the best producer they ever had!

Also, there was an interview way early on in the year where Dexter said he was happy with The Offspring and there were no plans to do a side project or split up.

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    lol these rumors are ridiculous
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cock Joke View Post
    How is Bob Rock producing the latest album not the best career choice? He's the best producer they ever had!
    That's what I thought. The Offspring working with Bob kinda was the band's best career choice.

It would be nice if there was some way to find out who writes those stupid articles about Sublime coming back with a new singer. I'm sure it wasn't me anyway, it must have been some punk who enjoys April Fools jokes.