Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Religion and their new album

I went to the 90s night of the three night stand at Irving Plaza. It was a lot of fun. But it also solidified my theory that old ppl singing about not letting people tell you what to do comes across as pretty sad and pathetic. Not saying that old punks in their mid to late 40s should start writing songs about their 401Ks and ish, but I feel like they've lost their way a bit. "Wrong Way Kids" was the only song from the new album they played that night (I think), and all I could think about the whole time was "Really, dude?" and "Why does he keep pronouncing it 'keeeeds'?" Like from South Park, when Cartman becomes a Latino schoolteacher. 'How do I reeeach theese keeeeds?' Anyway. I thought it was a great show, and they sounded great overall. But everyone is old. I was one of the youngest there. They were too old for a song like "A Walk" when they wrote it, let alone 15 years later.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

I went to the 90s night of the three night stand at Irving Plaza. It was a lot of fun. But it also solidified my theory that old ppl singing about not letting people tell you what to do comes across as pretty sad and pathetic. Not saying that old punks in their mid to late 40s should start writing songs about their 401Ks and ish, but I feel like they've lost their way a bit. "Wrong Way Kids" was the only song from the new album they played that night (I think), and all I could think about the whole time was "Really, dude?" and "Why does he keep pronouncing it 'keeeeds'?" Like from South Park, when Cartman becomes a Latino schoolteacher. 'How do I reeeach theese keeeeds?' Anyway. I thought it was a great show, and they sounded great overall. But everyone is old. I was one of the youngest there. They were too old for a song like "A Walk" when they wrote it, let alone 15 years later.
    Wow...really? Wrong Way Kids was my favorite song off the new album. It has this kind of melancholy reflective feel to it, really nostalgic. I like that line where he says, "Kids today are gone away, petitioning the dust/With no one to look up to because they're looking up to us." It's like he's saying that, if our kids and this generation's youth are blowing us off, then it's our fault for not being relevant to them and trying to understand them. So I see that more as a song deliberately intended for older people, appealing to their memories of their youth as well, telling them to remember what it was like when they were kids ("Did you ever want to take bad advice? Did you ever want to go and take it twice?").

On the one hand I kinda see what you're saying, but I don't really see them as "singing songs about not letting people tell you what to do." I mean, they DO do that, but to me there's slightly more than that; it's not *just* "rebelling against authority," it's finding something to believe in on your own, and not just settling for what someone else can find for you. I always felt like they were telling you to make your own life and not follow other people's lead (even their own, like in No Direction, which they played at the show I went to ). To me, that kind of message (while obvious to some who were lucky enough to find it in their earlier years) is appropriate for all ages.

Also, my show was a Halloween show, so they were deliberately a lot more over the top (Greg Hetson was a woman, someone from MTV if the jokes made were to be believed; I dunno who Graffin was supposed to be, but he implied he was Jim Lindberg from Pennywise. I dunno if he was joking 'cause I don't know Pennywise, but he was speaking with a New Jersey accent in between songs, if that helps; Jay Bentley was a Werewolf, and as far as I could tell Brooks and Brian Baker weren't dressed up). So it had more of that "party vibe" and the focus was more on fun than on overly contemplating the lyrics or anything
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Right, they're fun -- I had a lot of fun at the show myself! I was just trying to say in my own inelegant way that some of the songs have aged about as well as a lot of the dads in the audience...that is to say, not so well. "Epiphany" is hands down my favorite of the new songs. I feel like they'd be best served writing more songs like that rather than youth gone astray. But that's because I'm a cranky old woman.

Yes, they were MTV characters -- they were the cast of The Jersey Shore. Greg G. was The Situation, Greg H. was Snooki, etc etc.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

They do not say "keeds" only in "Wrong Way Keeds" on the new album. I also heard it in Pride And The Pallor and some other song on the album, I believe it is a kind of a gimmick.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

It was ok, i mean it had some good tracks, but it aint Suffer.

Who gives a shit about how old they are? The shit they're talking about is relevant to what's going on in the world at the moment(most of the time).
    fuck fuck shit fuck

@ miss 1565.

a lot of what you say really surprises me, although maybe lot of it's cause i'm the other side of the pond. i saw them twice in a week in... august i think. one of the best shows of my life just cause i love em so much and i needn't say more. but at their first show i felt pretty old and i'm 18. there was a fuckload of 14-16 year olds, some of them hadn't even come with their dads! i thought this indicated pretty well how what they sing hasn't aged too much to lose its relevance (personally i believe punk rock doesn't age that much though as it's all got the same basic formula. maybe you're talking more about the lyrics, but i've never really had a problem with the sound sounding aged to me other than on into the known =p)

on the subject of the new album, i'm disappointed. i agree they shouldn't even touch the don't be a trendy asshole subject but for the large part they don't. i'm not going to go into why i don't like it i just found it totally weak but i think most fans feels the same. i like pride and pallor, the second half of the day the earth stalled is awesome but that's about it really.
    but not in a gay way

Quote Originally Posted by Music4life View Post
    It was ok, i mean it had some good tracks, but it aint Suffer.
    Same here. I kinda like the new album, but it's kinda not as good as Suffer or No Control.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex101 View Post
    Same here. I kinda like the new album, but it's kinda not as good as Suffer or No Control.
    I tend to think similarly, but a while ago I realized that the newer albums are great, too. They are just different, and I don't think that the band is going to create a second Suffer, No Control or Against The Grain because they try to evolve a bit with each album. So No Control may remain my favorite BR album, but I don't think that there'll ever be another one like it. Right now, I think that the Dissent Of Man might just be on a level with No Control in 5 years for me, so I'll give it a "benefit of the more recent albums".
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Quote Originally Posted by ad8 View Post
    I don't think that the band is going to create a second Suffer, No Control or Against The Grain because they try to evolve a bit with each album.
    I second this. The band is not changing completely of course but hell, even Bad Religion does have to evolve. If all the albums after Suffer were completely like it, it might get boring after a few years imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.