Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama's Stimulus Package

Default Obama's Stimulus Package

Do you support the stimulus package? Or would lower taxes and tax cuts be a better answer to the problem.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Lightbulb

Quite frankly, when the GOP's response to everything is "tax cuts", good economy or bad, budget surplus or budget deficit, you have to see it as blatant pandering. Worse, it's a pandering that is going to destroy our economy, if it hasn't already doomed it.

That said, the Democrats scare the hell out of me, because I fear they may not have learned the lessons of the Republican failure and may end up mismanaging Congress so badly they they hand power back over to a Republican party that needs a good decade or two of wandering in the wilderness in order to rebuild into a coalition that can actually govern. I think the Democrats can govern on a scale of average to poor, but I don't have any faith that the Republicans could govern at all.

The stimulus package is exactly the type of BS that we don't need. Under the threat of a faltering economy, we're being force-fed a "vital" stimulus that needs to be passed, and passed now. However, the package is about half stimulus and about half funding for Democratic pet projects. Democrats are using the urgency of aiding the economy to pass through their political agenda. Now, granted, I agree with most of their political agenda, but to force it through as part of needed aid is ridiculous, undermining both the aid (the percentage of the package devoted to actually stimulating the economy may be too small to be effective, leaving us worse off) and their legitimacy as a party, substituting politicking for effective governance.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Quote Originally Posted by Mota Boy View Post
    Quite frankly, when the GOP's response to everything is "tax cuts", good economy or bad, budget surplus or budget deficit, you have to see it as blatant pandering. Worse, it's a pandering that is going to destroy our economy, if it hasn't already doomed it.

That said, the Democrats scare the hell out of me, because I fear they may not have learned the lessons of the Republican failure and may end up mismanaging Congress so badly they they hand power back over to a Republican party that needs a good decade or two of wandering in the wilderness in order to rebuild into a coalition that can actually govern. I think the Democrats can govern on a scale of average to poor, but I don't have any faith that the Republicans could govern at all.

The stimulus package is exactly the type of BS that we don't need. Under the threat of a faltering economy, we're being force-fed a "vital" stimulus that needs to be passed, and passed now. However, the package is about half stimulus and about half funding for Democratic pet projects. Democrats are using the urgency of aiding the economy to pass through their political agenda. Now, granted, I agree with most of their political agenda, but to force it through as part of needed aid is ridiculous, undermining both the aid (the percentage of the package devoted to actually stimulating the economy may be too small to be effective, leaving us worse off) and their legitimacy as a party, substituting politicking for effective governance.
    Why exactly would tax cuts be a poor option right now? Wouldn't that simulate the economy? I'm not saying I feel that way, but I just thought I'd bring up that point since it's a popular argument right now.

I definitely agree that it's a mistake to pass a stimulus bill that includes funding for pet projects. Especially considering how good Republicans are at propaganda. It really gives guys like Rush Limbaugh a chance to undermine the credibility of Obama's administration. I haven't heard anyone publicly state that they support the stimulus package, and dishonesty like this is going to make it even harder to support it.

I like Obama's package.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    I like Obama's package.
    You might be the first person I've heard say this. I guess maybe a lot of people support it, but choose not to be vocal about it. I think the success of conservative propaganda and talking points has a lot to do with this. A lot of the people who bash the idea of a stimulus package probably don't really understand how it's supposed to work in the first place. But they just repeat conservative talking points loud and proud, and it sounds like they know what they're talking about. Meanwhile, the people who support it generally keep quiet, because it's more complicated to justify (and all the non-stimulus stuff in the bill isn't making it any easier). I kind of think this is important, because masses of people can end up supporting ideas that are easier to understand, rather than the best ideas, thanks to propaganda.

Anyone hear that? It sounded like a "whoooooosh" to me.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Anyone hear that? It sounded like a "whoooooosh" to me.
    And I still don't get it.

Do I have to say it?

Learn to read. Hell learn to read into things.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

his package is stimulating.

its a penis joke.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 02-02-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Stimulus packages get me all hot and bothered.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk