View Poll Results: should the offspring play for the troops in iraq?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes sounds like a good idea

35 45.45%
  • no just focus on a regular tour

42 54.55%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: should the offspring play for the troops in Iraq?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    I don't think they should go. They've never supported the war, they're against it. And even though Noodles said that the troops didn't decide to start the war but Bush did, they're still fighting the war.
    Those people are fighting for something, dying for something, and then some band comes along to play for them even though that band's against what they're fighting for.
    It'd be a lot better to have a band play who actually support the war.

Blergh, that ^ doesn't sound as clear as it did in my head.
    I see it similarly. It's a bit awkward. It's not black or white.

They could be seen as pro-war by a dull audience.

It's their decision.

There is a difference between supporting the War, and having solidarity with the individual soldiers. Playing a show to entertain coalition soldiers in either Iraq, or Afghanistan is quite a bit different to endorsing the policies of the Bush Administration.

And although i'd have no issue with them doing so, they don't really seem like the type of band, that would do such a thing. Nor do I know how well received they would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I know there's a difference, a huge difference. But if you're fighting there I don't think it would be the best thing to have a band play there that's against the war. I mean, the soldiers probably need every little piece of support to get them through that period of time.
    * !

I know there's a difference, a huge difference. But if you're fighting there I don't think it would be the best thing to have a band play there that's against the war. I mean, the soldiers probably need every little piece of support to get them through that period of time.
    Soldiers love their jobs, they love new great guns and aircraft, I think for them is just a fun and lots of money. They retire at 35. They maybe miss their families and friends, but they donīt suffer. Ooooooo no.
    Soldiers in WWI and WWII were heroes, our soldiers are just working for money.
    And I know Dexy is inelligent and he would never mess with them.

i guess that everybody knows about rock-metal culture against the wars,fascism and military policies and offspring can protest this war and other wars with their concert,maybe they couldnt go there but they can say this in concerts.but not for soldiers,they have to do it for to be against the allwars
    Akıllı ol;ĮARŞI BURADA

That's true. The band just wouldn't be a good fit for a USO show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I hear ya. Like, I crocheted a blanket in November that I sent to a veteran's hospital for an Iraq vet who was wheelchair-bound and in the hospital for the holidays, but I'm against the war. There are a lot of things you can do to support the troops without being in support of the war, but going to the front to play, those are soldiers on active duty and it's a totally different set of circumstances. It'd be more appropriate for bands who are supporting the war to go, I think. But whatever, if the band wants to go then they should. Up to them.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

If this thread has taught us anything, it's that we need a Dexter on Song for Jennifer Lost the War!

I don't think Jeniffer Lost The War is about war at all. "The war" is everybody's struggle to fit in society, you know, forcing yourself to be what they want you to be, "we're all just soldiers" - everybody has to participate in that "war", little girls being abused ="loose the war", but "soldiers" keep their mouths shut and focus on their duty instead, it's easier this way for them to keep image of successful part of society and to cover their doubts with "she must have really sinned".
    Maybe, it has some anti-media context as well.

It doesn't make too much sense, but I guess back then Dexter was young, rebellious and quite impudent , those were his early lyrics and he could exaggerate at some places.

Anyway, I agree with Tijs' point, I would prefer for Offspring to do just usual touring.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

of course NOT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Free? View Post
    Offspring playing for Free? That would be awesome!
    The Portuguese Chapter:
    Site/Forum/Wiki: www.offspringportugal.com