Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planet Nibiru

Default Planet Nibiru

http://dsc.discovery.com/space/my-ta...-morrison.html

I don't know if you've talked about this in another thread, but I just wondered what you thought about it. Cause people made a whole fuss about the end of the world in the year 2000, which obviously didn't happen. Now with global warming and all, there's this planet that's said to cross by the earth in 2012 and the one thing that seems sure is that it's on its way, we don't know if it's gonna cause any dammage or not, though.

The scoop: Conspiracy theorists are convinced a rogue planet will destroy the Earth in 2012.They say that this threatening planet on a 3600-year orbit was discovered by the ancient Mesopotamians, who named it Nibiru, and it was known also to the Mayans, who associated it with the end of their calendar "long count" in December 2012. In Web sites, blogs, and radio talk shows, they insist that NASA is tracking Nibiru -- but that this information is being kept from the public as part of a worldwide conspiracy.

They say the official silence can't be maintained for much longer, however, because by 2009 Nibiru will be visible to the naked eye from the southern hemisphere. They also say Earth's axis is already tilting and the length of the day is changing under its influence. As one believer recently wrote to me, "Why are you lying. It's coming, and everyone knows it."

So what do you guys think?

Nice article find.

I just finished Michael Crichton's State of Fear. I enjoyed the novel because it dealt heavily with issues I care about. Namely how manipulation of data and speculations are used in the media as scientific fact, and we get things like Y2K, killer africanized bees, global warming, etc. and so on. (I just read in the paper that the ocean was going to rise a whole lot soon and sink most of Denmark, oh no!)

Take this article for example. There is so little that we know about the Mayans. Yet the claim is that the Mayans discovered this planet, they were able to plot it's course through our galaxy (and also able to plot the earth's course), discovered it would one day crash into us and then based their calendar on that. Not only did the Mayans write this down, but they also named the planet Nibiru. (Just read the article, apparently it was the Mesopotamians! My bad!) The idea that this is true is absurd.

And yet, like the article says "But their uncritical acceptance of this story worries me as a warning of the dangers of our current scientific illiteracy."

Also lol at:
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    One of funniest things about this Nibiru story is that it is a rerun -- there was a big Internet concern that Nibiru would destroy the Earth in May of 2003. Something tells me this didn't happen, yet now the same myth is resurrected. Are we condemned to suffer a Nibiru scare every decade in this century, or will people come to their senses?
    Last edited by wheelchairman; 01-12-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

If memory serves me correctly there is something of armegeddon size that'll be passing earth within the next few years, with a 1/100,000 chance of hitting us.

There's an apocalypse theory every decade or so. It's natural. I was just watching a show on the history channel where they turned a few doodles of nostradamus into a very elaborate theory of the end of humanity in 2012. People always cite crazy weather as your first sign. And there'll always be a big hurricane/tornado/tsunami/earthquake/dust bowl/volcano eruption or something in recent memory. Then they point to the Mayans who's calendar ends in 2012. But then again, these people though the Sun was a god who might go away if we anger him, so I'm taking their astronomy predictions with a big rock of salt.

And the leading advertisers on that show? Batteries, bottled water, and canned soup.

Pretty interesting article, thanks.

Well, I'd already known about about the mayans calendar part before the article, and it's really interesting. Thing is, a lot of things tend to show that the world will be gone by the end of 2012.
    They say the official silence can't be maintained for much longer, however, because by 2009 Nibiru will be visible to the naked eye from the southern hemisphere.
    How do they know it will be visible to the naked eye since NASA has been mantaining silence about it?
    Anyway, soon we will be able to know if we'll really be able to see it or not, if so, we'd better not make plans for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Nice article find.

Also lol at:
    Thanks. It's my mum who found it actually.
    I'll quote this from the text "One of funniest things about this Nibiru story is that it is a rerun -- there was a big Internet concern that Nibiru would destroy the Earth in May of 2003. Something tells me this didn't happen, yet now the same myth is resurrected. Are we condemned to suffer a Nibiru scare every decade in this century, or will people come to their senses?"

It's the kind of thing that would worry loads of people when I can't be bothered to worry too much. Cause there's already been loads of terrible things happening over the centuries, like earth quakes, tsunamis , hurricanes, floods and big snow falls. even at the moment despite global warming, it's the coldest winter in the last 50years (at least in England), which is a bit contradictory. So in all these things, people have died. Maybe these things might have happened because of the approach of the planet... who knows? and maybe nothing as bad as what has already been happening will happen.
    And we can't do anything about it, so there's no point panicking. It does help people who wanna do catastrophic movies I guess.

I wish there could be a tv show similar to the x-files with all the modern catastrophies and all. Could be cool.

Wow. Now that I'm reminded of it again, I hate myself for not nominating this for thread of the year 2008.
    Again, wow. Guess I'll have to live in a tent in my garden for 3 more years then...
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Honestly. Y2K, the LHC, Nibiru - some people just aren't happy if there isn't an end of the world possibility on the horizon.

What makes this so stupid is to think that if it were going to be visible to the naked eye in the southern hemisphere later this year, that some amateur stargazer (thousands of them) wouldn't have noticed it with a cheap telescope, and that some of them wouldn't have eventually figured out what it was. You wouldn't be able to keep that type of thing from sparking out - no matter what NASA wanted.

Ergo our planet is populated by idiots.

This reminds me of some of my favorite imagery ever that Endy (I think) used to describe the LHC's chances of producing black holes. He said that there's a larger chance that your toilet will suddenly start spewing lava. I loved it.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

This reminds me of some of my favorite imagery ever that Endy (I think) used to describe the LHC's chances of producing black holes. He said that there's a larger chance that your toilet will suddenly start spewing lava. I loved it.
    For sure. Our planet might be populated with idiots, but a scientist working on the LHC is not one of them.
    Don´t take life too seriously... you’ll never escape it alive anyway

i believe that was skratch. and he was correct.

also, even entertaining the thought that the fucking mayans could accurately predict something like this makes you an idiot.

but they were a highly advanced society that worshiped the sky!
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.